VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey everyone,

I just bought a second Maxtor 5000dv 200gb Firewire External Hard Drive (what a mouth full), taking my total to 600gb wahay !!!.

Do you think I should of gone with the 5000xt 250gb for an extra £20. It is going to be used for editing and storing of films etc.... Some specs

5000DV

8mb Buffer Size
    40mb/s Max Trans Rate
    7200 rpm
    Seek time 9 ms

5000XT

2MB Buffer Size
    37.5mb/s Max Trans Rate
    5400rpm
    Seek time 11ms

Went with the 5000DV as the one I have seems slow some time when doing things such as merge and cut in tmpgenc compared to an internal so I thought the second would be worse. However an extra £20 for 50gb extra is also quite attractive.

Opinions please, so I can kick myself at making the wrong decision. But whatever I have 600gb now !!!!!
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
  2. I would have plumped for the quicker drive, stuff the extra 50Gb.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you chose the right one, as a matter of fact I was in the process of getting 2 of those but since I am building my new system I chose to get 2 WD 200GB internal hard drives. But back to the topic, I know you are looking at the fact that you could have 50GB more for and extra 20 but the 250GB HD is a lot slower and has a smaller buffer size.

Good choice.

SLICK RICK
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Nobody likes a bunch of yackity-yack.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ok good, made me happy, let's just hope I have no grief with the delivery. I hate ordering from dabs.com but they are the cheapest for this sort of thing.
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote