VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am writing to you guys because this is a very strange problem and I have already tried everything logical to no avail.

I am capturing VHS tapes using a JVC SR-S365U VCR with S-Video then using a Pillips DVDR3475 as a TBC pass-through and capturing everything using s-video using an AverTV Volar max usb device. When I play video on the VCR it looks over saturated but them when I capture the video fix the colors and burn a DVD they are over saturated again!!! I went back and desaturated the video so much that the colors look dull, then I bun a second DVD and it looks over saturated again!!!!!!!!!!

I did reset the colors of both my Computer monitor and the TV. If I play the same DVD on my computer it looks fine, in the TV it is always oversaturated no matter what I do.

Take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think, I do not know what else to do.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TV.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	46992  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Computer.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	46993  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do other tapes have the same effect ? this tape is a copy from the original ? or is it an original recording ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Why are your images 4160x2340? You can't use that frame size for DVD.
    Can't help with images that have gone through this much processing. And no one is going to try to work with still images. Don't you know how to make and post a short, unfiltered video sample? If you don't know, ask.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Why are your images 4160x2340? You can't use that frame size for DVD.
    Can't help with images that have gone through this much processing. And no one is going to try to work with still images. Don't you know how to make and post a short, unfiltered video sample? If you don't know, ask.
    lol I KNOW THAT! My videos are captured in 720 x 480 those are pictures from my cell phone. I know how to make everything you are mentioning, those are just quick pics so people can see what I am talking about. On the TV it is very saturated even more than what you see there in the picture. it is so saturated that if you look at at the picture the top left hand corner of the screen, there is an area of darker blue that looks blocky, you do not see that on the computer. (I captured the video using lagarynth lossless so it is not compressed.) and look at the guys pants you can see how the blue bleeds into his pants, you do not notice that on the computer that much.

**If I play the video using the same DVD player connected to the TV and the computer I see it fine on the computer but oversaturated on the TV.
    Last edited by guayabito; 21st Oct 2018 at 09:58.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    Do other tapes have the same effect ? this tape is a copy from the original ? or is it an original recording ?
    Hi Eric, thank you for replying,

I have not tried it with other tapes, this is a capture of a copy and the copy is on EP speed, so the quality is not that good.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guayabito View Post
    Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post

I have not tried it with other tapes, this is a capture of a copy and the copy is on EP speed, so the quality is not that good.
    That's an important thing to know, but besides that, the video signal seems a bit strong of the JVC..... i've not seen the Manual of the JVC but are there any settings you can change ? otherwise it's a bad "feature" of the JVC, and you should try an other VCR for playback.
    a copied recording will not get that better i am afraid...

edit>
    You have the the U model ? i just took a peek at the manual, it has a pro function > recording timecode for editing.... you tried the JVC directly to capture from?
    this should not inprove the image quality i guess... but your JVC looks like an advanced machine.

it has a non drop frame mode ? EP mode is not suitable for video capture is my guess, manuallibs has an exstensive service manual with much info

in an other part of Videohelp i just read the JVC SR-S365U has no TBC.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 21st Oct 2018 at 10:36.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    Originally Posted by guayabito View Post
    Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post

That's an important thing to know, but besides that, the video signal seems a bit strong of the JVC..... i've not seen the Manual of the JVC but are there any settings you can change ? otherwise it's a bad "feature" of the JVC, and you should try an other VCR for playback.
    a copied recording will not get that better i am afraid...

edit>
    You have the the U model ? i just took a peek at the manual, it has a pro function > recording timecode for editing.... you tried the JVC directly to capture from?
    this should not inprove the image quality i guess... but your JVC looks like an advanced machine.
    Yeah my JVC is an advanced machine, I am not playing! lol What is the U model?

Other tapes look fine in the VCR it is just this one, however, I am capturing the videos using AmarecTV and fixing the colors as they are being captured, so when I playback the video on my computer it already look fine. But when I record the DVD the video comes out oversaturated again. it seems to happen only in the TV. I am thinking it might have something to do with the NTSC palette?

I am going to capture another video and burn it to DVD and see what happens.
    Last edited by guayabito; 21st Oct 2018 at 10:42.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On which device and output is your "tv" ? different outputs may have different "qualities" due to their nature, composite, component, s-video, HDMI.
    the recording is a Super-VHS recording ? recorded on the same VCR ?
    Quote Quote