VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently purchased a region 4 dvd. I`ve tried a few different methods of ripping. RipIt4Me, DVD Decrypter, and DVD Shrink.

When the iso is finally finished, i try playing it in VLC and i notice "Lines running through it". Now, i could easily just use the VLC option of removing the interlace but that won't help if i burn the dvd. So, i was just wondering, will the interlace still be there if i burn the dvd and try to watch it on my tv?

If it remains the same, is there a way to remove the interlace in the process of ripping the dvd?

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No, you wont see any interlace lines on your TV if you are using a standalone dvd player. It should look exact the same as the original dvds.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    No, you wont see any interlace lines on your TV if you are using a standalone dvd player. It should look exact the same as the original dvds.
    I'm still a little confused. So since Dvd Decrypter makes the iso region free, there won't be lines on the tv? But why does VLC show the interlace then?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by StaticSense View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I'm still a little confused. So since Dvd Decrypter makes the iso region free, there won't be lines on the tv? But why does VLC show the interlace then?
    Because you are watching on a progressive computer monitor. Select one of the deinterlace modes in VLC player under "Video" tab. "Blend" uses least CPU, "Yadif" gets best deinterlace result.

You can also select "auto" deinterlace under preferences.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Because you are watching on a progressive computer monitor. Select one of the deinterlace modes in VLC player under "Video" tab. "Blend" uses least CPU, "Yadif" gets best deinterlace result.

You can also select "auto" deinterlace under preferences.
    Awesome, thanks! So if i do end up burning it right now, and playing it on my tv, it should auto deinterlace, correct?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So if i do end up burning it right now, and playing it on my tv, it should auto deinterlace, correct?
    No. It will still be interlaced because it is supposed to be interlaced if you are watching it on a TV. Also removing the region code does NOT mean the DVD will be playable on your TV. A disc with the region code removed will still be either PAL video format or NTSC video format.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    So if i do end up burning it right now, and playing it on my tv, it should auto deinterlace, correct?
    No. It will still be interlaced because it is supposed to be interlaced if you are watching it on a TV. Also removing the region code does NOT mean the DVD will be playable on your TV. A disc with the region code removed will still be either PAL video format or NTSC video format.
    Oh alright. I didn't remove the region code, i made it region free
    Quote Quote  
  8. DVD players and TVs are designed to handle interlaced video. Removing the region code is the same thing as making the disc region free. Both refer to setting the region code (just a number on the DVD) to "all regions". You still have the issue of whether your NTSC DVD (720x480, 29.97 fps) player and TV will display PAL (720x576, 25 fps) video correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You still have the issue of whether your NTSC DVD (720x480, 29.97 fps) player and TV will display PAL (720x576, 25 fps) video correctly.
    The region 4 dvd could be NTSC. Australia, N. Zealand, Brasil and Argentina are PAL, most of the rest Mexico, Peru, Chile etc. are NTSC.
    Quote Quote