VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a source of mpg files which are interlaced in YUY2, Sony Vegas can read them and export them without any change in this.

The problem is that I'm trying to add a logo on this YUY2 video, without deinterlacing/changing field order. I just want to add the logo (*.png) and make it match the field order and the color depth.

Now I noticed that the logo is being added under a different color depth since loading the video in YUY2 in Virtualdub, will cause the interlacing of the video to play right, but the logo will look wrong.

Hope I'm being clear with this issue. Can somebody guide me in this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. In what way does the logo look "wrong" ? Can you provide a better description or screenshot or sample video ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Of course. Here are some pictures. The one in YUY2 (only the portion of the logo) has some noticeable interlacing color artefacts. Hope this clears the confusion.
    Last edited by enzeru; 16th Jun 2017 at 16:21.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It could be your method of viewing or screenshot taking. Did you use vdub? The preview and screenshot taking isn't necessarily accurate in vdub, because it upsamples interlaced chroma as progressive to RGB (chroma upsampling error or CUE).

Can you upload an actual video sample?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I'm not getting your idea (I'm not very technical in video editing). I'll try to explain it different.

Firstly, yes, I'm using vdub to check the final video since I do trust vdub for things like deinterlacing (especially using the IVTC plugin).

Secondly, I'm doing this to check if the video could be properly deinterlaced in the future by anybody who wanted to do so on computer. I do not need this video deinterlaced or progressive since it's for DVD.

Now, both the source video (without logo) and the edited video (with logo) cannot be deinterlaced using the IVTC plugin of vdub in RGB, since the deinterlaced video looks like the first picture of this post (the one that says RGB).

After changing the color depth in vdub [Video -> Color Depth...-> Decompression format: 4:2:2 YCbCr (YUY2) and Output format to compressor/display: 4:2:2 YCbCr (YUY2)], the interlacing gets fixed and now I can use the IVTC plugin to properly deinterlace the video as shown in the second picture.

After sorting this situation out, going back to my second post, you can see that the logo I added is not matching the -I think this is called "chroma"?- of the rest of the video. In other words, the whole video looks perfectly fine when loaded in YUY2 in vdub and can be deinterlaced using the IVTC plugin, howerver, it is ONLY the logo that looks odd in YUY2, as seen in the second picture of the second post (ok, it is not that noticeable, but there are some blue lines in the red part, for example).

So, I'm asking if there's an option to change in Sony Vegas to set the project OR the output to YUY2, so the logo can be displayed right in YUY2, just like the rest of the video.
    Last edited by enzeru; 16th Jun 2017 at 16:21.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Since it's for DVD, you can only use 4:2:0 , not YUY2 (which is 4:2:2) . Yes you can output 4:2:2 (uncompressed YUY2 or UYVY or anything else) from vegas; BUT it doesn't help you because it's not compatible for DVD. DVD-video is MPEG2 4:2:0 only. You can't use 4:2:2 or YUY2

This has been discussed before in many threads the problems are from vdub's upsampling of RGB for the preview , interlaced 4:2:0 YUV to RGB conversion is incorrect in vdub. It's done in a progressive manner, not interlaced so you get chroma artifacts. When you force YUY2 in the decompression options, that is a workaround only for vdub. It doesn't help you for DVD.

The underlying video is likely ok. Don't use vdub to check because it's unreliable for the chroma upsampling. Or if you want someone else to check, upload a video sample
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I did further testing and you are completely right... sorry for bothering a lot with this

The logo still looks odd, but it is still on the same type of chroma as the rest of the video.

My confusion was originated from another forum which I remember it said that there were different types of chroma for newer DVD. Guess I understood that wrong.

Thank you a lot for your patience.
    Quote Quote