VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK,

So reading a few of these posts and googling around tells me that I am a newbie of the strongest sense on this topic, so I apologize in advance and go easy on me.

I want to copy/rip my children's DVDs (I will tack on bit about BluRays in the end) and store them on a new WD MyPassport Wireless HD (2TB). From that drive, however, I need to be able to access and watch them from these devices (in priority order):

1. Ipads (iPad Air, iPad Retinal Display, iPad Air 2) - clear access method #1
    2. Several models of Samsung Smart TVs that use DLNA (5-7 Series)
    3. My PC - dead last and low priority.

The design here is clearly to be able to travel (car, flight, etc.) with their collection on teh MyPassport Wireless HD and have them access it from their iPads without packing wallets of DVDs and DVD players. As well, want to keep away from ripping all of this onto more expensive HDs directly on teh iPad and creating "islands of iPad video".

These movies include Toy Story 1-3, Frozen, Despicable Me, Wreck It Ralph, etc. and are either DVD, or DVD/BluRay/HD Digital combo packs. I am sure at some point, I will want to scale this to movies my wife owns (still DVD). Note that #2 above is specifically so that I can (one day) retire a Sony BDP-CX7000ES BluRay Changer that has never really lived up to its purpose.

What format should I put these in and what tools can I use to make this happen?

As an add-on, to make life more complex, if I did want to step this up to Blu-Ray for certain better titles, what changes?

Your help is appreciated!

Thx,
    KLM
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Install anydvd or dvdfab passkey(background dvd/blu-ray ripper) and convert to mp4(h264 video and aac audio) with handbrake or vidcoder. Use the ipad presets. It should work both ipad and most samsung smart tvs. Try convert ONE dvd and see how it works on all your devices.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!