VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    @ BilboFett: No problem. I've learnt something new too, so everyone's a winner.

@ guns1inger: Nice work! Sadly, I've deleted the files I've authored so I can't give it a go (and emptied the Recycle Bin) but I may well do when I get a chance - just out of curiousity.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So it seems a bug in DVD Lab Pro is artificially inserting a kind of 'layer break' pause at every chapter point when you make a chapter playlist?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll go one better than the instructions from the mediachance forums.

1. Open your DVD in PGCdit

2. Open the PGC that contains your sequence. The first PGC in the VTS is usually the entire sequence, with subsequent PGCs being the playlist sequence

3. Untick the flag under Layer Break ? for each cell

4. Look at the column marked Type Flags. If any cell does not have the values 8 0, click on it and untick every box except Seamless playback joint (8)

5. Repeat for each playlist

6. Save the results, burn and test

This still does not seem to solve the problem of disparate chapters still having a slight break, however it does make for a much cleaner and more consistent internal structure
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BilboFett
    Let me be more direct. I'll ask a yes or no question to everyone here. Will a chapter playlist made in DVD Lab Pro cause a slight pause at EACH and every chapter point (not just the ending) while I'm casually watching my movie?

I've stated my concern multiple times, but initially, I don't think anyone believed me...

I think the best way to simulate the seamless multi-story is by using "mixed angles." But because that is not available in DLP (which is what appears to be your software choice), then the next best thing would be to identify a scene where you could hide the jump. Have multiple assets, and join them by either using a Title Playlist, or connecting the end of the Main-Section to the appropriate "Ending Section" (condition splitter), or by using your own VM Commands. This would give you the flexibility to setup a "Scene Selection" Menu -- allowing you to jump directly to a certain chapter, and then playback flows accordingly.

NOTE 1:
    Maybe you can make a separate menu to allow the user to select between "Regular" or "Alternate Ending" playback. Or maybe during playback of either "Ending", you can add a Button-Over-Video (BOV) that will allow the viewer to manually switch to the "Other Ending"

NOTE 2: If you do setup a "Title Playlist" (in DLP it's just called "PLAY LIST" versus "Chapter Play List"), try adding a "dummy chapter" just before the very end of the "Main Section" This will be used when the user hits NEXT on their remote control, playback will jump to the "dummy chapter", then continue through the end of the "Main Section", and follow flow-control as you have defined it (if you do not have the "dummy chapter", then NEXT on the remote control "might" disrupt the flow control of your dvd).

Regards,
    George
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mixed angles wont be any more seamless than chapter playlists in DLP, and title playlists are have any even greater gap.

Anyway, we are past the pause per chapter problem now.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Mixed angles wont be any more seamless than chapter playlists in DLP, and title playlists are have any even greater gap.

Anyway, we are past the pause per chapter problem now.
    I believe a "Mixed Angle" done properly for the switch between the two endings would be MUCH MORE seamless than a Chapter Playlist or a Title Playlist. The tricky part in this scenario is the added requirement for the different duration and different audio -- but that can be worked around in order to achieve the "seamless multi-story" effect.

One issue (imho) with the Chapter Playlist is that you cannot easily setup a "Scene Selection" menu (which might or might not be needed). Also, by setting up a chapter playlist in DLP, you have confirmed the "seamless joint" issue I mentioned earlier does exist, and that you must modify each sequential chapter using external tools (PGCedit) -- but after doing so, don't you start to see what looks like a regular "Title" with chapter marks along the way...

Regards,
    George
    Quote Quote