VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9
FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    No, I don't have any links or whatever. I was present on the demonstration and some samsung technicians told me about it on an EISA meeting. Since then, I'm testing TV Screens the way they point me and yes, those features are locked.
    For example: If you feed any Tulip series Samsung LCD screen upscaled signal, the motion drive is off. Feed them 576p and the motion drive is on, but the picture is somehow "soft", smoothed.
    Use the RGB SCART connections and the picture looks far better!!!
    All the filters are on!

Don't expect links neither official infos about those matters. If you are able, take a good DVD standalone player like Pioneer 696 and a SciFi movie like Star Wars episode 3 and go to compare on a shop a Samsung M71 with the later Samsung Tulip series, or the latest Sony ones. Because of my job, I was able to do so. You gonna see the difference at once!

The only links existed, are the ones on the MSU site, regarding the filters the Samsung TVs use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How do they tell the difference in the source though? For instance an upscaled HD tv signal or an upscaled DVD signal pushed to the TV in 1080p as opposed to a true 1080P source?
    Impossible to see the future is. The Dark Side clouds everything...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HDCP: It informs that the signal come from a true 1080p source or a fake one. If the true 1080p source has some kind of flag or watermark or even something we don't know yet about it and on the upscaled signal this info is not precent, then you have what it needs to lock / unlock this features/ filters.

Locking is present on the new HDMI 1.3 connections. Only few TV Sets had motion drive with older HDMI connections.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just jumping in here. I was one of those people who resisted the move to DVD. I didn't see the point in paying more money for new shows, let alone re-buying the ones I had, and on my moniter (it's technically not a tv, but I use it as one) the quality's about the same.

I only switched formats for one reason: My VCR's kept eating tapes and back-ups were hard to make.

The thing is I don't have a reason to upgrade to HD, and I'm really not going to risk buying the wrong format.

BTW, if either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray fails do you think the titles that were released exclusivly on the failed format will be re-released on the surviving one?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rayden54
    BTW, if either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray fails do you think the titles that were released exclusivly on the failed format will be re-released on the surviving one?
    May or may not, but most likely "the third format" will be backward compatible, including CDDA, VCD, DVD-Video, and HD-DVD and BD-DVD.
    I can't imagine succeding format not to be.
    And Sony and Toshiba will give away very very cheap their patents if (or actually *when*) their formats flop, so unless there is a really big hardware problem or cost (say BD's laser is sooooooooooo expensive) I see no problem to include all of them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ugh..this is getting ugly...

NY Times Confirms $150M Pay-off to Paramount

Paramount The NY Times has confirmed via two Viacom executives, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, that Paramount has received a $150M pay-off to support HD DVD exclusively for a period of 18 months. The $150M is comprised of cash and future marketing deals. Also re-confirmed is that the deal includes no films directed by Steven Spielberg.
    This sort of thing pisses me off to no end. They aren't even interested in the formats any more. Their just making a totally unecessary profit at the expense of the buyer without considering the impact this has on these new formats. Greedy bastards.
    Impossible to see the future is. The Dark Side clouds everything...
    Quote Quote