VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a 3 mins. video. Imagine a 3 person juggling act where there are times where 1 of them drops the balls. I can see 2 options.

1) When juggler 1 drops the balls, I want to zoom into the other 2, in order to "crop out" the juggler #1 who is picking up his balls. Once he's back, we zoom back out to all 3 jugglers.

2) Or, I am willing to "freeze" the frame for those 5-6 seconds where he's picking up the balls. The sound continues on, so it just looks like a streaming error, video is "paused" and then once the juggler is back in action, we go back to normal live action.

Again, to recap, I want parts of it my video blocked out. (Some kind of live cropping, zoomed into only part of the frame ....in order to "delete" the parts I don't want to see..) Or, have the video just "pause" to skip over the parts I want censored. (So, it looks like there is a delay/freeze)

How can I proceed? Not sure where to go.
    I know how to do basic stuff like use AVIDemux, AVI Trimmers, Virtual Dub, etc
    I am willing to learn how to do this, or pay someone to do it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    What is wrong showing someone drops the ball, it can happen to the best!

Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    That is just a made up example. I need to edit a few moments out of the frame. Ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why double post?

If you want to do this with free tools, Aviutl is what I would recommend. No, I won't do this very basic and simple thing for you..................
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Well zoom, slow motion or free frame are the simplest solutions.

Slow motion would probably be the best option, slow mo just enough to overlap the "offending" frames, then cross dissolve into the present.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'm glad to know it's possible

For slomo/zoom/freeze effects,
    the free tool to use is Aviutl ?

My raw video is AVI. I work directly with that, right?
    Is this a common format for editing?

Once I am done, and ready to upload to Youtube,
    that's when I compress it into MPG or MP4 ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I don't want to slow down the audio with the video.
    When I slomo, can I have the audio just keep going in real time?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Anyone have a good link to the Aviutl download?
    The link on this forum gives you a corrupted EXE.
    This does not work: https://www.videohelp.com/software/AviUtl
    The 1.0 version is in Chinese.

Not a good sign when they can't even provide a download without F'ing it all up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GoodEnough View Post

Not a good sign when they can't even provide a download without F'ing it all up.
    You can't be that F'ing stupid, can you? If you are then Aviutl is not the program for you......
    Good luck.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Download AviUtl Extra Pack 1.11 (direct link) (39.4MB)
    This link gives you a CORRUPTED .exe.
    (Are they F'ing serious?)

Download AviUtl 1.0 (direct link)
    This link gives an app with a default font in Chinese, so you can't even try to change the settings..
    (Are they F'ing serious?)

Where the F are you supposed to download thing thing from?
    Google just ends up with spamware downloaders.
    Last edited by GoodEnough; 25th Apr 2015 at 18:24.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Are you supposed to use Aviutil 1.0 in Chinese and then add the English download?
    What an absolute F'ing joke. LMAO.

So, I downloaded "AviUtlEnMod-1.1.0.zip"
    http://downloads.ddigest.com/software/download.php?sid=553&ssid=0&did=4

I assume this is what makes the 1.0 version of Aviutil display in English?

I have no idea how to install or congifure it, b/c the README.txt doesn't address it.
    WTF do I do next?
    No wonder Adobe earns billions with brain-dead "competition" like AviUtil.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Are you supposed to use Aviutil 1.0 in Chinese and then add the English download?
    What an absolute F'ing joke. LMAO.
    Why is that a joke?
    There are more languages in the world than just English you know.

Also AviUtl is written in Japanese not Chinese.

Also you are entitled to your opinion but this constant swearing is annoying.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by GoodEnough View Post
    No wonder Adobe earns billions with brain-dead "competition" like AviUtil.
    Well then, buy Adobe Suite.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you apply ANY of the time-based effects (slomo, freezeframe, reverse, loop, speed remap, etc) to the video and NOT the audio - without compensating via editing, you would incur a (probably quite noticeable and annoying) loss of synchronization. Same thing if you did something to the timing of the audio but not the video.

Of your listed option suggestions, the Ken Burns-like pan+zoom would be the least intrusive, but you will likely incur a loss of quality during that portion, and unless your source is >2k, it will probably be noticeable to some.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can upsample (re-quantize, re-rasterize, upscale) the video to 2K, then zoom in and out more gracefully. Then when finished editing render back to whatever.

That's what Ken Burns does. Of course he does it with stills. 2K video needs a faster computer.
    Last edited by budwzr; 25th Apr 2015 at 22:56.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Does AviUtil actually work?
    Is there anyone who has gotten this ****tarded installation process to work?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search PM
    It is a very impressive software program!

And for your information in the attempt of preventing you from putting your foot in your mouth again people involved in this project regularly post on this forum.

Entirely up to you of course but I would not consider an apology to be out of place.

Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM

https://www.videohelp.com/download/AviUtl_setup.exe
    or
    https://www.videohelp.com/download/AviUtl_setup.exe?r=TRftCKQJlwR

Doesn't it work??? It works fine on Windows 7.

Or old downloads in 7z format. https://www.videohelp.com/software/AviUtl/old-versions#download
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by GoodEnough View Post
    No....as Scott says in post #14, you'll need to find a way of compensating in the editing. You need to make sure the audio track length during the slomo matches the 'new' length of that section of the video. Either 'slow down' the audio in an audio editor for that section - to match the length - or introduce some 'new' audio (or perhaps just silence?).

Is there anyone who has gotten this ****tarded installation process to work?
    Yes.. although I found the 'minimal' installation worked better for me.

Having said that, I think you may find using AviUtl a bit of a challenge. There's quite a steep learning curve to it.

You don't really come across as a patient kind of guy .... and you'll need some patience learning AviUtl at first.....
    You maybe better off going with your oiginal idea of looking to pay someone to do this? This is not a simple task for a beginner...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll do it for One Buzzillion Dollahs.
    Quote Quote  
  21. It's not that difficult to do in general terms, but sometimes there are specific issues to your footage that might make your case challenging

If you don't have time to learn, or find anyone to do it for you, one option is to check out www.fiverr.com and have it done for $5 or so
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    No....as Scott says in post #14, you'll need to find a way of compensating in the editing. You need to make sure the audio track length during the slomo matches the 'new' length of that section of the video. Either 'slow down' the audio in an audio editor for that section - to match the length - or introduce some 'new' audio (or perhaps just silence?).
    Ok, so slo-mo will cause synch issues with the audio.

Will it be easier to zoom or pan away from the juggler?
    That way the length of the video does not change,
    and there will be no audio issues.

Again, the intent is to remove a portion of the frame for certain periods of time.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Woo! Baldrick's download links worked.
    (Unlike the other dead end VideoHelp download page which should be removed!)

So now I have Aviutil installed, and in ENGLISH...

If I want to do a Zoom into part of the frame (or pan away from part of the frame)
    what general command/effect/filter do I use ?

Anyone patient enough to point me in the right direction?
    Last edited by GoodEnough; 26th Apr 2015 at 13:29.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by GoodEnough View Post
    Will it be easier to zoom or pan away from the juggler?
    If you think about it geometrically, it will be clear you have to do both.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by GoodEnough View Post
    If I want to do a Zoom into part of the frame (or pan away from part of the frame)
    what general commands do I use ? Anyone patient enough to point me in the right direction?
    You've done a great job of alienating the folks who would know best. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    ^^ Why, because I pointed out they have a totally shhhhitt installation download page with links to garbage that doesn't work?
    Some people get PAID to do this as QA.
    They should THANK me for pointing out their product installation is total amateur crap in the age of 1-click app downloads.

Someone should make this useless dead end link go away: https://www.videohelp.com/software/AviUtl
    The abortion of the downoad page makes me not even want to LOOK their docs to learn how to use the tool.
    Let's see what else they can royally screw up.
    That's the effect of that shitshow of a product installation page has on a regular "consumer".

Some poster named Baldrick had to provide a WORKING download link. Tells you everything.

If I want to do a Zoom into part of the frame (or pan away from part of the frame) what general commands do I use ?
    Last edited by GoodEnough; 26th Apr 2015 at 13:54.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search PM
    ^^ Why, because I pointed out they have a totally shhhhitt installation download page with links to garbage that doesn't work?
    Some people get PAID to do this as QA.
    They should THANK me for pointing out their product installation is total amateur crap in the age of 1-click app downloads.

Someone should make this useless dead end link go away: https://www.videohelp.com/software/AviUtl
    The abortion of the downoad page makes me not even want to LOOK their docs to learn how to use the tool.
    Let's see what else they can royally screw up.
    That's the effect of that shitshow of a product installation page has on a regular "consumer".

Some poster named Baldrick had to provide a WORKING download link. Tells you everything.

If I want to do a Zoom into part of the frame (or pan away from part of the frame) what general commands do I use ?
    Adding insult to injury.

Frankly I doubt anyone involved with AviUtl wants to help you!

I suspect you have to "juggle" this by yourself, with or without swearing!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    At least we agree that the download module needs a complete overhaul.
    The injury needs to be healed.
    Whoever is in charge of the docs needs to be axed. Until then, thank God for Adobe!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Go watch the basic video tutorials in the aviutl thread by maverick tse and racer-x, they cover basically everything you need to know

Make sure you have the advanced editing timeline interface (filter+ => adv. editing ), drag & drop your video onto the timeline

Here are some basic instructions of how to animate or set "midpoints":

To zoom , move the playhead to where you want it to start zooming, push "p" to set a "midpoint" (in conventional editing software it's also called a "keyframe"). If you don't already have the "standard drawing" box popped up, double click the video track. Click the zoom% button and set "rectilinear" movement. This means keyframe interpolation is now activated, and it is set to "linear" or "evenly spaced" . For a zoom in (enlargement), increase the value from 100% to some higher value. Let's say 200%. Move the playhead farther down a few frames, lets say ten, then hit "P" to set a midpoint, and return the value back to 100%. So during those 10 frames, between those marked midpoints", you would scale linearly from 200% to 100%.

That's the basic idea of animating parameters. You would do the same thing for "x" and "y" which are dimensions, or for panning

You have access to multiple layers, so you can be creative on how you want to adjust the transitions, or cuts, between shots

If you have only 1 video, zooming in will be limited (you won't be able to zoom in much , without degrading or softening the picture) - it won't be as if you had a multi camera shoot

The interface is probably easier to use in retail editing software, but aviutl is excellent for freeware

Good luck

PS. It's good that they pick up their own balls - not everyone is happy touching another guy's balls (joke)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That "some poster Baldrick" is the OWNER of this site! Take your head out of your ass for a moment, apologize to him and the creator of the fine app, and try to be polite - that's probably the only way you'll get further assistance.

Notice: nobody else is having trouble with that app, so maybe you have a PEBKAC error.

Scott
    Quote Quote