VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Im wondering if this is possible i messed up one of my captures the other day. The contrast is very low and i want to turn it up a little bit without a reencode if this is possible.On another note this same file also got captured in 1080i can someone recommend me a program to deinterlace it i tried avidemux to do both of these but my results were not that good.Sorry if i posted in the wrong thread not really sure where this goes.
    Last edited by ConanEdogawa; 2nd Jan 2015 at 21:25.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only way to do it without reencoding is to adjust the brightness and contrast in the playback software or television each time you play the file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok cool i just went ahead and threw it into vegas was trying to avoid it but it i can get it exactly how i want.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    I am probably mistaken but I thought that some codecs allow a change in brightness and gamma without re encoding.
    No?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, decoders can adjust brightness and contrast during playback.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    I am probably mistaken but I thought that some codecs allow a change in brightness and gamma without re encoding.
    No?
    Yes , cineform can, through metadata. Things like LUTS, white point, gamma, curves, matrices etc.. can be adjusted. It's really playback metadata ; so non destructive / no re-encoding. But it doesn't apply to the OP, because he didn't start with cineform
    Quote Quote  
  7. But it doesn't apply to the OP, because he didn't start with cineform

Hi!
    What is OP?
    Please help me adjust the brightness, contrast and hue of any video. The program in which I'm opening it doesn't have this option and only this one I can use for what I need to do.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Username2013 View Post
    What is OP?
    Original Poster or ConanEdogawa in this thread.
    Please help me adjust the brightness, contrast and hue of any video.
    Avisynth. Or Virtual Dub if you have it set up correctly. Or any NLE that accepts your video as input. And, as mentioned, adjusting those things will require a full reencode.
    The program in which I'm opening it doesn't have this option and only this one I can use for what I need to do.
    Okay, your program can't adjust the things you want adjusted but you have to use only that program. Then I'd say you're out of luck. Maybe if you mentioned the kind of video someone could offer an alternative.
    Quote Quote  
  9. So the files need to be re-encoded.

I just need these settings to change only during playback.

What if no media player could adjust brightness, contrast and hue? Even when they do this, I suppose these mediaplayers aren't re-encoding the media content while playback.

I know the graphic card is taking care of everything I see on my pc. Can't I adjust its settings to make it "deliver" any video file with ajusted brightness, contrast and hue? If mediaplayer can affect these 3 simple settings than maybe a change of settings in my system can do this also. I just suppose and asking at the same time. I don't know how to find my graphic card. Or maybe there is a codec that can do this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Username2013 View Post
    So the files need to be re-encoded.
    Yes.
    The End.
    Quote Quote  
  11. In theory it's possible to adjust the brightness and contrast of videos encoded with DCT based codecs without reencoding them. In practice, I've only seen programs that do this with DV codecs. EnoSoft's DV tools for example.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    EnoSoft's DV tools for example.
    I went to its page and read that is working only with dv files.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Username2013 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    EnoSoft's DV tools for example.
    I went to its page and read that is working only with dv files.
    That's what I said.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!