VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I've got an interesting problem-- the opposite of what most people do here, and that is, I want to record ONLY commercials.

I'm working on a small side project for which I want to do some analysis of TV commercials. Trying to get data on them is tough, and so I decided to get the data myself by capturing 16 hrs of TV a day for 1 week on 2 channels.

I'm using a Hauppage WinTV-HVR-2250 on a Win7 box, recording OTA video, 16 hrs a day. So now I've got these huge TS files (each one is between 60GB 110 GB), and I would like to cut them so that I only have the commercials in the video.

I've looked at Show Analyzer, and comskip. The problem is that they run extremely slowly on such large files. I've tried using ffmpeg to split the ts files apart, and then running comskip on them, and this seems to be promising, but it takes quite a while to split them, and this is still a very manual process.

Does anyone here have any suggestions on what tools they would use and how they would attack this problem? I'm dealing with 224 hours of HDTV here, so any processing step ads considerable amount of time.

Thanks in advance..
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As a start you could check the VideoReDo forum, or post to it and ask whether what you propose could be streamlined for a reverse Ad-Detective using VideoReDo TVSuite H.264. Or, if you have the storage space and time, you could download the trial version of VideoReDo TVSuite H.264 to first cut those large files down to something more managable. From there run the "Ad-Detective" on each chunk and note the times of each commercial that it detects (on paper) and then do a reverse edit to remove normal programming. I suggest VideoReDo TVSuite H.264 based on my own experience with it as being a solid piece of software for editing H.264 streams.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What video format are they recorded in? AVI? MPG? It would help us to know. From the size of the files, I would say that they are .AVI, so I would use VirtualDub to load and cut the commercials to a separate file.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks.. the files are recorded as MPEG 2 TS files.

I just changed the recorder settings to instead of recording 1 16hr recording per day, to do 8 2-hr recordings per day.. that should get my file splitting problem solved... I will check out the VideoRedo forum.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is there a way to do video cutting/splicing in VideoReDO programmatically?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't yet seen a reliable commercial discriminator. Are you doing this only on one local channel? If so they may just print you a break list. All on their computer.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Ad agencies have services to record it all and verify their ads actually aired.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Ch3rryC0ke View Post
    Is there a way to do video cutting/splicing in VideoReDO programmatically?
    About the only thing I'd suggest involves some manual effort. Record whole blocks of TV, load the resulting program / transport stream into videoredo (VRD being invoked via a com script) mark out the ads in the entire recording then use the COM interface to programatically save the marked out sections to individual files. It makes it a bit easier than saving (and naming) each part by hand.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Shorter record times are the answer. Files of the size you were originally dealing with are just too large to process quickly.

ComSkip should be able to do what you want, it does require a little tuning but works very well. IIRC you can set it to do a reverse edit, to keep the commercials.
    Quote Quote