VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. True, but as a 2.5" drive it makes me wonder if that is where drives are heading.
    These are what I was thinking about until the 10k drive distracted me.
    Over on Newegg they show lots of Laptop drives at 7200rpm. I agree for home or normal business 7200 is fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=laptop+drive+7200rpm

Here is a interesting one:
    "Western Digital Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
    Cache: 16MB
    Average Seek Time: 4ms
    Average Latency: 4.2ms
    Windows Vista: Works with Windows Vista
    Form Factor: 2.5"
    Features: Desktop-class performance for notebook computers Massive capacity Low power consumption Quiet Reliable and rugged Tested for compatibility
    Parts: 3 years limited
    Labor: 3 years limited
    Model #: WD3200BEKT
    Item #: N82E16822136280

Here is a Hitachi a couple of dollars cheaper but look at the seek time.
    HITACHI Travelstar 7K320 HTS723232L9A360 (0A57547) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive - Retail

* Cache: 16MB
    * Average Seek Time: 12ms
    * Average Latency: 4.2ms
    * Form Factor: 2.5"
    * Model #: HTS723232L9A360
    * Item #: N82E16822145228
    * Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I finally did it. I bought a 650 watt Antec powersupply at Bestbuy today. It was on sale for around a 100.00.

It has two pci-e conncectors and 6 sata connectors. I should be set.

Now I'll have more than enough power to buy a new pci-e card should I go that route.

Also - how do you tell if your pci-e slot is a normal or 16x slot?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. 16x is the longggg ones for video cards, like an agp port. normal pci-e are really short compared to the old pci.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ minidv2dvd - got pics? I'm curious to know if my board is robust enough to go full throttle or if I can only do the "normal" pci-e.

@anyone - ok this a question for a first time psu installer:

HOW LONG SHOULD I LEAVE THE POWER UNIT OFF BEFORE UNPLUGGING THE EXISTING POWER SUPPLY?

I have the stock 300 watt powersupply in the computer now. What is the proper removal procedure before installing a new one? What about discharge? Is there a special switch on the unit for draining power away? Does the unit need to be physically unplugged from the power strip for a certain length of time?

Also I have the two pci-e power cords on the unit - whats the best way to keep those out of the way while I don't have a pci-e card that needs them?

Thanks.....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Unplug the PS from the wall, wait a couple of minutes if you want, then you should be good to go.

For extra PS cables, I just stuff them in a unused space in the PC. You can bundle them up with a couple of wire ties if desired. The power connectors are usually shrouded, but you can arrange them so they can't possibly contact anything. Alternately, apply a piece of electrical tape over the ends.

I don't recall which MB this is, but I circled the PCI-E X 16 (PCI-E 2.0) slots in red. You can see the other PCI slots also:

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @redwudz - thanks for the advice. I'm glad I won't need to do anything special to disconnect the existing supply.

I will have to temporarily unseat my exisiting video card to see the slot connector. I have a nvidia 8400 but I don't have the box anymore so I don't remember what type it was. I would like to have a full lenght one but I'm not sure.

ALso I don't think I do becuase I seem to remember my space between the video card slot and the other slots was really tight - but that might be just becuase I only have one pci-e slot. It might stilll be a pci-e 16 and just a single slot not a sli (I know its not a sli, that much is for sure).

I'll try to do this this weekend.

One other question:

Do all pci-e 16x cards have a 1x cousin at lower power? I mean I'd hate to be out of reach wihtout at least a good relative to a high power card.

EDIT - Ok I did install it and it works!!! It's pretty quite. Here are some pics:

Here is my pcie slot:

Is that a pcie 2.0 (ie 16x slot? Also do I have enough space for some of those monster cards out there I don't seem to. Are there any width measurements I could make before looking into new cards?

Here is the nvidia 8400 I am using (by the way a sticker on it says pny so that is the manufacturer I beleve:

Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Even Wikipedia is a bit confused about PCI-E cards. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

But here's one of my MBs with XI, X16 and PCI slots in a row. And just to make it interesting, you should be able to plug a X1 card into a X16 slot most times. The X1 is more commonly used for modems, some NIC Ethernet cards and occasionally a audio card. I don't know where X8 cards went, but they were out there also, with a slot size larger than X1 and smaller than X16. There is also a PCI 2.0 slot that looks the same as the X16 that's on my HTPC motherboard. And there are PCI 3.0 cards in development, not to mention PCI-X cards that are in use.

Hopefully all that above is correct. I usually go the the motherboard specs to see exactly what cards it supports. But if your video card works, it's supported.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @redwudz - thanks.

I'm guessing mine is 2.0/16x then. It looks similar to your highlighted 2.0/16x slot.

I appreciate the pics redwudz.

I should be able to return it for an exchange I imagine if it wasn't the correct board.

I'm interested in the ones with hdmi out with audio on board. Specifically the ati all in wonder. i think I'll start a new thread to try to sort this out.
    Quote Quote  
  9. It looks like you either have to find a card that only takes one slot or lose the PCI card underneath the video card slot. Many of the higher end gaming cards seem to take two slots for cooling.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @tboneit - thanks.

Actually I ended up getting the ati all-in-wonder hd pci-e card for gaming and capping. It is a one slot card thankfully.

I guess in the end if I want to really jump up I'll have to do as you suggest and dump a card.

OR as might be more probable in the next year or so is build a new pc with a more robust motherboard built for gaming. I'd actually seek one out with "breathing" room for monster cards....

But that's a little down the road. Right now I'm happy with the 512mb ati. I can run BIOSHOCK at full quality at 1360x768 with no hesitation. I also have near a 1gig in shared memory (the stuff windows kicks in in that "total memory" avialable screen). By the way running Vista Premium with 2gb regular ram
    Quote Quote