VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Damn,

Sent ccbradley an email, message on ebay, and posted here about doing restorations on a couple 1000s. No response Hope he's doing alright.

Seems nobody is repairing these things these days and documentation on how to even diagnose or tell if they are having issues isn't available online.

Anyone else doing repairs on these anymore?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nicholasserra View Post
    Yes, I'm still rebuilding units. But it's not easy, nor cheap.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Originally Posted by nicholasserra View Post
    Yes, I'm still rebuilding units. But it's not easy, nor cheap.
    Will PM you on dfaq
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hello everybody. As many of you have noticed, I have been unavailable for the past few months due to some health issues but I'm back now. I've been catching up on emails and will respond to everybody who has messaged me on here, dfaq, ebay or email. For anybody interested, I've spent most of last week successfully refurbishing 6 TBC-1000 units. No custom modifications on these ones. Posted them in the dfaq marketplace, just waiting for the post to be approved. Message me if interested.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ccbradley View Post
    Hello everybody. As many of you have noticed, I have been unavailable for the past few months due to some health issues but I'm back now. I've been catching up on emails and will respond to everybody who has messaged me on here, dfaq, ebay or email. For anybody interested, I've spent most of last week successfully refurbishing 6 TBC-1000 units. No custom modifications on these ones. Posted them in the dfaq marketplace, just waiting for the post to be approved. Message me if interested.
    I'm still interested, but still first need to find mine. There are a few places where it may last have been.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    I'm still interested, but still first need to find mine. There are a few places where it may last have been.
    Feel free to message me any time. Most of the units are gone by now (sold on eBay since my post here was never approved for some reason).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Feel free to message me any time. Most of the units are gone by now (sold on eBay since my post here was never approved for some reason).
    Thanks. Once I find it again, this definitely goes onto my 'To Do' List. I think you had said that you could determine quite a bit just from photos of the devices innards ? If so, my only question would be whether it is relatively easy to open the unit and then reseal it, without a major chance of messing something up ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lordsmurf and ccbradley :

IIRC, neither of you ever mentioned how much you're asking for a basic refurbishing of a TBC-1000 (re-capping) ?
    Give or take 50 bucks, that is.
    And also your location, to have an idea of the S&H costs involved.

I own a TBC-1000 myself (these days and after reading this thread, I thank God that I persuaded myself to shell out the 500€ to buy it back in 2005), but it's been mothballed for (at least) the past 10 years.
    I got it out of storage today and will test it in the coming days, fingers crossed..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Snakeforhire View Post
    lordsmurf and ccbradley :

IIRC, neither of you ever mentioned how much you're asking for a basic refurbishing of a TBC-1000 (re-capping) ?
    Give or take 50 bucks, that is.
    And also your location, to have an idea of the S&H costs involved.

I own a TBC-1000 myself (these days and after reading this thread, I thank God that I persuaded myself to shell out the 500€ to buy it back in 2005), but it's been mothballed for (at least) the past 10 years.
    I got it out of storage today and will test it in the coming days, fingers crossed..
    IIRC, ccbradley had previously mentioned that some good photos might allow for his gauging the condition of the TBC. (?) Which might pertain to the repair cost estimate. (?) If so, that presumably means pics of the interior, but I never got any response when asking about that, and specifically re how to safely open the case to take those pix, and then to properly reseal it. Is the case simply held together by screws ? Wouldn't want to risk messing anything up. My own unit is still somewhere in storage, so I lack a reference for that.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IIRC, ccbradley had previously mentioned that some good photos might allow for his gauging the condition of the TBC. (?) Which might pertain to the repair cost estimate. (?) If so, that presumably means pics of the interior, but I never got any response when asking about that, and specifically re how to safely open the case to take those pix, and then to properly reseal it. Is the case simply held together by screws ? Wouldn't want to risk messing anything up. My own unit is still somewhere in storage, so I lack a reference for that.
    Well -since my unit was long out of warranty anyways- I've already opened it to take a peek at the caps inside : they all seem to be fine at a glance. But I still have to hook it up and power it up to be certain.
    Indeed, the cover is only held by the 5 screws apparent from the outside, nothing more in the way.
    I reckon that as long as the unit is safely disconnected from its power supply (and you've left it undisturbed for a few hours, so that any residual current in the capacitors has had a chance to drain) and you don't use any metal instruments to poke inside, I don't see any reason why you would destroy anything by just opening the cover to take a few pix.
    I actually do this (open and take a look at the insides) with a lot of my appliances, even before the warranty is out most of the time : the curiosity of seeing how stuff is made overpowers any qualms at voiding the warranty in most cases...

(This reminds me that I still have to also check the insides of my Amiga 500 that's been mothballed for 20-odd years... I'm far less hopeful in this case. )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Snakeforhire View Post
    Well -since my unit was long out of warranty anyways- I've already opened it to take a peek at the caps inside : they all seem to be fine at a glance. But I still have to hook it up and power it up to be certain.
    Indeed, the cover is only held by the 5 screws apparent from the outside, nothing more in the way.
    I reckon that as long as the unit is safely disconnected from its power supply (and you've left it undisturbed for a few hours, so that any residual current in the capacitors has had a chance to drain) and you don't use any metal instruments to poke inside, I don't see any reason why you would destroy anything by just opening the cover to take a few pix.
    I actually do this (open and take a look at the insides) with a lot of my appliances, even before the warranty is out most of the time : the curiosity of seeing how stuff is made overpowers any qualms at voiding the warranty in most cases...

(This reminds me that I still have to also check the insides of my Amiga 500 that's been mothballed for 20-odd years... I'm far less hopeful in this case. )
    Thanks for that info.

Your next-to-last sentence reminded me of something. My DirecTV DVR Sat boxes each have had a metallic tape seal that is supposed to remain in place, plus they make use of "special", security case screws that most people do not have a driver for. But my electrician thankfully on one occasion left me with a spare driver that covers this exotic screw, and some others. I happen to own rather than lease said boxes, so (you'll pardon the expression) 'screw DTV, and their expired-anyway warranty.' I had also salted away some appropriate spare parts, in the dicey prospect that I might be able to revive a sat box with a replacement PSU. It would probably have to be that component to have failed, because their MB is keyed to the unique account and assigned access card; unsure whether that might also apply to the HDD. Unfortunately, what I've found over several years of being a customer, and a few dead Sat boxes, was that what happens typically is that it is the HDD (taking to the grave a whole lot of recorded material on it) that goes Phhhttttt, often with that fried-electronics smell, or more rarely the MB, but probably not the PSU. And that leaves me SOL.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone know a good repair person or service in the US that can repair a customized TBC-1000? I purchased this from Videohelp member ccbradley, and as you'll see post #64 Bradley was ill for a bit. I still haven't been able to reach him.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If anyone needs any advice or services on these TBC-1000s, find me at Digital FAQ. I also don't mind just answering questions.

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/members/diopter_doctor.html
    Quote Quote