VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Are you better off letting the DVD recorder compress 2 hours to one disk or using 2 disks (or more) and re-encoding on the computer (CCE) to one disk?

I'm sure it all depends on the recorder and the encoder so... let's use the Philips DVDR70 as the recorder and CCE as the computer encoder.

If you don't use these items, chime in anyway.

What are your results?
    Don't give in to DVD2ONE, that leads to the dark side.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are different opinions and I'm not an expert. But here's my understanding and judgement.

As long as the standalone recorder has a good quality encoder, you will do better letting it encode to the desired bitrate than using any single-pass software encoder. Higher-end dual-or-more-pass software encoders may produce higher quality.

There may be times when encoding at a higher bitrate on the standalone recorder and then using a requantizing application to compress multiple VIDEO_TS folders to fit a single disc will produce the best result. For example, my Pioneer DVR uses 360x480 resolution for encodings longer than 2 hours and 20 minutes. I might prefer a requantized 720x480 video instead.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I did TWO 1 hour DVD's(instead of a two hour mode DVD) in my Philips 985 then let DVDShrink fit it to one disc. Looked VERY nice. Was it better?
    Not 100% sure....my TV is not the best.
    I'm still thinking "6 of 1 - half dozen of the other".
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'll just have to run a couple of tests after I buy a DVD recorder. The DVDR70 looks to be the best of the +R catagory. Acording to "lists".

Thanks
    Don't give in to DVD2ONE, that leads to the dark side.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use DVD-Video standard resolutions on a JVC, Pioneer, or LiteOn units, and you should be happy. Rip video to PC and edit as needed. Not the best method, that would be uncompressed AVI, but it works decently.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote