VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see that Apple now supports HEVC on Sierra. I use IMAC with Apple compressor. I am assuming that if I upgrade, Compressor will have H.265 available as a file compression type.
    However, does the BD player being used to play a BD disk that I author with H.265 need to be able to play this file format ? If so, I believe that all the current BD players will not be able to play a BD disk authored with H.265 ???

Also, does anyone know if Adobe Encore has any issues with H.265 ??

Thanks.......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mhnvh View Post
    I see that Apple now supports HEVC on Sierra.
    If you are talking about the June press release on macOS High Sierra (10.13), the upcoming OS version will include support for OS-level HEVC encoding and decoding, including hardware acceleration where available (Skylake, Kaby Lake, Radeon 400).

Originally Posted by mhnvh
    I use IMAC with Apple compressor. I am assuming that if I upgrade, Compressor will have H.265 available as a file compression type.
    I’m sure new presets will be included, taking advantage of HEVC, although I haven’t seen specifics on new version FCP / Compressor.

However, does the BD player being used to play a BD disk that I author with H.265 need to be able to play this file format ? If so, I believe that all the current BD players will not be able to play a BD disk authored with H.265 ???
    The newer UHD Blu-ray players should have some support for HEVC, as HEVC is used for 4K. ‘Regular’ Blu-ray players are only required to deal with H.264 AVC, not H.265 HEVC.

Also, does anyone know if Adobe Encore has any issues with H.265 ?
    Encore has been retired for a long time now. End of life; no bug fixes, no new features coming.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mhnvh View Post
    Authored Blu-ray discs cannot contain HEVC/H.265 video. The Blu-ray spec only allows AVC/H.264 or MPEG-2 video. You might be able to author a HEVC/H.265 "Blu-ray" with non-compliant software, but no hardware Blu-ray player would play it. Looking at manuals for a few recent Blu-ray players, none decode HEVC, even as media files.

UHD Blu-ray authoring software doesn't exist in the consumer realm. However some UHD Blu-ray players can play HEVC files burned as data on BD-R. The LG UP970, Samsung BD-J7500, and Samsung UBD-M8500 play HEVC media files. [Edit]The Sony UBP-X800 plays HEVC media files too.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Sep 2017 at 01:22.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote