VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there

I read a topic on this site regarding something like this, I just have a few questions about my methodology. I want to convert an interlaced DVD to x264 so that VideoRedo can splice it with a BluRay using intelligent recoding (only at the endpoints).

I am using MeGui and this is the avisynth script when opening the BluRay mkv:

LoadPlugin("D:\MeGUI_2624_x86\tools\ffms\ffms2.dll ")
    FFVideoSource("D:\title01.mkv", fpsnum=24000, fpsden=1001, threads=4)
    #deinterlace
    #crop
    #resize
    #denoise

It is 1920x1080 so I have to convert the DVD to that frame rate and resolution. This is the avisynth script when opening the DVD mkv:

FFVideoSource("D:\title02.mkv", fpsnum=30000, fpsden=1001, threads=4)

#deinterlace
    #crop
    #resize
    #denoise

I did one encoding without addressing interlacing. This is the script:

FFVideoSource("D:\title02.mkv", fpsnum=24000, fpsden=1001, threads=4)
    Lanczos4Resize(1440, 1080)
    AddBorders(240, 0, 240, 0, $000000)
    #deinterlace
    #crop
    #resize
    #denoise

I merely changed fpsnum from 30000 to 24000 to match it with the BluRay. Since the DVD is 4:3 I resized it to 1440x1080 then I used the AddBorders function to fill the 1920 width. The result was fine, VideoRedo allowed me to splice it with the BluRay without further encoding except at the join points. I just have a few questions now since I still need to deal with the interlacing.

1. I changed fpsnum from 30000 to 24000 and it gave me the correct framerate. I'm just not sure if it is the correct way to change frame rates since I see avisynth has FPS functions so what did it do?

2. Is that Lanczos method I used the same way our media players like VLC and MPC do resizing when you switch to fullscreen? That is all I want because I don't see the point using fancy upscaling software.

3. As for deinterlacing, I played the video in VLC and switched deinterlacing on and it was set to blend and it looked fine to me so how would I apply that deinterlacing to this video? Also to get the desired output framerate by changing fpsnum from 30000 to 24000, would it apply the deinterlacing after changing framerate or will it deinterlace first and then change the framerate? Please advise, it's a bit tricky and I think it would be better to deinterlace first then adjust the framerate.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What kind of interlacing is it? 2:3 pulldown? 30i?

If you're seeing interlacing in the output, setting framerate via FFVideoSource is DEFINITELY not to way to go about it.

Most of us prefer to use MPEG2Source for DVD... anything else if frowned upon.

blending fields is the WORST deinterlacing method. If you want that...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your response.

It's 30i top field first from a TV broadcast.

The only reason I saw interlacing at the output was because I didn't deinterlace. I did that encode to see the effect of setting the framerate via FFVideoSource. How should I set the frame rate?

How do I use MPEG2Source in MeGUI? When I open mkv, it uses FFVideoSource when creating script.

What would you recommend I use to deinterlace and get the correct framerate?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just to echo what ndjamena said:

1. Wrong thing to do. If it's from film you IVTC to get it back to 23.976fps. Can't you tell that just speeding it up gives you unnaturally fast playback speed and throws the audio out of synch?

2. No, Lanczos isn't the best AviSynth way to upscale; nnedi3_rpow2 is, maybe something like:

nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2,cshift="lanczo4sresize",fwi dth=1440,fheight=1080)###or whatever resizer you like

3. I agree with ndjamena 100%. As for what can and should be done, please provide a short 10 second sample from the source. And not something repackaged as MKV. Use DGIndex to cut a small piece, one with steady motion. Open a VOB, use the [ and ] buttons to isolate a short section, and then File->Save Project and Demux Video. Make the resulting M2V file available. You can upload it here.

When I open mkv, it uses FFVideoSource when creating script.
    Don't open the MKV. Open the IFO or the VOB or whatever MeGUI accepts as input.
    Last edited by manono; 27th Dec 2016 at 13:22.
    Quote Quote  
  5. 1. I thought changing fpsnum from 30000 to 24000 would reduce the framerate but keep the length of the video so no audio issues?

2. Perhaps you could give recommendation of which resizer to use for both clips since they are from 2 different sources.

3. Okay I've uploaded the 2 M2V

The first one is from a TV capture which has interlacing:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1_Caps-DvTvLTU1MVh1cGNCT2c

The second is from the NTSC DVD which also needs to be set to 23.976fps:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1_Caps-DvTvbldnTy0xQjBaS2s

Could you please advise which resizers and fps functions you would use for both clips and which deinterlacer you'd use for the first clip.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Those aren't actual 29.976i. If you'd told us it was a movie we could would have guessed what you needed to do without needing a sample.

What you have is simple hard 2:3 pulldown. All you need to do is run it through TFM/TDecimate and you'll get proper 23.97fps progressive video from it with no need for horrible blending.

Code:
    MPEG2Source("VTS_01_3.demuxed.d2v")
    TFM
    TDecimate
    NNEDI3_Resize16(1440,1080,10,0,-8,-2)  #or whatever resizer
    AddBorders(240,0,240,0)
    And it should be perfect.
    Last edited by ndjamena; 27th Dec 2016 at 11:33.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I was rushing.

Denoising should be done before resizing...

What you use depends on how much effort you want to put into it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    Code:
    MPEG2Source("VTS_01_3.demuxed.d2v")
    TFM
    TDecimate
    NNEDI3_Resize16(1440,1080,10,0,-8,-2)  #or whatever resizer
    AddBorders(240,0,240,0)
    So this will be good for both clips?

What noise filter would you recommend? Sorry I'm not too familiar with noise reduction.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by johnny27depp; 30th Dec 2016 at 04:05.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi there

I used:

TFM
    TDecimate

For the first clip from the TV capture it recovered the 23.97fps progressive video. However for the NTSC DVD (second link) the output fps was something weird like 19fps.

What could be the problem?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I've just switched to using DGDecodeIM and haven't figured out all the details yet.

The DGI file (equivalent to d2v) says the second clip is 100% film, which means it's ENCODED at 23.976 already but there are pulldown flags that tell the decoder to play it at a 2:3 cadence.

Apparently you've disabled "Honour Pulldown" so that clip is the right frame-rate straight from the decoder.

For future reference, open the d2v file in a text editor, if at the bottom it says 100% film then you can skip the "~30i" NTSC frame rate step.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Okay I just encoded it with no frame manipulation and it came out at 23.976fps so that is normal and correct?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    skip the "~30i" NTSC frame rate step.
    How do I skip that step?

I would like to output an uncompressed AVI from the AviSynth script for the second clip. Is there a way to do it using MeGUI or is there a better program?

Also when outputting an uncompressed AVI what would I have to add to the script to remove the 2:3 pulldown flag?

Thanks a lot
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by johnny27depp View Post
    How do I skip that step?
    I think he means that in DGIndex you set the field operation as Forced Film and you'll get a 23.976fps D2V file to use in your AviSynth script. Make sure the whole thing is film, like the sample.
    I would like to output an uncompressed AVI from the AviSynth script for the second clip.
    I think you mean to say 'lossless".
    Is there a way to do it using MeGUI or is there a better program?
    Dunno. Don't use it. Open your script in VDub, choose a lossless codec (UT Video Codec, Lagarith, whatever), configure it and 'Save As AVI'.
    Also when outputting an uncompressed AVI what would I have to add to the script to remove the 2:3 pulldown flag?
    If you've done it right, after opening the script in VDub go File->File Information to check the framerate is 23.976. If so, the pulldown flags have been removed.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks a lot for the closure!
    Quote Quote