VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some files that are AVI and some FLV. In order to upload them it's best I convert them all to be AVI. I have separated the FLV files so now I have an H264 file and an AAC file. How do I now combine them into AVI?

I originally tried AVC2AVI, but it doesn't have sound. Well it'll play sound if my AVi and my AAC file are in the same directory, but that's not gonna work for uploading elsewhere. I need them to be combined.

I have AVI-Mux GUI and loaded in an AVI and an AAC file and hit start. Even though I have AVI selected for output, it still is asking me to give a file name ending in MKV. Anyway, I let it go and it's progress just sits there. I'm not sure if it is even doing anything.

I don't want to re-encode the files.. just combine them.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    AVC video + AAC audio is not intended anymore to be multiplexed into the rather obsolete AVI container, because AVI can't handle all the special attributes of them both. You may be able to create an AVI containing them (e.g. using ffmpeg to remultiplex the FLV to AVI, not the demultiplexed elementary streams); but expect playback issues.

The optimal container for AVC+AAC content would be MP4. But MP4 is very restricted and won't be able to contain many other formats, only few specified by MPEG standards.

If you are looking for a container which can take possibly all existing video and audio formats, use Matroska (MKV).

Originally Posted by yuppicide0138 View Post
    In order to upload them it's best I convert them all to be AVI.
    What does that mean? I don't understand the purpose. Upload to ... where? If you mean YouTube: Don't care about the container format, YouTube will recode every upload, they use a kind of ffmpeg implementation to do so.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Anyway thanks for the help. It's all so confusing when all these years I've been thinking of them as formats, and then lately these past few years people say container. I ended up putting them all into MKV files.

I share stuff and let's say I have 5 videos that belong together.. let's say 3 are avi and 2 were flv.. they require me to upload two separate things to download. Whereas if I package them all as one file type, mkv in this example, I can upload them as one upload.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    There are many different kinds of "formats": container formats / video formats / audio formats ... MKV, FLV and AVI are container formats. They may contain different content. Some containers restrict the allowed content formats. MKV is a container format which tries to support many content formats.

Please note: Sharing copyrighted material is often illegal. Let's assume it is private material from different people you personally know... just to protect this forum.
    Quote Quote