VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. For those people who are not currently living in Asia and can’t read Chinese, EVD players and disks have been released in China. My cousin has purchased one already. Right now they are being sold in bundles and come with 4 EVD Movies which are HDTV resolution. While there are about 1400 titles on EVD, all of them are Chinese movies so unless you understand Chinese, everyone has to wait for their own countries HD-DVD format.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But which chinese movies? Dang, where's my Hong Kong links????
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  3. The only movie worth noting now on EVD is HERO (Jet Li, Donnie Yen etc) and its HDTV resolution. It's also the long awaited EXTENDED version.
    Quote Quote  
  4. This high res dvd technology is fine, but if you cannot tell the difference between 80% and 100% compression of current DVDs when ripping whats the point in the increased resolution if you cannot see the difference, surely technology has reached the point where volume content has exceeded visual resolution (get my drift?).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not positive, but I think that if you have an HD-TV, then you can see a difference.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by foulplay
    This high res dvd technology is fine, but if you cannot tell the difference between 80% and 100% compression of current DVDs when ripping whats the point in the increased resolution if you cannot see the difference, surely technology has reached the point where volume content has exceeded visual resolution (get my drift?).
    That's totally different. You reach the point of diminishing returns with bitrate in every format. That's the whole point, you have to have enough bits to represent whatever resolution you choose, and there is only so much room on the medium. Its resolution that is always going be the cap on quality.

We've got a long long way to go before we ever reach the point of diminishing returns with resolution. As long as you keep increasing resolution, either by using larger mediums or finding a way to achieve more efficient compression, there's always room for noticable quality improvement. Believe me the quality difference between Hi-Def material and current DVDs is like night and day, but of course you have to have an HDTV to take advantage of it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by axolotls
    The only movie worth noting now on EVD is HERO (Jet Li, Donnie Yen etc) and its HDTV resolution. It's also the long awaited EXTENDED version.
    Must have. Must have. Where Can I Buy?
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    go to Best Buy and look at their lcd/plasma hdtv's that are hooked up. if you can't tell a difference between that and just a standard TV with component inputs, I know the name of a great eye doctore

there is a difference, you just have to witness it to believe it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Conquest10
    The only movie worth noting now on EVD is HERO (Jet Li, Donnie Yen etc) and its HDTV resolution. It's also the long awaited EXTENDED version.
    Must have. Must have. Where Can I Buy?
    You can buy them from China. They are US$250 and come with 5 EVD movies (Hero Extended Version being one of them).

It's reported that they will sell the retail version of Hero Extended in a few months (as the only EVD release thus far is bundled with the Shinco EVD Player only).

What isn't know is whether it will be (finally) released on DVD or just an EVD version.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Im sure i speak for others when i ask: What is EVD and is it better then DVD? (if not..whats the point)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do a web search. Its the new video format in China. Yes it is much better than DVD because it supports High definition video.
    Quote Quote  
  12. DUH, what is an EVD player?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Isnt DVD good enough? Jeez..Its like some people, just cant be happy. Always gotta have the latest and greatest. If I went and spent 300 bucks on an EVD player, the technology would be current for about 5 mins, then id have to run back to the store and get Yet the latest and greatest format, JUST TO HAVE IT! *Laughs uncontrollably*

(walks into frys electronics)
    (look at the tv)
    "Whats this format?"
    "Oh, its called MVR++ (or some shit), the player is 3,560.00$, comes with two movies..The lion king and Casablanca"
    "WOW, gotta have it! I dont care what it is, as long as its better then what everyone has!"
    "Dont you want to hear what makes it better then everything else out there?"
    "Nope, I just need it"
    "Great, will that be visa or mastercard?"
    "I dont care, take it all..all my money, I have too much of it. Please"

(next week I go back)
    "Hey, its that guy I sold the MVR++ player too. Hows it working for you?"
    "Pretty good, why do you ask?"
    "Well..This was just released by the japanese government, its called the MVRextra++, features an extra TWO channels of audio!!!"
    "OH DEAR GOD, THATS AMAZING!!!!" *head explodes like that guy on scanners* "How much?"
    "8 thousand, comes with 3 movies this time, hope you like Beetlejuice!"
    *picks up the pieces to my head* "Absolutely, My wallets in the car!"

There was even a computer commercial a few years back where this one guy says "I need a computer, I dont care what it is as long as its better then what everyone else has" lol..too silly.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Moloko_Plus
    Isnt DVD good enough? Jeez..Its like some people, just cant be happy. Always gotta have the latest and greatest. If I went and spent 300 bucks on an EVD player, the technology would be current for about 5 mins, then id have to run back to the store and get Yet the latest and greatest format, JUST TO HAVE IT! *Laughs uncontrollably*
    ????

Before you bash something, please learn about it first. Your last post was really rather silly.

EVD is the Chinese version of the replacement for DVD. And yes, DVD isn't "good enough" in a sense if you own a HDTV as the HDTV supports a higher resolution than DVD.

It isn't particularly strange that someone would invent and develop an optical disc format targeted for HDTV is it?

EVD will probably be limited to the Asian market as it is doubtful that Hollywood will play ball with EVD backers. I am somewhat impressed that they were able to release the format complete with players (of reasonable cost) so quickly.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vitualis
    Originally Posted by Moloko_Plus
    Isnt DVD good enough? Jeez..Its like some people, just cant be happy. Always gotta have the latest and greatest. If I went and spent 300 bucks on an EVD player, the technology would be current for about 5 mins, then id have to run back to the store and get Yet the latest and greatest format, JUST TO HAVE IT! *Laughs uncontrollably*
    ????

Before you bash something, please learn about it first. Your last post was really rather silly.

Regards.
    Actually, his last post was rather funny.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's reported that they will sell the retail version of Hero Extended in a few months (as the only EVD release thus far is bundled with the Shinco EVD Player only).

What isn't know is whether it will be (finally) released on DVD or just an EVD version.
    I've been waiting for the extended dvd version since around July of last year (or earlier). I hate Miramax for making them cut out those scenes in the first place.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I think that this could be some good news for the world outside China.

If they can sell a 300.00 High Def Disc Player (I payed that for my 1st player) and use a MPEG4 codec flavor to get the High Def results, then it should not be too hard to get a HD-DVD player to the rest of the world.

It seems like h.264 will be the codec of our hd-dvd, but we won't know till march. The only down side is that its a bitch to encode. (ie CPU killer)

The trick to make HD-DVD get off the ground will be price and number of first movies in the new format. If it were me, I would sell the big movies in a two disc set. One disc in HD-DVD and one standard. And if the hype is ture, Pressing an AOD (HD-DVD media) disc can be used with the same gear factories have today. Which is why it was chosen over Blu-Ray.
    For the love of God, use hub/core labels on your Recordable Discs!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by vitualis
    Originally Posted by Moloko_Plus
    ????

EVD is the Chinese version of the replacement for DVD. And yes, DVD isn't "good enough" in a sense if you own a HDTV as the HDTV supports a higher resolution than DVD.

It isn't particularly strange that someone would invent and develop an optical disc format targeted for HDTV is it?

EVD will probably be limited to the Asian market as it is doubtful that Hollywood will play ball with EVD backers. I am somewhat impressed that they were able to release the format complete with players (of reasonable cost) so quickly.

Regards.
    It was supposed to be silly, and i wasnt bashing anything, Just saying that I think DVD is the most ill need for the next 10 years or so.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    thats a great news!
    China as an official foe to all the hollywood-related and owned (basically) studios with their DVD format has finally become their worthy opponent
    Nothing but good stuff for consumers will come out of this!
    China never agreed to DVD region coding, content scrambling, and didnt want to pay any fees to the DVD Consortium either. Thats why till today VCD still oversells DVDs there (SVCD never really 'clicked' there, even being it China's own format as well).
    Having its own DVD-alike (and better) format backed by about 1/4 of world's population market they can and will dictate hollywood their own terms from now on.
    Lets just hope that EVD will become very succesfull in very short time there!

Quote Quote  
  20. This EVD format could be very interesting as most cheap European DVD players are made in China. So it is possible that the EVD format will hit Europe in a big way for next Christmas. Plus the fact that the American's hate it is just an added bonus!!
    Quote Quote  
  21. However, it isn't the format that is important... it is the content.

I see the possibility of the major studios releasing Western movies in the EVD format as zip. I for one will never buy an EVD only player if I can only watch Asian content on it.

Unless HD-DVD and Blue-Ray has been a hoax all along and they won't come out in a viable format for the next 3 years, EVD will not penetrate the Western market.

Now, if a HD-DVD player also played EVD as well...

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by vitualis
    I for one will never buy an EVD only player if I can only watch Asian content on it.
    Very few would...
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have to have some content that's in higher res than 720x480 (or 576). Since 99% of ya'll don't, you won't notice a difference. Unless you have an HDTV cpature card, or a CGI system to generate graphics, an EVD and a big Plasma TV are totally worthless.

However, having seen a true HDTV demo at some trade shows, it is a starttling difference. Side-by-side comparison is just amazing. 1024x768 progressive encode is something worth having!!!(there is a LOTR trailer in this format you can download and see).

It's Funny as crapola this whole thread. I remember the exact same thing about DVD versus VCD. VCD was 'as good as VHS' and that was good enough! Ack, people change. In a few years will it be 'Convert HD to DVD' guides? Or EVD to DVDR9 guides???
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by adam
    Originally Posted by foulplay
    This high res dvd technology is fine, but if you cannot tell the difference between 80% and 100% compression of current DVDs when ripping whats the point in the increased resolution if you cannot see the difference, surely technology has reached the point where volume content has exceeded visual resolution (get my drift?).
    That's totally different. You reach the point of diminishing returns with bitrate in every format. That's the whole point, you have to have enough bits to represent whatever resolution you choose, and there is only so much room on the medium. Its resolution that is always going be the cap on quality.

We've got a long long way to go before we ever reach the point of diminishing returns with resolution. As long as you keep increasing resolution, either by using larger mediums or finding a way to achieve more efficient compression, there's always room for noticable quality improvement. Believe me the quality difference between Hi-Def material and current DVDs is like night and day, but of course you have to have an HDTV to take advantage of it.
    Good point, I didn't give any consideration to larger screens for example, but ask my wife what she thinks and she'll say ' as long as i can see and hear the picture, widescreen or not I'm not bothered!'

In the old days of television, there was always greater transmission quality and resolution that could possibly be viewed, that still applies today.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gazorgan
    It's Funny as crapola this whole thread. I remember the exact same thing about DVD versus VCD. VCD was 'as good as VHS' and that was good enough! Ack, people change. In a few years will it be 'Convert HD to DVD' guides? Or EVD to DVDR9 guides???

Agreed
    Quote Quote