VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Which of these two camera would be best to shoot an independent movie on that will go to festivals and be distributed, and may be blown up for theater viewings?

I've read plusses and minuses about both cameras and are looking for good hands on experience suggestions entailing picture quality and resolution. All the pages I've found so far are very general about their details and dance around key points about each camera.

Or if anyone thinks that they know of a camera better suited for my needs, then please inform me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am currently using the XL1s for my projects. It has worked well for television commercials and whatnot. A few of the guys I work with have made a couple of indie films with the original XL1, with excellent results. But from what I have heard, the Panasonic is just as good. I think either way you will have a winner.

One sidepoint - The American "Adult Entertainement" Industry seems to prefer the XL1s for all of it's top work it seems*

*Source: An Unusually Vivid Dream
    "I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me."
    -Dave Barry
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you really intend to blow it up to FILM then go with PAL format since that seems to convert to NTSC FILM rate rather well since PAL is 25fps and NTSC FILM is 24fps but NTSC VIDEO is 30fps and then you got problems putting that on film.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    If you really intend to blow it up to FILM then go with PAL format since that seems to convert to NTSC FILM rate rather well since PAL is 25fps and NTSC FILM is 24fps but NTSC VIDEO is 30fps and then you got problems putting that on film.

Well if I go Panasonic then it doesn't matter because it shoots 24 fps
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tgpo

Well if I go Panasonic then it doesn't matter because it shoots 24 fps
    I knew the XL-1 doesn't do 24p but if the PANASONIC can do 24p and you can afford it then HELL yeah that kicks some ass.

I know JVC has some DV cams that can do 480p as well as (I think) 720p though how you process that on a computer I have no idea.

Also I didn't realize it was YOU at first. You keep changing your damn Avatar too often. I know most people on here more by the Avatar than by name!

Anyways this smacks of a good poll don't you think?

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also I didn't realize it was YOU at first. You keep changing your damn Avatar too often. I know most people on here more by the Avatar than by name!
    :P

I like to keep my avatars fresh

I think we may go with the JVC so we can shoot HD. I think the extra resolution will help us if we decide to blow it up. We'll just have to pay extra for a 3:2 pulldown on the source, but I think in the long run we'll be okay.
    Quote Quote