VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!
    First post - first question: I want to record my daughter playing piano and the sound quality could be better. So I wanted to connect my microphone to the Canon HF100 camcorder in order to improve that. However, the camcorder doesnt record any sounds then. I have tried two external microphones so far:
    Sennheiser e935
    Rode NT1-A
    They are usually made to record singing and they are then connected to a mixer.
    I bought myself an XLR female to mini-cinch cable to connect the microphone to the camcorder.

Where is my error? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alex
    Quote Quote  
  2. Some mics need phantom power. You might check on that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes i checked that. The Rode could need that. However the Sennheiser should work without phantom power...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    johnmeyer is right.

the hf100 can only use self powered external mics or the canon shoe attachment mic. xlr type mics aren't going to work.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    does the sennheiser have it's own battery? i don't think so, but i've been wrong before.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The Rode does need phantom power. Be mindful of what kind of connection is expected - balanced/unbalanced, mono/stereo, input/output/io, as the pinouts on cams use them in a variety of ways. That's why there is diff between ts/trs/trrs.
    Note: nature of phantom power REQUIRES balanced input. So if you are adapting bal->unbal it won't work for true condensers.

Suggestion: optimal postioning for cam is often NOT optimal positioning for mic. Keep them separate. In fact, just do double system (use a zoom h2/h4n or something) and marry them in post.

Scott
    Quote Quote