VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I notice that I promised to report back in 2015 my results of using the Verbatim DVD+RW that I started using back in 2012. I'm two years late but...

Glad to say that the 2012 Verbatim DVD+RWs are still in use and I've not had any of the issues that I had previously experienced (within 2-3 years) of the Maxell/TDK that I mentioned earlier. I have heard that current Verbatims (of all varieties) are not the same as they were a few years ago, but for the record, my DVD+RW are at 5 years and no problems at all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a bit late to the "party" but I wanted to chime in with my support for Verbatim RW, either + or - . I have had to retire most of my discs after 2 years' service (not daily burning). They have always played beautifully on my OPPO 971 standalone dvd player. I have been seeing a lot of "freezing" parts of videos (multiple) on just-burned +RW Verbatims and the frozen parts are not on the original recordings. Even though I am in the Seattle area I have not seen any ReWriteable Verbs in local B&M stores. I took a gamble on a 15 disc spindle of Maxell +RW from Fred Meyer. They are made by Ridata (I can run DVD Identifier if you want the p/n). So far, I'm not super impressed with the Maxell/Ridata quality. Plenty of freezing on a 2 week old disc that has been re-written 3-4 times, at most.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I feel like I'm in a time capsule.
    These days I dusted a bunch of DVD backups from around 2002 to 2010 to find all of them unreadable.
    Thank God, I also had this backups in HDDs which I have passed from computer to computer through all those years.
    The falling media is from assorted brands and types, having all the same common characteristic: all are re-writable.

Sony CD-RW
    Sony DVD+RW
    Pengo CD-RW
    Fujifilm DVD+RW

However these does work:
    • Any original media, even the very first Visual Studio installer from 2002, or a Windows 95 installer on CD-R from, well, 1996 (25 year old!) can also be read.
    • Verbatim DVD+R
    • Verbatim CD+R
    • Pengo CD+R
    • TDK DVD+R

My conclusion is: rewritable media, be DVD or CD won't last.
    Last edited by cesar1020; 13th Apr 2021 at 02:00.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Good example of an Old Thread that still has relevance -- at least for some of us. If, like myself, you happen to still be a regular user of the Pioneer DVDRs, the RW disc option (particularly for xfer to computer / external HDD) is going to be a tool you want to retain. My Go To choice for this had long been either the Verb or TDK (4X) -RW, now exceedingly difficult to obtain, or maybe even by now impossible. AFAIK, they were long proven to be the best -- and certainly the most compatible for the Pioneer recorders, which either need or do a lot better with the -RW than the +RW. (Can't recall whether the + is useable there at all. Maybe not.) I think the Pioneers, or at least circa the 520 series, could also use DVD-RAM discs, but good luck finding any of those in recent years ! A couple years ago, I bought a box of 10 TDK -RW (in individual jewel boxes) from somewhere in Europe, and you don't even want to know what they were charging for it . . . .

Ridata has pretty much always been CRAP, for most anything they make. Lots of testimonials on that here.

I always thought that the rewriteable tech was pretty sketchy -- even the "good" ones -- and never counted on the discs to last a long time. (Might be nice to get some reminder on that score from orsetto and lordsmurf.) Then again, it could be an iffy proposition to count on long term storage from your -R or +R discs either, from the original TY on down the quality scale. Those of us who have accumulated a big library of recorded material are going to find out, sooner or later. I have come across the occasional disc made quite a few years ago that has completely failed to be readable, like the gold-colored Plextor discs. (Long vanished into optical disc history, but remember those, whoever made them ?) If whatever was on them had been important enough, I might have given Isobuster a go at them, just for grins.

Any Blu-Ray media, or M-Disc "archival" media -- will those survive a long time, either ? Hardware obsolescence for reading them is another concern. For the more important stuff, what I've been trying to do is more in the realm of redundancy, primarily with two instances of an item, spread across two different HDDs. The optical storage media can just add another link in that redundancy chain.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 13th Apr 2021 at 12:49.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Nine years after my post #6 that Verbatim DVD+RW disc still verifies perfectly. Nero Discspeed 5's transfer rate test still shows a nice smooth graph. A Verbatim DVD+R disc with the same content is also fine. Of course, that's only one disc (of each type).
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A lot of people burn a disc and thinks it's good cause the burning program says burned successful but never verified the burn so years later they try their disc and blame the disc going bad over the years,with rw discs they are a lot more prone to bad burns,any disc i burned and verified are still good after 20 years.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I picked up a 10 Pack of Maxell +RW (Ritek 004-048) discs from a local store recently. They burn OK but refuse to rewrite more than 4 or 5 times. I am unable to
    format the discs. The firmware in my Optiarc (Sony AD-7260S) is current and I am using Freemake. I am burning at 4x speed.

I have a couple Verbatim -RW (Mitsubishi MKM 01RW6X1) discs that still faithfully rewrite.

Are Ritek discs really this bad? I have had this problem with EVERY disc!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by elling View Post
    I picked up a 10 Pack of Maxell +RW (Ritek 004-048) discs from a local store recently. They burn OK but refuse to rewrite more than 4 or 5 times. I am unable to
    format the discs. The firmware in my Optiarc (Sony AD-7260S) is current and I am using Freemake. I am burning at 4x speed.

I have a couple Verbatim -RW (Mitsubishi MKM 01RW6X1) discs that still faithfully rewrite.

Are Ritek discs really this bad? I have had this problem with EVERY disc!
    Ritek has had a terrible reputation since forever.
    I tip my hat to the diligence of johns0, but I'm thinking he'd be in the .01 % who took the trouble to certify the burn afterward. I've always left the "Verify" box in ImgBurn checked as my default, but I'm thinking that probably isn't sufficient ? ImgBurn has a data graph feature for the burn results, which I'm sure has been discussed here before. (Takes some guidance or experience on how to properly evaluate the results ?) We tend to just be in a hurry though. I think I may have checked that feature twice, over the course of umpteen years.

I regularly rely upon my good -RW discs, to ferry material from my DVDRs to computer or external storage, so I'm dreading the day when I have to try to replace them.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found a 30 pack of Verb -RW online for under $20 and free shipping. Is there a big difference with + and - RW discs? I read something about + discs wearing or degrading at the outer edge.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found a 30 pack of Verb -RW online for under $20 and free shipping. Is there a big difference with + and - RW discs? I read something about + discs wearing or degrading at the outer edge.
    I have never heard of any differences in longevity between DVD-RW and DVD+RW.

The only differences between the two formats that I know of apply to using them with DVD recorders. Some brands of DVD recorders (mostly their early models) were incompatible with DVD+RW and others were incompatible with DVD-RW. The other difference is that DVD-RW needs to be finalized to be readable with a DVD player or a DVD recorder other than the one that recorded the DVD but DVD+RW does not need to be finalized.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for that info. I have a Pioneer DVR-650 that refuses to burn to any rewritable disc, + or —. Oh well, it is still a great performer for my needs. I will get a 100 pack spindle of single use discs, either type, and back up to an external HDD some day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm hoping these have not been taken over for manufacturing by Ritek. ImgBurn -- and maybe some other programs -- can identify just what they really are. Can you provide the ordering link ? The last TDK 4x -RW box I bought (a few years back) came from somewhere like Germany, or possibly the U.K., at an exorbitant cost. But that was all I could find of those. They were definitely the real McCoy. Don't know if they are still available.

I have a Pioneer DVR-650 that refuses to burn to any rewritable disc, + or —.
    I've got a couple Pio DVDR models. They've liked the "good stuff" in -RW: Verb or TDK, at least when the discs were still really that. I don't think they accepted the +RW, but I don't recall now for certain.
    Quote Quote