VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've tried CCE, but the version 2.5 crashes, and the 2.66 doesn't install because it needs SSE or 3DNow!.
    With TMPEG i havn't problems and the results seem to be very good (i havn't tried CCE, so i can't compare), but it's veeery slow. About 40/50 hours to create a 2 hours SVCD.
    Should i try to make CCE working or continue with TMPEG ? Thanks, bye!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It appears you have a P3 class machine. That accounts for the long times to compress, however Tmpgenc, while not a fast encoder, can be faster.

First of all, I don't know if you want to create MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 video. I assume you want MPEG-1 to burn on CD. First of all, modify Settings --> Video and select in Motion search precision either "Motion Estimate Search" or "Lowest Quality". The first is fast and the second is very fast. Quality doesn't degrate as much as one may think, but encoding time is slashed by an order of magnitude compared to "Highest Quality".

In Quanticize Matrix, check "No Motion Search for still picture by half pixel". This will speed things up (and for MPEG-1 improves quality a little). Additionally, uncheck "Soften Block Noise". This will (perhaps) make artifacts a little more visible, but also improves performance.

A final advise. Don't use the Tmpgenc filters. They are very slow. Anything you want to do with them can be done with VirtualDUB and much faster.

As for CCE, I have been having all sorts of problems with it. Version 2.6 requires a P4. Version 2.5 should work but if it doesn't, perhaps you must forget about it.

Another approach could be using the NewConcept encoder www.newconcept.com There is a demo version and it is fully functional except for a logo that is embedded on the top-left corner. This one is much faster than Tmpgenc. Quality is good but tuning it is sometimes tricky. (You can easily configure it to inflate an AVI).

Hope I've give you enough direction to experiment.
    The more I learn, the more I come to realize how little it is I know.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I want to create MPEG-2 video. I selected "Normal" in Motion Search Precision and "2 pass VBR" in Rate Control Mode. It has worked for 11 hours and remain still 45 hours...
    Any idea ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. "Another approach could be using the NewConcept encoder [url]www.newconcept.com"

I think you mean MainConcept at www.mainconcept.com.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by digitalmaster
    "Another approach could be using the NewConcept encoder [url]www.newconcept.com"

I think you mean MainConcept at www.mainconcept.com.
    Obviously Late night blunders
    The more I learn, the more I come to realize how little it is I know.
    Quote Quote