VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello, I have hard time deciding what BD playing software to get for my new laptop. I read good things here about PowerDV Ultra. And I am also wondering about the latest NeroSuite which apparently supports blu-ray playback through a plug-in. Anyone using that?
    Any recommendations and feedback is welcome. A am mostly interested in usability and no-nonsense interface.
    Thanx.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3. I don't believe PowerDVD will play back BD files from the hard drive, just discs. TMT3 will play BD files from the hard drive. WinDVD 2010 Pro is another BD player. I don't know about Nero. Most of the software players cost about $100US, mostly because of licensing. If you have a decryption program installed like AnyDVD HD you can also play the .m2ts files directly from the BD with cheaper programs like the freeware VLC, but your laptop needs to be up to the task.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have AnyDVD installed or possibly DVDDycrytor's Passkey (don't really know because I haven't tried it). You should be able to play BD discs with Media Player Classic Home Cinema or Splashlite, both free. If not, You can play AVCHD backups with the decryption removed.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yeah, you can use AnyDVDHD or DVDFabPasskey running in the background and play from disc with MPCHC, Splash, or whatever you like, assuming your computer is up to the job.

Both the above decrypters *should* work with PowerDVD, Both have a setting for a PowerDVD workaround for playing from hard drive. PowerDVD is set up to deny playback from a virtual drive, maybe a rip to folder as well, I don't remember. Yes, absurd, isn't it?

I have a recent version of PowerDVD, but I uninstalled it and can't recommend it. It's a buggy, bloated mess. OTOH, ArcSoft's TMT is first-class if you don't mind paying for a decent player. I use the Digital Theater player in ArcSoft's TME, which is essentially the same player as TMT3.

Good luck.

[EDIT] I just read the review linked in Zachar's post. The guy doesn't know what he's talking about. PowerDVD is undoubtedly the best choice? Mind you, some members here have it and like it okay, most of them I suspect having acquired it free bundled with a BD reader/burner. But if it's a matter of BUYING it, no, get TMT3 instead.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 17th Oct 2010 at 22:45.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote