VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been getting a TON of burn errors on these Memorex 4X DVD-R's. Out of the pack of 25 that I bought (spindle) nearly 1/2 have turned into coasters. And they're all happening at what (visually) appears to be the same part of the disk, no matter what I'm writing. It's happening when I burn oat 1x, 2x and 4x.

Is there anything I can do to fix this or improve my success rate? These are some damn expensive coasters!

--Mike
    Quote Quote  
  2. Most people forget to mention, what and why
    they are doing something, memorex media
    never was very good, try rw's....
    Quote Quote  
  3. Try some other brand media or buy a single DVD-RW disc until you figure out the problem. Myself I won't be buying any more Memorex media after the 15 I did buy were defective.

What are you using to burn, Nero, recordNow or what?
    Quote Quote  
  4. i myself have great success with memorex media. and i have yet to have 1 error after 100s of burns. but i have been researching the subject lately and it seems as though many people do have trouble with this media and most of those people are using a sony drive! most people that have trouble also do when trying to burn over 1x i only burn at 1x and on a pioneer 104 and ive had not one error! but the test is to try yhose same files on a different media and if it works flawlessly use that media and logon here and dis my favorite media as many people do
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you will go to www.meritline.com and check out the media they have a page that cautions Sony DRU 500 users about which media will not not work. There are more than just Memorex that can give you problems and it can get expensive just on a trial and error method. They also tell you the media that will work with your burner
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try some 4X +R discs . I have some and they burn fine in my DRU-500AX . Mine are also Memorex brand but they are made by Ricoh just like TDK and Verbatim 4X +R . +R tend to be made to a better overall standard than -R .
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, well, I was using Nero to do my burns, but I've also had the same issue (again in the same spot on the Disc) with DVDXCopy Express.

I switched over to a Verbatim 4x +R and it worked, but since I only had 1 last thing to burn tonight that's not much of a track record. The verbatims also cost me more per disc. Man ,I'm looking forward to the time when the quality/reliability and the price of these discs gets down to the CDR levels... $50 for 25 with a 50% burn error rate is NOT cool.

I just want to find some media that aren't rediculously expensive and yet are reliable for this drive. I'll have to check out the list on that page you guys mentioned. Thanks.

At least my sony DVD player will read any media format...

--Mike
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by 2002CBR600F4i
    Ok, well, I was using Nero to do my burns, but I've also had the same issue (again in the same spot on the Disc) with DVDXCopy Express.

I switched over to a Verbatim 4x +R and it worked, but since I only had 1 last thing to burn tonight that's not much of a track record. The verbatims also cost me more per disc. Man ,I'm looking forward to the time when the quality/reliability and the price of these discs gets down to the CDR levels... $50 for 25 with a 50% burn error rate is NOT cool.

I just want to find some media that aren't rediculously expensive and yet are reliable for this drive. I'll have to check out the list on that page you guys mentioned. Thanks.

At least my sony DVD player will read any media format...

--Mike
    Mike I'm paying $2 a disk for the Verbatim 4X +Rs in 15 pack spindles at Best Buy, $1.89 for Fuji 4X +R same place.

And I just walk in and buy, no S&H.

I'm using them in a 500A firmware 2.0f at 4X with Nero and no problems.

If you paid $50 for 25 pcs online memorex hmmm.....

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had trouble with Memorex DVDs and CDs. I've been using Optodisk (silver and gold) with my DRU-500 with a lot of success. But I've also started burning everything to a Sony +RW DVD first. After I check that disk to make sure it's okay I copy it onto a DVD-R. If it's not okay then I don't have a coaster- I still have a +RW DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Try some Apple DVDRs rated at 4x. I've burned them using a Sony DRU500AX (firmware 2.0c) with no problems. I think the quality of the media is more to blame in this case. However, I have used Memorex DVDRs rated at 2x and haven't burned a coaster with them. Not to sound "smart", but the I feel the quality of the media is relative to the cost. Especially in electronics and electronic media, you get what you pay for. Sometimes, spending a little more in the short-term saves you money in the long-term.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if you are having 50% failure rate then you can send the faulty ones back and get them replaced. they should be guaranteed
    Quote Quote  
  12. BeAlls also work great in the Sony (apparently not so in the Pioneers). At around $1.35 per disk they are the best and most reliable 2X DVD-R cheap media around.
    "Like a knife, he cuts through life, like every day's his last" -- Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    Quote Quote  
  13. I don't know what ya talking about spending all this extra money on blank dvds. I only buy cheap brand and I burned over 1000 blanks dvd on my Sony dru-500A. I made my mistakes buying Verbatim and Maxell. Those guys just gave me coasters. However, Kyhypermedia, and Maxell works fine but they're too expensive.

I buy my cheap brand from the following places that I know that works:

www.meritline.com - Accu and DVDPro 1X-4X
    www.shop4tech.com - Shop4Tech Brand and Leda
    http://store.yahoo.com/blankcdcdr/index.html - House Brand
    www.allmediaoutlet.com - House Brand

All these blanks works on my Sony DRU-500A with 1.0d firmware. If your burner working and burning at 4X for that specific media, don't upgrade your firmware!!!!! Why upgrade when you got it working great with cheap media that you found. Good LUCK!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check the back of the box for where the Memorex DVDs come from. Apparently, you might have better luck with the ones that say they come from Japan rather than the Taiwanese ones. Smart people up where I am always clean out the Japanese blanks and leave the Taiwanese ones. I'm actually sorry I mentioned this to one guy who regularly cleans out the entire shipment when they come in to the stores here, as it leaves none for me...
    Quote Quote