VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm doing an editing job using Subtitle Edit. I must have hit some wrong key and all the formatting is lost.
    Retrieving from a backup, it looks like the setting in Subtitle Edit is altered. What caused this? You can see where all the
    dialog lines are now the same color. If there is an "Undo" or something I don't know how to fix it.

If I retrieve a previous Save and -- what? reinstall the program? What's the remedy? How do these things happen just
    changing dialog?

I'll show a screen shot...

I can't continue until this is repaired.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lost formatting.png
Views:	50
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	66041  

Quote Quote  
  2. I see an error finally. The line length is 865 or something! How do I return it to normal? I'll try a fix on my own
    but I thought these line lengths were stored in program settings, not something you can screw up accidentally...
    There was no 'Undo" for this that I've seen.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just load the original subtitle and see if it clears any errors.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I moved the whole work folder to my second PC. That should have given a different program copy to look at but the long line error remains.
    I did a quick google search which gave Settings > General > Max line length at 43. Not 136. I don't know where Subtitle edit shows this.
    I also used that Gener screen to go back to defaullts. It's still not fixed.

On my backup copy, No alternative but to try a re-install until some answer is given here. It's problably simple. But it's confounding me to fix.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Maybe:

Tools -> Break/Split Long Lines -> Single Line Maximum Length -> N

or:

Options -> Settings -> General -> Single Line Max Length -> N
    Quote Quote  
  6. locotus
    Search Comp PM
    Try to recover through file>recover autobackup. You may find there some back-ups of your spoiled file.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Go to options and that's where you will find settings.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	66045  

I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I will do what you say.
    But how did the error occur and why can't I trace it? Or have an Undo? I don't recall saving after that
    error happened.

Like I said, the max line length thing in the General tab is 43 whateves and unchanged.

As a fallback I installed an old version from March on a backup PC and loaded yesterdays work. That seems ok.

I am still reading replies. Thanks for prompt response.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The File Restore Auto backup may have done the job. I had no clue such a feature was in there.

How the problem happened where the Options > Settings > General > max line settings were not altered is a mystery. Also I noted that these long line errors could be seen in different lines with different values.
    Is there some command key I hit by accident?

Anyway I'll come back to this tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Each profile has its own max line length setting. Maybe you accidentally switched profiles?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have never set a profile other than the default. My knowledge of advanced features is pretty much nil.

The only background I can give is that when I do an exact word subtitle edit I use a PDF alongside from
    the classic text. Flipping back and forth between the two is the only thing I could point to. And that having
    some keystroke interference once again from hot keys or something. If I have the error again, I'll try to
    watch more closely.

Lastly since these very high line number counts are even possible, can the undo feature be programmed
    for it in any program updates? Or an error message. Or both.
    Quote Quote