VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When I use ffmpegX's (v0.0.9u) join feature in the tools section it cuts the movie short. Curiously enough at exactly 2 hours. Any ideas as to whats going on? I'm trying to sew together two DivX AVIs into one file and to then generate a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Not to take away from the issue you may have discovered, some other options would be:

I've often found that things go more smoothly if you first convert your videos to MPEG and then join them using something like MPEG Streamclip. It tends to avoid audio sync problems mostly.

Also, you could use the Save as AVI plug in that comes with Streamclip to join the AVIS in Quicktime. This method may require using Divx Doctor first to avoid some out of sync problems, but that will depend on your original AVIs

Cheers,
    Alph
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had exactly the same problem. I ended up using QT Pro to join them and it seems to have worked fine. Having a bit of trouble converting to DVD now, though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ive used the join program twice now to join .avi's into a single file before converting to DVD. the first time it worked fine. Joined properly, converted properly, everything. Now for the second file, im having problems.

It joined properly, the file plays as it should, nothing cut. But when i try to convert it, it gets weird. First off, i was having problems getting the resolution to be maintained. But thats not my problem. When it gets converted, ive seen the end file be truncated to 55mins (first couple times) and 2h6mins (this time). Where the source file is 2h55mins. For some reason, it sees the .wav sound portion as being only 2h6min. I have no idea how to get around this, perhaps a different program? or a different setting (im using the DVD mpeg2enc pre-set with 4:3 autosize)?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SilentBob's problem almost sounds like he's transcoding from PAL to NTSC (which might cause the audio and video to be different lengths). Just a guess..
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It wasn't a PAL to NTSC thing for me I can tell you that for sure! At the 2 hour mark the video just went all white for no reason at all and I tried joining it in ffmpegX several times with the same result.

So my suggestion for QT pro will work OR use MPEG Streamclip as the other person suggested. I tried that as well and it works extremely well (and fast).
    Quote Quote  
  7. If it doesn't join files correcty, and I have found that when you use it to convert to other formats it looses quality, then what ap will do a good avi to mpeg conversion or what ap will do a good job of joining .avi files? I have seen almost no quality difference between the original DVDs and the 700 M divx files, so I want to archive 5 or 6 movies on one DVD, and use a new players that plays almost everything. I have ordered a cool player, but I am not sure what is the best format to use or how to convert the various formats to what ever is best
    Quote Quote