VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there
    I've tried to use the various MKV extracting software (that includes MKVCleaver) but they are all only allowing me to convert the first few seconds of each file I have tried them on. I've never used these programs before & can find nothing in any of the guides anywhere on the net to tell me what I may be doing wrong?

Is there any alternative suggestions anyone may have that will allow me to get around this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Assuming the input is an .mkv file and does play properly: -> have you tried mkvextract itself and not some GUI for it?
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by magnu View Post
    Hi there
    I've tried to use the various MKV extracting software (that includes MKVCleaver) but they are all only allowing me to convert the first few seconds of each file I have tried them on. I've never used these programs before & can find nothing in any of the guides anywhere on the net to tell me what I may be doing wrong?

Is there any alternative suggestions anyone may have that will allow me to get around this problem?
    Your post is a little confusing - are you trying to Extract an element from a MKV file ie Extract the audio or video or subtitle/s, tags etc or are you trying to Convert a MKV file to ???
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. So how do I use MKVExtract? I presume I put some info via Command Prompt?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Originally Posted by magnu View Post
    Hi there

Your post is a little confusing - are you trying to Extract an element from a MKV file ie Extract the audio or video or subtitle/s, tags etc or are you trying to Convert a MKV file to ???
    Trying to convert the file to another format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So a little clarification what is the original file type and what are you wishing to convert to? Neither mkv cleaver or mkv extract are used for converting a file from one format to another. They are for extracting say the audio out if an existing mkv file and the maybe using another program to convert that audio file format to another Audio format.

If you post a MediaInfo report of your existing file and a note as to what you want to do exactly we can help.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. What I'm actually trying to do is Demux an MKV, but found no info on how to do that? I found the following info elsewhere in regards to Womble Mpeg Editor which lead me to this point:-

"MPEG2 can be found in .MKV container too, but you will not be able to losslessly edit it that way. Demux it first (with MKVExtractGUI) and you can treat it like a plain old DVD mpg video clip. .TS and .M2TS may or may not need the same treatment."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you need to extract both the audio and video as separate streams, well in that case both MKVExtractGUI or MKVCleaver should work. Do you have the latest version of those programs? What operating system do you have? HAve you tried another MKV file to see if you get the same results, ie stops after a few seconds? The original file may have an error in it and sometimes if you simply load it into MKVToolNix and remux the file, only takes a few minutes, that process can sometimes fix small errors.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have Windows 10 & the latest versions of all programs I have tried. I also tried with a few different files, but all had the same problem. I'll try remuxing.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I tried remuxing but made no difference
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Which version of MKVCleaver do you have, the 32 bit of 64 bit ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have MKVCleaver 64 & Windows 10 64
    Quote Quote  
  13. Just downloaded the 32 bit version but was just the same.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Do you have permissions to write to that destination drive or directory ? Try writing to another external HDD

You can also try gmkvextractgui, which has a more recent update
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/gMKVExtractGUI

or ffmpeg

Does mkv play ok ? Maybe it's damaged ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. What happens if you remux the sourcefile with MKVToolNix? Do you get a file with only first seconds or do you get full length of source?
    Quote Quote  
  16. In reply to the last two questions, I have permissions to write to & from those drives. The MKVs do play fine, & are not damaged. I've also tried MKVToolNix & have the same problem. I found a way to get around the problem by using AVStoDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by magnu View Post
    Hi there
    I've tried to use the various MKV extracting software (that includes MKVCleaver) but they are all only allowing me to convert the first few seconds of each file I have tried them on. I've never used these programs before & can find nothing in any of the guides anywhere on the net to tell me what I may be doing wrong? Discord Adobe Reader iTunes

Just downloaded the 32 bit version but was just the same.
    Last edited by arnaldpirotty; 1st Nov 2018 at 13:01.
    Quote Quote