VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Guys, I'm trying to make compatible videos for my car, infiniti 2015 qx60. From the research I've done, it seems the max flash drive it will recognize is 64gb. I have a couple of 128gb laying around unused. Can we shrink the usb size down to 64gb and fool the system? Is that possible? If so, what software would I need to use? Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Very much depends on the operating system but a good start would be to try partitioning it into two 64GB drives. If all goes well, you get the full 128GB of storage but selectable as one of two 64GB drives.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What if the Infiniti OS doesn't respond or allow to select? Is there a way to eliminate half of the 64gb? Just don't allocate half of it? Would that work?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FYI for those interested or have infiniti cars. I don't know why people are saying 64gb is max. It appears to me 32gb is max since the drive needs to be fat16 or fat32. You can't format to fat32 with 64gb. Anyway, in my experiment with my 128gb drive. The good news is that it works, the bad news is that it won't recognize multiple partitions. I tried two scenarios:

1. Created a 29 gb partition (fat32) and the rest was not allocated. This works!
    2. Created FOUR equal partitions. You don't really get FOUR 32gb sections, it will be a little less for each. In the disc management, it'll show you the total bytes you have and I just divide that by four, and it comes out to about 29 gb each. In any case, the car only recognizes the first partition, and movies on it play fine. I couldn't find anything in the settings that would allow me to select the other partitions.

I got kids and this is absolutely necessary for long rides. LOL!
    Quote Quote  
  5. It should be possible with vendor tool to control advanced aspects for flash controller - you need to detect IC controller used by your flash drive then search tool and use it - you can create partition, reduce size, restrict partition type (read only, DVD emulation etc). This is common practice for advertisement flash drives - they have protected partition behaving like ROM, some flash drives emulating DVD/CD so they can boot on systems that doesn't support boot from flash etc.
    Flash drive controller IC's are usually 32 bit CPU's with own operating system (Linux?) and they can provide very complex functionality.
    This is very comprehensive site dedicated for this area https://www.usbdev.ru/files/ but it can be difficult for you due of language.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
    You can't format to fat32 with 64gb. Anyway, in my experiment with my 128gb drive.
    I have a 128gb flash drive that I formatted to FAT32 with a tool called GuiFormat.
    http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
    You can't format to fat32 with 64gb
    Only Microsoft's tools are limited to 32 GB. There are other tools that allow up to 2 TB or larger. Also be aware that FAT32 has a maximum file size of 4GB.

Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
    2. Created FOUR equal partitions. You don't really get FOUR 32gb sections, it will be a little less for each. In the disc management, it'll show you the total bytes you have and I just divide that by four, and it comes out to about 29 gb each.
    This is because drive manufacturers list drive capacity GB, but Microsoft reports drive sizes in GiB (though they use the term GB).

1 GB = 1000 *1000 * 1000 bytes = 1,000,000,000 bytes
    1 GiB = 1024 * 1024 * 1024 bytes = 1,073,741,824 bytes

So your 128 GB drive is ~128,000,000,000 bytes, or 119.2 GiB. Dividing that by 4 partitions gives about 29.8 GiB each (a little less due to wasted space between partitions, and partition overhead).
    Quote Quote