VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was just about to license MakeMKV, when I saw that SlySoft/Elaborate Bytes was offering CloneBD, which purported to do the same thing.

I then noticed that CloneBD is $115 vs. $50 for MakeMKV, PLUS CloneBD can't handle DVDs (just BD)! Worse, it requires AnyDVD HD, while MakeMKV can decrypt on its own.
    * BTW, I love AnyDVD and it definitely has its place, so let's not drag AnyDVD HD into this.

So, I posted on SlySoft's CloneBD Forum on this, asking why CloneBD warrants so much more money for less functionality. I got a somewhat peevish reply from an admin with a link to their standard glossy page. Yep, I've read that. Thx! So, how 'bout some hard data for ya then?

I conducted a test between the products: a lossless conversion of a Bluray title to MKV. Yikes! What a difference!

Check out the performance difference, when playing back in MPC-HC 64-bit (v1.7.9) on a Core i7 with 6 cores @ 3.2 GHz, 32 GB, and dual nVIDIA GTX 680's:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Performance.JPG
Views:	797
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	32081

* the top MPC instance is playing the MKV generated by CloneBD, and the bottom is MakeMKV.

That's absolutely hideous! The CloneBD instance can't even hit half the target framerate of 23.976. These videos were playing simultaneously from the same position in the video track (my system can easily play multiple instances at full framerates, so don't point at me).

Here are the video track differences when using each tool in "lossless" mode:

CloneBD video track:
    Name:  CloneBD.JPG
Views: 5102
Size:  31.3 KB

MakeMKV video track:
    Name:  MakeMKV.jpg
Views: 5081
Size:  43.6 KB

When I posted this hard data reply, I noticed that the SlySoft admins set me to "review this idiot first" mode, so I have yet to see my reply in their forums. That lead me to this VideoHelp forum: the one place that has always been there for me (and you!).
    Any similar experiences out there? What am I missing? Comments?
    Last edited by mBrane; 6th Jun 2015 at 23:05.
    - mBrane
    Quote Quote  
  2. I personally use AnyDVD HD and MakeMKV.
    In the "old days" I used DVD Shrink instead of CloneDVD. Same for Blu-ray. I prefer MakeMKV.

It can do everything I need to back up my discs - DVD and Blu-ray support.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I prefer MakeMKV as well, coupled with BD Rebuilder. But at the moment, in version 1.9.3, there is a known bug that they are working on that causes it to hang when using the "Backup" mode that produces certain decrypted files that BD Rebuilder uses, instead of the MKV. Even so, I have used the "Direct" mode successfully in version 1.9.3, though it took quite a bit longer to process. Just FYI.

I expect a solution to the bug will be forthcoming soon. The guy that produced MakeMKV is brilliant, so whenever there's a problem, it's usually just a matter of time before it is sorted out.
    Last edited by LloydS; 20th Dec 2016 at 00:51.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please note that just a few days after I posted the post immediately above this post, the bug in MakeMKV was fixed and that program has been running quite beautifully ever since.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MakeMKV and CloneBD are not the same thing, MakeMKV can remove copy protection and copy to hard drive and CloneBD cannot, CloneBD can make a playable disk that had cinavia on it and MakeMKV cannot, CloneBD will make a Bluray folder with a BMDV folder and a Certificate folder to burn to a disk and MakeMKV cannot, There may be others but these are probably the most common one's.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I tested CloneBD recently as the AnyDVD forum mods said it was much better than MakeMKV. It's not........it's really not even a close competition.
    The quality of the output from CloneBD was terrible - it converts everything to variable frame and compressed audio - even when you select the option to leave video and audio untouched. Avoid CloneBD - it's pants (and expensive).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by duffbeer View Post
    I tested CloneBD recently as the AnyDVD forum mods said it was much better than MakeMKV. It's not........it's really not even a close competition.
    The quality of the output from CloneBD was terrible - it converts everything to variable frame and compressed audio - even when you select the option to leave video and audio untouched. Avoid CloneBD - it's pants (and expensive).
    AnyDVD is just as good as MakeMKV when your ripping to hard drive, When your using CloneBD your converting the movie which changes it which is a whole different procedure that is why it's different, Use MkeMKV or AnyDVD to rip to hard drive then if you want to convert use BD Rebuilder.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by tarzan54 View Post
    I tested CloneBD recently as the AnyDVD forum mods said it was much better than MakeMKV. It's not........it's really not even a close competition.
    AnyDVD is just as good as MakeMKV when your ripping to hard drive, When your using CloneBD your converting the movie which changes it which is a whole different procedure that is why it's different, Use MkeMKV or AnyDVD to rip to hard drive then if you want to convert use BD Rebuilder.
    You seem to have missed my point. AnyDVD is great - I have no problem with it at all. CloneBD is total crap. It has settings that say the resulting MKV file should be an exact duplicate of the source - but this is not true. Try for yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tarzan54 View Post
    You seem to have missed my point. AnyDVD is great - I have no problem with it at all. CloneBD is total crap. It has settings that say the resulting MKV file should be an exact duplicate of the source - but this is not true. Try for yourself.
    Sorry if I'm not reading this right, But your comparing CloneBD to MakeMKV which those programs are different so I can't see how you can compare one to the other.
    Quote Quote