VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PGS subs display properly using WD TV Live, but the original Gen 1 player (firmware version 1.03.01) can't handle them.
    I read online that compressing the subs with MKVToolnix using zlib might help - but it made no difference.
    Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your kind reply, it works fine however I have over one hundred files to work on and it would be too much for that.
    What I have done is used an ffmpeg command line to convert mkv to mp4 with the overlay command; that file is fine for the WD TV player, thus:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i grimm.mkv -filter_complex "[0:v:0][0:s:0]overlay[v]" -map "[v]" -map 0:a:0 -c:a copy output.mp4
    Which gives me what I need, but when I try using it in a batch file:

Code:
    for %%a in ("*.mkv") do ffmpeg  -i "%%a" -filter_complex "[0:v:0][0:s:0]overlay[v]" -map "[v]" -map 0:a:0 -c:a "season 1x264\%%~na.mp4"
    I get an error saying the filter overlay has an unconnected error; I suspect my syntax is wrong.

[Attachment 59838 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sambat View Post
    Thank you for your kind reply, it works fine however I have over one hundred files to work on and it would be too much for that.
    What I have done is used an ffmpeg command line to convert mkv to mp4 with the overlay command; that file is fine for the WD TV player, thus:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i grimm.mkv -filter_complex "[0:v:0][0:s:0]overlay[v]" -map "[v]" -map 0:a:0 -c:a copy output.mp4
    Which gives me what I need, but when I try using it in a batch file:

Code:
    for %%a in ("*.mkv") do ffmpeg  -i "%%a" -filter_complex "[0:v:0][0:s:0]overlay[v]" -map "[v]" -map 0:a:0 -c:a "season 1x264\%%~na.mp4"
    I get an error saying the filter overlay has an unconnected error; I suspect my syntax is wrong.

[Attachment 59838 - Click to enlarge]
    try removing -map & Enclose the filtergraph in quotes. And remove [output] - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47328079/filter-has-an-unconnected-output
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @october262
    Thanks again for the hint, I adjusted the code and got it working .

I know that it's unlikely that anyone who still has a gen 1 WD TV media player needs the information, but I used the code to convert x265 mkv video that had pgs subs, to x264 mp4 with overlay subs.
    The conversion from x265 to x264 goes at a crawl, but I have a second pc that is running 24/7 and I'm not in a rush.
    The overlay [0:S:0] is for subtile stream 1, and can be adjusted to e.g [0:S:1] if you prefer another stream (in this case stream 2).

Code:
    for %%a in ("*.mkv") do ffmpeg  -i "%%a" -filter_complex "[0:v:0][0:s:0]overlay[v]" -map "[v]" -map 0:a:0 -c:v libx264 -preset slow -crf 23 -c:a copy  "season 1x264\%%~na.mp4"
    Quote Quote