VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I'm planning on recording old tapes (Hi8) to my PC using an A/V to USB converter. When in playback mode and playing tapes, the output to my PC is in greyscale with horizontal, coloured lines across the screen. However, when in camera mode, relaying live camera feed to my PC, the output is in perfect colour with no artifacts. I have attached images demonstrating this. It may be worth mentioning that tapes play fine through the viewfinder, which is always greyscale. Thanks.

[Attachment 57311 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 57313 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    What format the tapes are recorded in? PAL, NTSC ??? Camcorder model? Country of the tapes? Come on do you think we are magicians here? Without info no one can guess.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    What format the tapes are recorded in? PAL, NTSC ??? Camcorder model? Country of the tapes? Come on do you think we are magicians here? Without info no one can guess.
    Alright sorry, I'm new to this. The tapes are PAL, the camcorder is a Sanyo VMD90P, and the tapes were most likely purchased in the UK.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Some old 8mm camcorders don't track well tapes recorded on other camcorders which results in loss of chroma especially low speed tapes, What speed the tapes recorded at? SP or LP (EP, SLP)? If you don't have another camcorder to try you may have to buy a Hi8 or D8 camcorder and hope for the best.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Some old 8mm camcorders don't track well tapes recorded on other camcorders which results in loss of chroma especially low speed tapes, What speed the tapes recorded at? SP or LP (EP, SLP)? If you don't have another camcorder to try you may have to buy a Hi8 or D8 camcorder and hope for the best.
    I can confirm that these tapes were recorded using this camera. They are recorded at SP. If second hand Hi8 camcorders aren't expensive I will go down that route.
    Quote Quote