VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all,

I managed to capture video from an old miniDV to an old laptop using firewire. There were a dozen miniDVs and took a lot of GB space as I captured in AVI.

Now over a decade ago, Windows Movie Maker did a good job editing and burning into a DVD. Life happened and I have been out of loop on what's the best editing tool that I can use on Windows laptop.

Eventually, I would like to be able to play videos on Samsung 55" dumb TV (not smart, very old). Looks like my TV doesn't play these videos that are in hard drive now.

So any recommendations for buying a reasonably price editing software and burn them into DVDs would be highly appreciated!

Thank you!!
    Last edited by foton24; 15th Nov 2018 at 10:13.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Windows Media Player is a player not an editor. Did you mean Windows Movie Maker?
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Windows Media Player is a player not an editor. Did you mean Windows Movie Maker?
    My bad. Yes, I meant windows movie maker.

Thanks.

Edit: Updated the original post with Movie Maker.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe, but I'm not 100% sure that Android supports DV video (I'm sure someone here will be able to answer this) But if it does, get a dedicated media player and enjoy your videos hassle free.

$50 - $100 - Android Box or Raspberry Pi (as Jagabo suggested). Stick with the 4 star+ boxes on Amazon and the build quality is generally solid with higher cost giving you additional streaming features that you may not need.

$100 to $150+ - KDLinks, Nvidia Shield, laptop, HTPC. Note that the newer KDLinks models (e.g. A400) run Android and IMHO, doesn't warrant the premium over a $100 Android Box. While the Nvidia Shield is highly praised, most of the praise is for it's gaming capabilities, not the video capabilities.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The best Editing software has always been Sony Vegas Pro. Adobe is just money grubber. I can do all in Sony Vegas Pro.
    Last edited by budwzr; 15th Nov 2018 at 13:58.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Edit with Virtualdub (free), burn to DVD with DVDStyler (free). It's suggested you install DVDStyler-3.0.2-win32.exe, as the newer ones have adware which tends to happen with free software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Edit with Virtualdub (free), burn to DVD with DVDStyler (free).
    Yeah, maybe free but Sony Vegas Pro has deeper tools. Premiere is money grubber. If you buy Sony Vegas Pro one time fee, you get very robust editing environments forever with no additional fees.

If you know you're stuff, you know who is more robust. Im editing for 20+ years. Premiere is a giant money-grab.
    Last edited by budwzr; 15th Nov 2018 at 14:05.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Yeah, maybe free but Sony Vegas Pro has deeper tools.
    OP wants to chop up DV videos and put them on a DVD, don't really think OP needs Vegas for that. If OP wants to do more than that then maybe Vegas should be considered.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Yeah, maybe free but Sony Vegas Pro has deeper tools. Premiere is money grubber. If you buy Sony Vegas Pro one time fee, you get very robust editing environments forever with no additional fees.

If you know you're stuff, you know who is more robust. Im editing for 20+ years. Premiere is a giant money-grab.
    Thank you,

I see the price range for Vegas Pro from $60 to $800. I am in no way a pro in this, but I can imagine how much better this could be. Would I be throwing my money if I bought the $60 Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 15?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Yeah, maybe free but Sony Vegas Pro has deeper tools.
    OP wants to chop up DV videos and put them on a DVD, don't really think OP needs Vegas for that. If OP wants to do more than that then maybe Vegas should be considered.
    Back in the days, I had:
    - Windows movie maker
    - Ulead VideoStudio
    - Virtualdub

I was able to make something quick and dirty, but it was well done. Now they are all clunky, although I will have to check out Virtualdub again....
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by foton24 View Post
    I see the price range for Vegas Pro from $60 to $800. I am in no way a pro in this, but I can imagine how much better this could be. Would I be throwing my money if I bought the $60 Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 15?
    Vegas Movie Studio is the best bargain in town -- very capable and very reasonably priced. (and you should be able to find it for even less with a little hunting.) If it isn't powerful enough, you can upgrade to Vegas Pro without having to relearn the software from scratch. (And Premiere is excellent these days -- but stay away from Premiere Elements.)
    Quote Quote  
  12. arpantoja Your question is unrelated to the original post. You probably should start a new thread.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by foton24 View Post

Thank you,

Yeah, you should throw your money towards compositing tools. Then learn later, before they hike the price again. It's just gonna cost you more later. Sony Vegas Pro is at the peak performance now
    Last edited by budwzr; 18th Nov 2018 at 14:55.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The next step beyond Sony Vegas Pro is Hitfilm. Hitfilm will give you all the particle effects.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Thank you,

No, they will credit you the Pro version. It takes a year or longer to absorb the concepts. Just buy it now. The future of 1080P is pretty solid for a long time because of streaming.
    Last edited by budwzr; 18th Nov 2018 at 15:05.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Vegas Movie Studio is the best bargain in town -- very capable and very reasonably priced. (and you should be able to find it for even less with a little hunting.) If it isn't powerful enough, you can upgrade to Vegas Pro without having to relearn the software from scratch. (And Premiere is excellent these days -- but stay away from Premiere Elements.)
    And also you can do all your compositing in Vegas Pro. It takes a few few months to figger out. Be patient. Your money is safe. Compositing is a static skill, don't worry, you will still be safe. No money at risk.

Buy now, and take your time to learn. You wont regret. But yeah, stay away from Premiere Pro unless you're rich.
    Last edited by budwzr; 18th Nov 2018 at 15:50.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Right On!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Thank you,

Check the upgrade policy before you buy. Otherwise, go ahead and buy. You wont regret Vegas Pro purchase. Good for years of editing. Especially since most media is online now. 1080p is the new standard. Will last a long time.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    @ TreeTops I moved arpantoja's post to a new thread.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post

Thank you,

Check the upgrade policy before you buy. Otherwise, go ahead and buy. You wont regret Vegas Pro purchase. Good for years of editing. Especially since most media is online now. 1080p is the new standard. Will last a long time.
    Thank you budwzr. Any recommendation as to which one I should buy. Looks like there are many from the movie studio version itself.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=vegas+pro+movie+studio&_dyncharset=UTF-...=960&keys=keys
    Quote Quote