VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just bought a new computer and installed everything from scratch, well I ran TMPgenc to see how fast it would be, and when done the files wont play in WMV player. I updated everything I can think of and installed many codecs yet to no avail.

I have DirectX9 on my computer as it was needed for my videocard.

Anyone have any ideas.
    "Sleep-
    Those little slices of Death;
    How I loath them."
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You may want to go ahead and get software player. And you can also go to the Tools section at left and look under codecs for an MPEG-2 codec as well.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Getting WMP9 to reliably play MPEG-2 video is ... nearly impossible.

In the past year or so, I've redone my machine several times. On ONE of those occasions I got WMP9 to play MPEG-2 every time. On one it NEVER played it properly, and on a few others it would play it AFTER a long pause and a popup notice that there was a problem.

Basically, I think that WMP9 has SERIOUS issues demuxing the video and properly identifying it. Sometimes it thinks it's MPG1, and gets all confused. Sometimes it just shits itself.

Nevermind trying to play SVCD's. WOOOO that'll just never work.

Just get PowerDVD or something. It'll save you a million headaches.

- Gurm
    Quote Quote  
  4. Doesn't Windows use the MPEG2 codecs from whatever software DVD player you have installed? I thought that was the way it worked?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by andkiich
    Doesn't Windows use the MPEG2 codecs from whatever software DVD player you have installed? I thought that was the way it worked?
    the way it is supposed to work but Windows Media Player 9 is crap ... total complete crap .. (IMO)

use media player 6.4 (ms wisely still includes this) or even better - "Media Player Classic" ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WMP9 is total crap. If you don't have it, don't upgrade to it. If you get a message saying that there is a new version available, just ignore it. Like a dummy, I upgraded, and what a piece of crap it is. I reinstalled windows and am back to using the version windows came with.

Do yourself a favor and get PowerDVD like the previous poster recommened.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yeah, I rarely use Windows Media Player these days, although I haven't had the same problems as others here mentioned with playing MPEG2 files.

If you don't want to buy PowerDVD, or obtain it from other sources (wink wink), or simply don't like it, like me, I would suggest either Zoom Player or BSPlayer, both of these are EXCELENT players. But you need to make sure you have an MPEG2 decoder PROPERLY installed. Do this by downloading and opening the app called Gspot. Open one of your MPEG2 files in Gspot, then click on "render" at the bottom. if rendering is successful, note what decoder is being used, Zoom Player or BSPlayer should play these MPEG2 movies fine. If rendering is unsuccessful, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.
    Quote Quote