VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone
    I would like to convert the audio of some mkv movies. The audio is mainly in DTS 5.1 format, but some are in truehd format or dtshd. I have a set of 2 front speakers and a subwoofer. My amplifier is old and only understands Dolby Digital. So I need a software to convert those audios to Dolby Digital. Is it possible to go from DTS 5.1 to Dolby Digital AC3 2.1? (2 - front left and right and .1 - subwoofer)
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Open the mkv in avidemux and select:
    1- Video output -> copy
    2- audio output -> ac3 (aften or lav), select CONFIGURE and FILTERS to your liking
    3- output format ->mkv
    4- File -> Save

Or load the mkv video file in LameXP and convert the audio to ac3, then use avidemux to add that audio track to the original mkv, that way you'll have both dts and ac3

or use a "one in all converter" like vidcoder, xvid4psp, format factory, tencoder etc
    Last edited by ricardouk; 4th Jun 2018 at 12:46.
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the reply. I installed avidemux and now I really don't know which filter I should choose for 2.1 (2 front speakers + subwoofer):

stereo
    stereo + surround
    stereo + center
    stereo + center + surround
    stereo front +stereo rear
    Dolby Prologic
    Dolby Prologic II
    Quote Quote  
  4. What is your player? If you are using your PC for playback: some software players allow on-the-fly re-encoding to AC3. Then you don't have to go through the hassle of re-encoding everything.
    Quote Quote  
  5. My player is a popcorn hour vten
    Quote Quote  
  6. None of the options that avidemux offers gives me the option for 2.1
    Only if I choose 5.1 it keeps the LFE channel... (according to mediainfo)
    The rest give me combinations of FL and FR, FL C FR... Mediainfo doesn't mention LFE in these. But then the subwoofer is not doing anything?
    Last edited by lenberg; 4th Jun 2018 at 14:24.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Popcorn Audio Convertor can convert DTS to AC3 Dolby digital and downmix to stereo in one operation without affecting or processing the video and in situ

https://www.videohelp.com/software/PopCorn-MKV-AudioConverter

[Attachment 45830 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by netmask56; 4th Jun 2018 at 17:19.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  8. It may be a plain stereo configuration when subwoofer part is extracted from Left and Right in analog filter and redirected to sub - you should verify this and this is why i prefer to manually always add LFE to downmix part. And by Dolby standard LFE downmixing is not forbidden - it is just not recommended to avoid clipping but if you can prevent clipping then everything is fine.
    Last edited by pandy; 6th Jun 2018 at 11:24.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Popcorn Audio Convertor can convert DTS to AC3 Dolby digital and downmix to stereo in one operation without affecting or processing the video and in situ

https://www.videohelp.com/software/PopCorn-MKV-AudioConverter

[Attachment 45830 - Click to enlarge]
    I tried with this software, but according to mediainfo there is not any LFE channel in the resulting file, only L and R

Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    It may plain stereo configuration when subwoofer part is extracted from Left and Right in analog filter and redirected to sub - you should verify this and this is why i prefer to manually always add LFE to downmix part. And by Dolby standard LFE downmixing is not forbidden - it is just not recommended to avoid clipping but if you can prevent clipping then everything is fine.

How do you manually add LFE? Are you referring to Popcorn Audio Converter software? Thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What type of speakers do you have, ie physical size of the cones of the main speakers and what type of subwoofer is it - amp output etc. The LFE channel is derived from the discrete left and right channels anyway. Depends on if you amp filters out low bass on the L and R speakers or merely adds a low pass mix of the L and R to the sub amp and speaker. Nothing discrete about the info on the LFE it's all there on your L and R speakers and if they are up to the job you don't need the sub but it does depend on the speakers themselves.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  11. Drivers

Front : 2.5 inch
    Subwoofer: 6 inch

Dimensions

Front: 89 mm (W) x 89 mm (H) x 89 mm (D)
    Subwoofer: 250 mm (W) x 204 mm (H) x 375 mm (D)

I don't know much about technical details of the system. The subwoofer doesn't have any power adapter, it is only connected to the amplifier with a cable. The speakers don't have a power adapter either.

*Note: The previous owner is looking for the center speaker so I may get hold of it. Maybe in that scenario I have more conversion options...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by lenberg View Post
    How do you manually add LFE? Are you referring to Popcorn Audio Converter software? Thank you
    My comment was related to manual downmixing - never used mentioned by you converter as such can't help you directly. Personally prefer to use ffmpeg where i usually performing custom downmixing with LFE.
    Code:
    pan=stereo|FL < FL+1.414FC+0.5BL+0.5SL+0.25LFE|FR < FR+1.414FC+0.5BR+0.5SR+0.25LFE
    Such downmixing allow me emphasize center (dialogue) channel and not loose signal from LFE channel.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by pandy View Post

Code:
    pan=stereo|FL < FL+1.414FC+0.5BL+0.5SL+0.25LFE|FR < FR+1.414FC+0.5BR+0.5SR+0.25LFE
    Thank you for the reply.
    How would you include in that line of parameters the center speaker? (I may get hold of one soon) So it would be FL FC FR and subwoofer.
    That way the center would carry mainly the dialogues and other effects and music would come from the FL and FR, and with a moderate sound in comparison to the dialogues so we don't go deaf when there is an explosion.

Thank you.
    Last edited by lenberg; 6th Jun 2018 at 11:39.
    Quote Quote