VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do you use in-store pickup when ordering online?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So do you use the instore pickup option when you buy online? Or the similar "ship-to-store" option?

Do you only buy from stores online that don't have a physical store room?

I have yet to actually do a instore pickup. The times I've ordered from Target or Bestbuy online I've had the item shipped to me. Othertimes from Amazon or ebay they obviously ship it since there is no store to go to.

How about you? Are you shipping only when buying online?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've done a in store pickup on a motherboard at frys. That had one in stock somewhere else.
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  3. If I'm ordering on-line I have it delivered to my house. I don't order on-line from stores I can walk into.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  4. It depends on which way the wind is blowing and what mood I am in.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    If I'm ordering on-line I have it delivered to my house. I don't order on-line from stores I can walk into.
    Same here.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you use in-store pickup when ordering online?
    I've only done this once. CC gave me the option of free shipping to my home or free pickup. I chose free pickup because I could get the item sooner.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It depends:

Buying from stores you can walk into means paying sales tax, whether or not you buy it online. If there is shipping cost from buying online and home delivery, sometimes the shipping and the sales tax is a wash. In which case, I go with the local store.

Buying from Amazon and most others means no sales tax. Usually minimal or no shipping.

The convenience of returning defective items is a consideration, depending on how likely the item is to be defective.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I don't know about Florida, but in Michigan you are supposed to pay sales tax on items you order on line. You have the option of keeping your receipts and using the actual amount of online purchases, or you can use the State determined "average" on the tax form.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Amazon doesn't charge state sales tax for orders shipped to Florida. There is an Amazon page that describes their sales tax policy:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468512

Some of Amazons partners will charge sales tax for some states.

Most PC vendors, like Gateway, Dell and HP, charge sales tax.

I pay sales tax on TigerDirect orders, because they are based in Miami.

Sites that do not have a presence in your state are not required to charge sales tax.

I suspect most states expect you to somehow use the "honor system" and pay sales tax to your state on orders that don't charge you sales tax.

It's between you and your state internal revenue dept. as to how well that might work.
    Quote Quote  
  10. OK it's semantics, but no retailer "charges" sales tax, the State does. Retailers collect sales tax on behalf of the state. Retailers that do not have a physical presence in the state are not required to collect sales tax, but that doesn't mean you don't owe it. Of course, whether or not you decide to pay it is between you, your conscience, and your tax accountant.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Save on shipping and handling", you've got to be joking? Both local A-V outlets charge extra for in-store pickup. It's cheaper to order direct from their websites. The staff they hire these days are so clueless the service is probably better online too
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've ordered things online from best buy and circuit city for their same day in store pickup simply to save the hassle of purchasing at the store. I've used REI in store pick-up, only for online only items, to save huge shipping costs. I live reasonably close to all these stores. Beyond that, it's always ship to my address.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used Circuit City in store pickup to buy a Canon HV20 because I needed it by a certain travel date. Sales tax would have been paid online with them anyway because CA requires online companies with any operation in CA to collect the tax. Sales tax is difficult to avoid in CA since most have exposure here. Alternate UPS ground shipping was "free" but I needed it sooner.

Turns out at the time (last summer) the HV20 wasn't generally carried in Circuit City stores. I had to drive to Sacramento, San Francisco or Reno to get it at one particular store in each location. I went to the Sacramento store and the HV20 was waiting for me. The store personnel knew nothing about the camcorder.

All in all, I like the option for in store pickup.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote