VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Can some help me out? the HDD on the right is from my Laptop, and the HDD on the left is the one that I was planning to replace it with. As you can see the left one has more pins than the right, so can I get an adapter? or do I need to buy another one? Also, can you tell me what do I ask for to get the correct drive?
    Thanks Guys

"Whenever I need to "get away,'' I just get away in my mind. I go to my imaginary spot, where the beach is perfect and the water is perfect and the weather is perfect. The only bad thing there are the flies. They're terrible!" Jack Handey
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Samsung Drive is PATA. The Hitachi Drive SATA.

If you want to replace the Hitachi you need another SATA drive. There are no adaptors.

PATA is older technology
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    serial to ide converter , but if in laptop , there be no room for the adapter to go .

better get another sata unit for laptop .
    Quote Quote  
  4. The drives are different. One says it is a PATA (Parallel interface), while the other states that it is a SATA (Serial Interface). They are not interchangable. You need to purchase the correct drive for your computer.

If it is too late to return one of the drives, you can buy an enclosure the the wrong drive or both drives. They cost $15 or less for the Pata or Sata 2 1/2" enclosure (Meritline.com).

Good luck!
    Quote Quote