VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am thinking of getting a Personal Video Player (PVP) that I can use at work/play.

But, all the PVP's I have looked at require that the video be converted into some version of MPEG-4.

Why???

I have video sitting on my desktop in VCD ready MPEG-1 format, and I don't want to reconvert them if I don't have to.

So, why aren't there any (that I have seen) that play MPEG 1 and/or SVCD/DVD MPEG-2 files? Is there a technical, license, or marketing reason?

Does the forum have a answer?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Many will play Mpg1 and Divx. PDA'a also. If it will play Xvid/Divx best bet it will Play Mpg1 and 2
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I could never find one that just played one format. Which ALL PVPs are you looking at that do this? Most if not all I have seen play xVid, WMV, MPG1,2,4, DivX, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I did have a divx Player,guess what it only played Divx.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You bought one too? I thought I was the only to admit to such foolishness. Us kids and our toys. Sometimes we jump the Betamax gun to get the tech we want.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Somtimes you jump before testing the waters.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We kinda got off topic here. I looked at a few sites and can't seem to find a Portable Video Player that only plays one specific type of video. Even disc players(Portable DVD) now play more than one format. Most of those don't do MP4 too.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe I should have been a little more clear.

I don't care if a PVR can play more then one format, BUT, to me playing MPEG 1 (or 2) should be one of them.

Yet, when I read the manual on many of these PVR I get confused

For example:

The manual for the Mustek PVR-H140 states that it can play files with the .MPG extention. Yet, at the same it has a file converter to change them to the ASF format. And further states that at lease Windows Media Encoded 7.1 has to be on the computer. Plus, at lease in the examples, the files on this PVR are all shown in the ASF format.

And both the Zen and FlashTrac PVR have listed in there manuals that the files have to be converted before playing.

So, if they say they can play MPEG 1 (or 2) then why the need for a converter?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Archos units play native divx avi files as does the Zen Vision: M units (I assume the same goes for the regular Zen Vision as well but haven't read anything from owners on that. The units from Mobinote are apprently divx certified for what it's worth.

Regarding the lies they tell about playing this or that format...yeah...it's really a problem. It is starting to get better however.
    Day Dreamin' about John Waters...again.

The Naked Gord Program
    http://nakedgord.blogspot.com
    Humour, Politics, Gadgets.
    Quote Quote