VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Software is WinX DVD Ripper Platinum (licensed copy - I paid for it). Just installed it today and I have having problems....far too many options for what I want to do. I'm running this under Windows 10.

All I want to do is make a single file MP4 of my DVD movies so I can store them on my PC to watch later. WinX DVD Ripper apparently wants to make 50 plus individual files on my HDD. I cannot figure out how to have it make just a single file (like entire_movie.MP4). I tried clicking "Merge titles" on the screen that shows the 50 plus individual titles, but that didn't help - I still get 50 + MP4 files on my HDD.

Any suggestions on settings to do this simple task would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone can help me with this? Seems like this ought to be a simple thing, it was with CuCuSoft's DVD to iPod converter on my old Win7 PC, but I cannot find a similar program for Win10.

HELP!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are they Titles or Chapters? 50 titles seems a lot.

It's a shame you didn't ask for advice BEFORE you purchased.

Most likely VidCoder or HandBrake could do what you wanted... for FREE.

Anyway, back to the good ol' WinX DVD Ripper question...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    Are they Titles or Chapters? 50 titles seems a lot.

No, they are called titles....weird. Well, I would have asked before I purchased, but I didn't know about it until then.

I suppose I will check the ones you mentioned. I don't mind paying for software that works, but it irritates me when it does not...........
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    Are they Titles or Chapters? 50 titles seems a lot.

Anyway, back to the good ol' WinX DVD Ripper question...
    I downloaded Handbrake. Loaded the DVD movie in my PC's DVD drive
    Took all the default settings (Presets, General, Fast 1080p 30 was already selected)
    Clicked on the DVD Movie in my PC's drive as the source. (My first data entered)
    Software did "scanning title x of 10" took several minutes
    Set up a Destination - new folder c:\handbrake movies on my HDD, named the movie "Our Kind of Traitor" (My second data entered) - Everything else was the program default.
    (Notice it said Chapters 1 through 6, Duration 5:27 - seemed a little odd?)
    Clicked on Start Encode
    Said Encoding, showed variable, FPS - job finished in under 20 seconds.
    Went to output file which was very small (18 mb), just under 5 minutes. It appeared to start not at the beginning of the movie, and obviously was not the entire movie, which plays on my PC from the DVD drive - it's 1hr 48 minutes.

Any ideas? Do I need to make multiple selections and change all sorts of parameters in Handbrake to get the entire movie in one MP4 file? I thought I'd let you know how Handbrake worked before I downloaded the other program for a test run. Thanks for your help.....I suspect I might be missing something obvious.....wouldn't be the first time!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    HELP? ANYBODY?

Sure wish CuCuSoft made their DVD ripper software for Windows 10. It worked well on my previous PC, a Win7 PC. But it had starting giving me an error message, something about "cannot rebuild bridge graph".

Finding it hard to believe I am the only person having difficulties copying a DVD movie with Windows 10.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Give Vidcoder a try.

Although you will likely need to RIP the disc before it can be processed (which is likely the issue with handbrake as well). You can use the free version of DVDFab. RIP the entire disc to your HDD. Then open the ripped folder using Vidcoder (or handbrake again). It should show you the chapters and the run time (as noted above).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you need to shrink the DVD for size consideration? If not then you could use MakeMKV to put the entire disk or just the main movie or titles into a MKV container. Only takes minutes and doesn't alter the quality in anyway http://www.makemkv.com/
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I think you guys all think I'm smarter than I am. <g>

I just want to put the DVD into my PC, open a program that will make a single MP4 file of that movie on my PC. I don't want 50+ little clips or "titles" of the movie - just one large one, from start to finish of the movie.

I am the OP. I finally got WinX DVD to "finish" that on my PC - Took all of SEVEN HOURS and then I had 108 titles (it doubled the 54 titles it initially indicated it would progress. That is worthless for my use and I am requesting a refund from them. I did get a reply from WinX DVD with a suggestion of how to accomplish what I want; that's when I did the progress above that took 7 hours and got my 108 titles.

Size is not a consideration as I presently have a very large capacity HDD to store my movies. We often take long trips and it's easier to take a HDD than it is to take 100+ actual DCDs!

Netmask, your suggestion sounded good, but what is an MKV container? That SOUNDS like what I want to do: Take the main movie and put it into one MP4 file. Is that what the MakeMKV does? I'll do some research on that today if I can....I'm on the other side of the world from you. (TN, USA) - Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
    Give Vidcoder a try.

Although you will likely need to RIP the disc before it can be processed (which is likely the issue with handbrake as well). You can use the free version of DVDFab. RIP the entire disc to your HDD. Then open the ripped folder using Vidcoder (or handbrake again). It should show you the chapters and the run time (as noted above).
    You lost me on terminology. Can you please give me the steps and procedures in more detail. I thought WinxDVD and Handbrake for that matter did what my CuCUSoft DVD to iPod Converter program did - pop the DVD in my PC, open CuCUSoft, select the DVD drive, hit run, and I ended up with one large MP4 file in about 40 minutes. I thought that was "ripping", but I probably have the terms incorrect.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is why I like 'iso's' (container). Movie only, whole dvd, whatever, iso = one file. Mount to 'virtual clone drive', whatever will play a dvd on your computer will play iso images of dvd's, too.
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are two basic steps to what you are trying to do.

1) RIP the disc. This is the process which copies the data from the dvd to the HDD. Most DVD's have some sort of copy protection, so you typically can't just copy the data to the HDD. This is where a program like DVDFab is used. It simply copies the disc to the HDD.

2) You then need to convert the data from DVD format into the format of your chosing (ie: mp4, mkv, avi, etc.). Tools such as Handbrake, Vidcoder, etc. will open the folders of data on your HDD, and then output into the format of your chosing.

The format you choose (ie: mp4, mkv, etc.) will depend on how you intend to use the files. In most cases, this is determined by whatever format is supported by the player that will be used.

There is a basic DVDFab guide here: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-DVDFab (substitute the handbrake instructions for whatever conversion tool you choose)

There is a Vidcoder guide here: http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/VidCoder_Tutorial_page1.html

For that matter, if you buy DVDFab, it has a built-in conversion tool. I own DVDFab, but I've never tested the conversion tool, I use Vidcoder as noted above.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NeedHelp99 View Post
    I think you guys all think I'm smarter than I am. <g>

I just want to put the DVD into my PC, open a program that will make a single MP4 file of that movie on my PC. I don't want 50+ little clips or "titles" of the movie - just one large one, from start to finish of the movie.

I am the OP. I finally got WinX DVD to "finish" that on my PC - Took all of SEVEN HOURS and then I had 108 titles (it doubled the 54 titles it initially indicated it would progress. That is worthless for my use and I am requesting a refund from them. I did get a reply from WinX DVD with a suggestion of how to accomplish what I want; that's when I did the progress above that took 7 hours and got my 108 titles.

Size is not a consideration as I presently have a very large capacity HDD to store my movies. We often take long trips and it's easier to take a HDD than it is to take 100+ actual DCDs!

Netmask, your suggestion sounded good, but what is an MKV container? That SOUNDS like what I want to do: Take the main movie and put it into one MP4 file. Is that what the MakeMKV does? I'll do some research on that today if I can....I'm on the other side of the world from you. (TN, USA) - Thanks
    MKV files are just like MP4 As MakeMKV is free, although you have to update the serial number from the author monthly for the free version, it is easy enough to try and only takes about 10 minutes compared to your 7 hour recode experience. I have ripped all of my DVD and Blu ray discs to mkv to my NAS for playback anywhere in the house of mostly Popcorn media players. Works very well/
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just reiterate it is a normal movie say 2 hours longs that you want as a file? If so MakeMKV will give you the option to select JUST the main movie. It might help if we know the name of the disc just in case it is a strange layout etc...
    Quote Quote