VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm working my way through season 13 of South Park at the moment, but I'm having a bit of trouble.

I've used DVDFab to copy the DVD to my hard drive, because MakeMKV doesn't like it at all, all the titles are the wrong length.
    Once I've copied it, I've used Handbrake to rip, using the bog standard high profile option, with decomb set to bob.

You can see the kind of result I'm getting with SP1. I've tried deinterlace with all the 4 different presets, but it doesn't solve the problem you can see on the books in the background.

Also while I'm asking questions, I could use some help getting the rips smoother.
    You can see in SP2 where it scrolls, it doesn't look very smooth. That clip was copied with MakeMKV then ripped with Handbrake on the settings I mentioned about, high profile with decomb set to bob.

Sorry that I'm a bit cluless to all this.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. How about cutting a short portion from the source? Why would we want to see a result even you admit is messed up?

SP2 isn't bobbed. Did I misunderstand what you wrote? It's full of missing frames and duplicate frames.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you're going to bob also set the frame rate to 59.94. The thin horizontal lines will probably still flicker but at 59.94 Hz it will be less noticeable. The panning shots like in the second video should be as smooth as watching the DVDs.

Instead of bobbing try the Detelecine: Default, and Constant Frame Rate: 23.976 or 29.97. That will probably eliminate the flickering thin lines but you may not get perfectly smooth panning.

Cartoons can be some of the hardest videos to deal with. A lot of programs will mess up with those thin horizontal lines in the background. And often they're a mix of 12 fps, 24 fps, 30 fps, and 60 fps, progressive and interlaced material. Shots are often sped up or slowed down after being telecined. And edited after being telecined leaving orphaned fields. I don't know how much of this you'll find in that particular cartoon. But you may need to resort to processing in AviSynth to get the best out of the files. If you can upload samples of the source, not reencoded, I'll take a look at them. You can use Mpg2Cut2 to load a VOB file, mark a small section, and export it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the replies. I think I've done it right and got a clip of the original.

I'm not going to have a chance to play with the settings till the weekend now, but I'll let you know how it goes.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's been field blended from an NTSC source. Unless you're satisfied with just bobbing it very poorly, Handbrake can't even begin to handle it properly. For that you need AviSynth:

QTGMC()
    SRestore()

And even AviSynth has problems with it because there's so much blending.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The interlacing in the MPG source is already messed up and you won't be able to fix it 100 percent. The easiest thing for you to do is use Bob/50fps in Handbrake -- assuming your playback devices support it (modern devices do). You can get a little less flicker of the thin lines (and clean up some other stuff) using AviSynth -- but it has a steep learning curve.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the help, those settings helped a little bit in Handbrake, wierd thing, I've only got this problem with disc 1.
    Quote Quote