VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to use AVIDEMUX to do a very simple, very specific job:
    1. Open a dvd .ISO file
    2. Trim only the part I want to keep
    3. Copy the trimmed MPG, without reencoding, to a valid MPG file readable by Sony Vegas Pro 13
    It seems AVIDEMUX only gives me 2 options:
    • copy to MPEG-PS, which takes a long time and is maybe re-encoding (can't tell, but it's doing something that takes a lot of time)?
    • or copy to MPEG-TS, which outputs a TS file that my main editor, Sony Vegas, can't open.
    Are there any solutions to this? Or suggestions for other software capable of these simple steps?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So it's a ISO file of a full DVD? If so it would be quicker to open the ISO file, with for example WinRar and extract all the VOB files snf then convert to mpeg, say using https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVDVob2Mpg. Then edit the mpeg the file. The ISO file will of course have all the vob files, bup files and IFO files contained within it.

http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/video/articles/71100.aspx
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    So it's a ISO file of a full DVD? If so it would be quicker to open the ISO file, with for example WinRar and extract all the VOB files snf then convert to mpeg, say using https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVDVob2Mpg. Then edit the mpeg the file. The ISO file will of course have all the vob files, bup files and IFO files contained within it.

http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/video/articles/71100.aspx
    Thanks for the suggestion netmask, however that is a pretty complicated solution. DVDvob2Mpg does a great job extracting MPEG, but on some ISOs the video is split into several VOBs. So now if a clip I want is across different files, I have to join or splice together the VOBs (or the MPEGs) before I can get the full clip. There are a lot of added steps.

There is certainly some software that can accomplish the simple task I want, but most are expensive &/or buggy (see Video Re-Maker). If AVIDemux can do the job, it seems like it would be ideal. I just don't know whether it can or not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by byslexic View Post
    [*]copy to MPEG-PS, which takes a long time and is maybe re-encoding (can't tell, but it's doing something that takes a lot of time)?
    If you cut on Key Frames only, this is the option you need. If it takes a long time then it is re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    [*]copy to MPEG-PS, which takes a long time and is maybe re-encoding (can't tell, but it's doing something that takes a lot of time)?
    If you cut on Key Frames only, this is the option you need. If it takes a long time then it is re-encoding.
    Thank you hech, This is what's been confusing me a bit.
    If I am careful and cut on keyframes only, it takes about a minute to save a 15-min segment in Mpeg-PS.
    If I save the same segment to Mpeg-TS, it takes about 3 seconds.

I know that even at under-a-minute, it's probably not reencoding in PS that fast, but it's clearly doing a lot more than when I save as TS. Does anyone know why?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If I am careful and cut on keyframes only, it takes about a minute to save a 15-min segment in Mpeg-PS.
    I minute is not bad at all, especially for my old computer with XP Pro. I thought you were talking HOURS for it to "COPY".
    Check the audio copy too just in case.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestion netmask, however that is a pretty complicated solution. DVDvob2Mpg does a great job extracting MPEG, but on some ISOs the video is split into several VOBs. So now if a clip I want is across different files, I have to join or splice together the VOBs (or the MPEGs) before I can get the full clip. There are a lot of added steps.

There is certainly some software that can accomplish the simple task I want, but most are expensive &/or buggy (see Video Re-Maker). If AVIDemux can do the job, it seems like it would be ideal. I just don't know whether it can or not.
    You can use DVDFab Virtual Drive to mount the DVD ISO, then use VOB2MPG (free version) in IFO mode to convert the DVD files on the virtual drive to mpg. Apparently VOB2MPG doesn't get along with Windows 10 without help, but there is a way to make it work: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/376694-Instructions-for-Running-on-Windows-10.

[Edit]VOB2MPG in IFO mode extracts the complete movie or complete episode even if it spans more than one VOB.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Oct 2016 at 13:35.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I minute is not bad at all, especially for my old computer with XP Pro. I thought you were talking HOURS for it to "COPY".
    Check the audio copy too just in case.
    Checked Audio is set to Copy as well.
    --- No, 1 minute is not bad using Mpeg-PS, except I have several dozen files of 1 -2 hours each - if it takes me 5-8 minutes per file, that's several hours of encoding/copying.
    Using Mpeg-TS, that would be several minutes.
    Why is Mpeg-PS taking so much longer than Mpeg-TS?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=usually_quiet;2464254]

You can use DVDFab Virtual Drive to mount the DVD ISO, then use VOB2MPG (free version) in IFO mode to convert the DVD files on the virtual drive to mpg. Apparently VOB2MPG doesn't get along with Windows 10 without help, but there is a way to make it work: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/376694-Instructions-for-Running-on-Windows-10.

[Edit]VOB2MPG in IFO mode extracts the complete movie or complete episode even if it spans more than one VOB.
    Thank usually_quiet, I'm sure that's a possible solution, but again, it's way more complicated than needed. AVIDemux says it can do what I'm asking - I'm still trying to figure out exactly how.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Open the ISO in a virtual drive as outlined, load as many VOBs as needed into MPG2Cut2 , isolate the part you want using the [ and ] buttons and save as MPG. No reencoding, only cutting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I use XP Pro and an antique version of AviDemux. I use it quite often. Don't know what to tell ya'......other than
    stop yer bitchen, get back in the kitchen.....you would have been done(with this video cutting) by now.
    Ugly truth man....your bitching about free software.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Open the ISO in a virtual drive as outlined, load as many VOBs as needed into MPG2Cut2 , isolate the part you want using the [ and ] buttons and save as MPG. No reencoding, only cutting.
    Thanks manono, I'll investigate it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use XP Pro and an antique version of AviDemux. I use it quite often. Don't know what to tell ya'......other than
    stop yer bitchen, get back in the kitchen.....you would have been done(with this video cutting) by now.
    Ugly truth man....your bitching about free software.
    Hech, I'm not complaining. I'm trying to understand the difference between the PS and TS output, so I don't waste my time with one when I needed the other. So far, nobody knows what the difference is, although there clearly is one. Seems I'll have to start a new thread.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have this little post-it note here above my monitor that is YEARS old.....it says "AviDemux = MPEG-PS"....as reminder to use the "PS" option. Same as you, a program stream worked better in some other software than a transport stream. Long since forgotten which "next step" software required PS.
    AviDemux is still the ONLY software I know of that can accurately replace and adjust (shift) audio when replacing audio in a video file....all with ZERO re-encoding.
    Can't beat that with a stick.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Thank usually_quiet, I'm sure that's a possible solution, but again, it's way more complicated than needed. AVIDemux says it can do what I'm asking - I'm still trying to figure out exactly how.
    You are mistaken in assuming that AVIDemux can do all that needs to be done. You need to join the VOBs into an mpg before editing using a program designed to do that. There is something you don't realize, namely adjoining VOBs in the same VTS don't always end and start with a complete GOP. This means that when a video spans VOBs, some frames can be lost when joining two VOBs inside an editor, even though you have added them in the correct order.

Editors cannot know that the VOBs are related, and the incomplete GOP at the end of one GOP and the incomplete GOP at the beginning of the next VOB are two parts of the same GOP. They will treat them as unrelated files with incomplete GOPs, and will discard the incomplete GOP at the start of the second VOB. They may also discard a couple of B-frames at the end of the preceding VOB's incomplete GOP.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Spanned Video VTS_01_1 and VTS_01_2.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	39075  

Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Oct 2016 at 16:21. Reason: typed the wrong acronym added screenshot showing what I mean
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to see what happens when AVIDemux is used to import VOBs and export ps or ts files. I didn't find that exporting the edited output as a DVD-compatible ps (allowing non-compliant streams) or as a ts (with VBR muxing) takes an unreasonable amount of time compared to other editors I use. I also confirmed that if using "Copy" for both audio and video, the video isn't re-encoded, and the audio seems identical to the original AC3 too. Using the same priority, exporting as ps or as ts took about the same amount of time. I have no explanation as to why there is little difference in processing time for my computer and not yours.

I was surprised to find that AVIDemux does provide a way to correctly join video spanning multiple VOBs with no missing frames. The first time a user opens a VOB in a VTS, AVIDemux asks: "There are several files with sequential names. Should they all be loaded?" If the answer is "Yes", the VOB and all the VOBs following it in the VTS are loaded into the editor, joined together in sequential order. Unfortunately this only works on DVD files and folders on an HDD. It doesn't work for ISOs mounted on a virtual drive or actual DVD discs. In those two cases, AVIDemux cannot write the idx file in the same folder as the VOBs, and I can't find a way to change the location where AVIDemux writes the idx file.

[Edit] I suspect VOB2MPG is a better option because it uses the VTS IFO as a guide for processing, which might be advantageous for some commercial DVDs.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Oct 2016 at 01:57.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

[Edit] I suspect VOB2MPG is a better option because it uses the VTS IFO as a guide for processing, which might be advantageous for some commercial DVDs.
    When it comes to taking straight from a VIDEO_TS folder....I never use AviDemux for that. There are better tools made specifically for that job....VOB2MPG
    is definitely more trustworthy for this job.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by usually_childish View Post
    Ignore list: hello_hello
    I'm wondering, can you call it a list when there's only one name on it?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/list
    List:
    1. A series of names, words, or other items written, printed, or imagined one after the other: a shopping list; a guest list; a list of things to do.
    2. A considerable number; a long series: recited a list of dates memorized.
    Quote Quote