VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. Sorry if this is a wrong question to ask here but anyway. I have been searching for some movies on torrent sites and most of them are dvdrip movies but the problem with them is that all of them have some random resolutions (like 720x304 and so on) when the dvd standard is 720x480 or 720x576p. If it's a dvdrip it's a copy of the dvd so why is that? also most of them have aspect ratios like 2.35:1 and again on dvd its 1:85 ? The only pal torrents i found are dead and obsolete
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    They are just cropping the black borders.

Just buy your movies instead.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ye but what for? just to make the file smaller or are the dvd movies they copy already in 2.35:1? I can buy the movie but i'm not sure if its gonna have those black bars or are they all in 1.85
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The days the term 'DVDRip' goes beyond the simple copy of the original disk contents and is used to mean the re-encoding and cropping of the video content to its original display aspect ratio not the storage ratio which is either 720*480(NTSC) or 720*576(PAL).

And since you are talking about torrents that is all you will get here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. By original aspect ratio you mean in which the movie was recorded in? So just one more question if i buy a dvd movie it will be in 16:9 PAL? Or is it gonna have those annoying bars too
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lukasz12054 View Post
    By original aspect ratio you mean in which the movie was recorded in? So just one more question if i buy a dvd movie it will be in 16:9 PAL? Or is it gonna have those annoying bars too
    Yes, the AR with which it was released in the theaters.
    Yes, it will have letterboxing --- except if it has gone through "pan and scan":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_and_scan
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on the original DVD, which most likely would be 720 X 480 NTSC or 720 x 576 PAL.
    More info about DVD formats to the upper left on this page in 'WHAT IS' DVD.

And any questions concerning help with warez can get you permanently banned.
    Please read our rules before posting.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  8. Damn. I bought FNF7 and Heat and they both are in 2.40:1. Seems like it's like that in some productions or are there different versions? Or there is only one. One more question how do they do it on the TV? I mean every movie there is widescreen there, even these in 2.40. Is there any program to edit the AR or what?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Different tv stations have their own reasoning about Aspect Ratio.

I have a pet hate when a movie or even a tv series that was originally shot and broadcast for non-ws sets but is now broadcast as ws on ws-screen tvs. That inevitavbly means that the picture is cropped to fit. Jeez. They even often do that for dvds/blu rays when the original AR was not even close to 16:9. So you do not get the full picture.

In fact was you appear to be suggesting is to destroy the AR that the director intended and crop away some of the image. Or if that movie is 2.40:1 and you simply edit that to 16:9 with the full picture you end up with tall/thin bodies. Surely you do not want that ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of movies made since 1990 are viewed far FAR more often on home video than in theaters, Hollywood persists in the fantasy that it is still 1950 and all they need to do to attract more people to theaters is make movies in ever-wider ribbon-sized formats that can't be properly displayed on a TV or computer screen. There is NOTHING you can do about this that doesn't involve messing with the original framing in some way that either distorts it or cuts parts of it out. This skinny framing with black top and bottom borders is exactly how the movie was shown in theaters, its just you notice it more on home displays because of our compulsive need to "fill the screen completely."

An astonishing number of people get really OCD and furious on this point: they obsess over the notion ""I paid for this 16:9 screen and I *demand* it be completely filled with no black bars: black bars are a waste of my screen real estate and a crime against humanity!!!" Well, they need to just get over it: Hollywood movies have alternated between a half dozen wide and wider framing concepts for the past 60 years. There is no such thing as a 16:9 movie: that TV screen format was chosen as the best compromise between sane, consistent television show production and all the variable movie formats. A large percentage of recent movie production has settled into a format that fits 16:9 with minimal cropping or black bars, but most of the big blockbuster movies will continue to be shot in a format that gives a ribbon-like picture with black bars even on a 50" HDTV. Its how Hollywood sends us a subliminal psychological motivation to see these films in a theater to get the maximum impact. (Yes, some TV channels do reframe 2.40 to fit 16:9, but these customized TV versions are never sold to the public: you need to create them yourself or record them from that channel.)

Things were much worse with the older, squarer 4:3 televisions and computer screens: they were limited in size, so very-widescreen movies were either cropped severely or the black bars took up nearly half the screen area. Today, anybody can afford a huge screen if they want one badly enough, and the 16:9 standard is much more adaptable to wider formats. If black bars irk you, the best thing to do is get a bigger screen so that the "ribbon of video" reaches a size you are comfortable viewing. It is unlikely we will ever see superwide home screens that match the widest Hollywood movies perfectly, because that would just shift the black bars from top and bottom to the sides (all TV shows and many many less-wide movies would end up having bars on either side if the screen is wider than they are).
    Last edited by orsetto; 22nd Sep 2016 at 14:48.
    Quote Quote  
  11. But let me get this straight: even those custom TV versions do not show more details as they are just stretched movies which were originally recorded in 2.40:1?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No.

Look up the term 'Pan & Scan' as refered to earlier in the topic. Done effectively, the scan will pan across the frame to show the highlighted action. Done not so well and the scan is fixed in the center of the frame. That is often sufficient if there is little detail on the frame's edges but the director chose the wider image and that is what he would prefer you saw.

Pan and scan was more relevant on older CRT displays which had a much narrower image. And I well recall a western shot in ws with a fixed image. Two actors on either far side talking to each other yet the broadcast just showed the empty middle area.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Sure but what i meant that they don't show more of the world than the 2.40:1 one
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not really understand what you are asking right now.

No tv station worth its salt would alter the AR of a 2.40:1 movie to 16:9 just to fit the entire picture on a standard ws tv thus distorting the picture. In the very early days od 16:9 CRT displays (analogue) some programs were shown as ws from non-ws source and the picture was stretched on the horizontal. It did not look good. These days they either crop (lose detail top and bottom) or show at original AR and you get the sidebars which some people also detest.

If a 2.40:1 movie is shown fitting a 16:9 screen then they are either cropping or pan & scanning - fixed pan & scan is effectively the same as cropping.

Of course if you really detest those black bars caused by 2.40:1 (or anything else that is not 16:9) on 16:9 you can always use the image controls on your tv to zoom in which effectively crops the image to fit. Zooming does not alter the AR.
    Quote Quote  
  15. alright thanks a lot for your answers
    Quote Quote