VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I apolgize in advance for asking what it probably a very simple thing that's been discussed many times, but I am so new and confused with all the jargon/etc that I don't even know what to look for - or ask about.

I have a fair-size collection of movies on DVD, and we are getting ready to travel full-time in our rv. Obviously, there won't be enough storage room for several packing boxes of DVD's, but I'd like to take my favorites with me. It was suggested that I could use a program to convert/compress (or somehow magically-change) and store the dvd content onto a big hard drive, and play that thru my pc or tv. Learned right quick that it ain't as easy as it sounded. So I downloaded and tried several programs that sounded like what i wanted to do, but didn't even come close in most cases. Some just put the full content on the HDD, some didn't do anything, some lost the audio or lost sync, and so on. And I don't know what or why.

What I'm after is something that will simply (important word here) take a dvd and squish it to fit in a reasonable space on the HDD. I'd like to save the extra content (intros, etc) but it's not imperative, and don't need extra languages, trailers, etc.

Can someone point me towards either a tutorial, or suggest a program that does what I envision (and free is always good, but not required).

Disclaimer:
    I'm sure I made it sufficiently clear that I am lost, so please don't pile-on me (I am admitting my ignorance). I'm not asking for others to do my research - I just don't even know where to start.

Thanks!
    Last edited by dogdad; 30th Aug 2016 at 12:23.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can do this in a number of different ways. One free could be:

Your DVD's are most likely copy protected so the first step could be to make a copy on your HDD without copy protection using DVDFab HD Decrypter.

Next use HandBrake. Click on "Source" and select "Folder" and choose the folder of your HDD copy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HB1.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	38356

In case your DVD has more than one video /Title) on it your choose which to convert/compress.

Name:	HB2.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	38357

And then coose your "Destination" and press "Start".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ah-ha! Progress! Well, anything is progress for me. Thanks, videobruger, for the heads-up with Handbrake.

As we speak, I'm trying it out with a sample dvd, and using AnyDVD to remove the copyr stuff. Gettin' excited.

One question (of many, to be sure): how do I pick ... or how does the program pick ... which of the VOB's are the one I want? And why so many on a disc? Previewing them in VLC they all look the same. And of the ones I played with last nite, none had audio with them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. which of the VOB's are the one I want?
    You don't select VOB. You select the folder VIDEO_TS (or it's parent folder) (see above).

On a DVD the max size of a file is 1 GB. Hence it's necessary to split it on several files.

And of the ones I played with last nite, none had audio with them?
    If you have problems like that use MediaInfo (View -> Text) and copy/paste the result to a post.

Name:	MI.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	38358

PS And normally you don't play individual VOB's. With VLC open VIDEO_TS.IFO or drop the folder VIDEO_ts on it. Also for VLC you might want to untick "Start directly in menu"

Name:	VLCDVDMenu.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	38359
    Last edited by videobruger; 30th Aug 2016 at 13:55. Reason: PS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks to you videobruger, I worked with Handbrake for several hours last nite, and managed to get a dvd onto my hdd - and it worked! I started with a 4G movie and squished it down to just over 400M, and didn't see any loss of quality to speak of.

The movie had a bunch of 1.048G VOB's, some of which were parts of the movie and some were like the 'intro-splash' graphics (when I looked at them individually with VLC). I tried to get everything into handbrake, but it refused to do some - which turned out to be just misc stuff when I looked at them separately. How does it know which VOBs are actual movie content and which are not?

Anyways, thanks again for getting me started!

Quote Quote  
  6. The file VIDEO_TS.IFO (InFO) in the VIDEO_TS folder holds information for the whole DVD.

Depending on the content of the DVD (TV Episodes) in can be in different Video TitleSet (VTS)

For each VTS there's an .IFO file for that VTS, eg VTS_01_0.IFO.
    Quote Quote