VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    By complete chance while looking for an answer for someone on Reddit, I visited an Asian movie seller and decided to check if there was anything new ('80's movies) from my favorite Taiwanese actress, Joey Wong Jyo Yin/Wang Tsu Hsien. To my shock, there was a DVD and Blu-Ray release of Gift From Heaven that I've only owned on VCD for the past 25 years! I saw a VHS copy one or twice, and I think I saw the Laserdisc on eBay once.

There's still [Edit: three] movies that AFAIK, have never been released on DVD or Blu-Ray (but I have VHS and a Laserdisc copy of), and hopefully it won't be another 25 years before they are! Of course I've ordered the Blu-Ray and though I suspect it won't be high quality (i.e. not remastered), it will be far above my VCDs.

TL;DR - My point is, that while it may be worthwhile to spend the time and money to try and wring the last bit of quality from that VHS or Laserdisc release, constant patient searching worldwide may fulfill that quest for movies that "Have never been re-released."
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hopefully it will be something more than a transfer from the VCD or VHS. This is, unfortunately, pretty common with material that is not too popular.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, it's pretty obscure. I've been a fan of Joey's for going on 30 years and for a long time I wasn't even sure if this was a real film or not because of title mistranslations from Chinese to English.

If it's at least Laserdisc quality, I'll be happy. It will at least be an upgrade what I have.
    Quote Quote