VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11
FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    Does anyone know why my tv would ignore PAR flag in h264 mpg file when playing file directly off USB hard drive? TV is a current model smart tv. Also are these the results I can expect on most current TVs when playing these files off a hard drive?

The only way I’ve been able to get the files to play in correct AR is converting to 720x540 1:1 which I understand may introduce more of a possibility of issues. If I leave it on source 720x480 with rectangle pixels the video on my tv is stretched slightly too wide as a result of ignoring the flag.

All files play correctly on computer (VLC, QuickTime).

What container ? Sometimes a certain container causes problems in some TV models. If MP4 try remuxing to MKV or vice-versa

Also, officially it's the SAR (sample aspect ratio) flag when using h264 . PAR has been renamed to SAR in mpeg4-avc terminology

Did you set SAR only, or did you mess with container AR signalling ? Sometimes having both types of information at the same time can cause conflicting problems

On the other hand, certain players (hardware or software) might have preference where container AR signal overrides video stream AR signal or vice versa . But in general, stream signalling is best because if you remux, that info is retained
    Quote Quote  
  2. celsoac
    working with these kind of videos, this noisy madness, you just denoise it first before posting on YouTube, you can use NeatVideo or whatever you have, you do it in NLE, I use Vegas, btw. SD resolution Neat Video I got it a time ago, it was cheaper than HD version. It is sort of must, if you do not want to fiddle manually elsewhere (VD, Avisynth, Vapoursynth) and for deinterlacing as a bonus using QTGMC, crop to 704x576, mask broken lines top and bottom. Then upscale to 1280x960 or any other 4:3.

if you feel video is too "plasticky" after denoise, just reduce denoising for Y channel, 50%, not 65% or whatever you feel. This is after denoise, QTGMC, crop and addBorders(masking lines), just before 4:3 resize, still in in 704x576, 50fps:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Originally Posted by celsoac View Post
    PS: I have to say that I've read a Wikipedia article on SAR / DAR / PAR, as your original postings on the issue were undecipherable.
    I don't see how. I break it down quite easily.
    Sorry, I didn't understand you, but I did understand Wikipedia quite easily. Am I to blame? You may know a lot, but perhaps you don't have the best style conveying your knowledge to help people.

Upsizing PAL to 768 is equally a bad idea. 720x540 is much better, almost 1:1 to the x576, the loss of 36 pixels is meaningless. While adding 44 can create problems.
    I really don't know why this should be so. All software I've tried gives you the option to upscale to 768x572 to obtain 4:3 DAR, but not to downscale to 720x540. I would think that maintaining the vertical, "fixed" dimension (576 horizontal lines in PAL, 480 in NTSC) would screw things less than adding a few pixels by interpolation. Just an argument: 36 pixels out of 576 is 6.25 % of pixels lost, while 44 out of 720 is 6.11% pixels added.

In general, adding/reducing horizontal pixels is fine. Adding/reducing the vertical starts to screw with source resolution, aliasing, and interlace (even when deinterlaced). Best avoided when possible. SD>HD (for documentaries) has challenges, one of the few valid reasons for upscaling content.
    Well, I don't know if this is related or not to your argument about "reducing or adding pixels", but I've done the following: a loop conversion, back-and-forth, of an original 576p file (deinterlaced for the test) up to 720p and then back down to 576p, up to 6 generations in each size (so, 12 conversions in total). All conversions are FCP Uncompressed 10 bits, lossless. By the 6th generation, you can clearly see that the back-and-forth conversion by a factor of 1.25 (720/576) or 0.8 (576/720) has taken its toll. I suppose I don't need to upload captured frames. That's the reason why I do not "upscale" a 576p file to 720p for YouTube: I keep it at 576p with black borders.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    celsoac
    working with these kind of videos, this noisy madness, you just denoise it first before posting on YouTube, you can use NeatVideo or whatever you have, you do it in NLE, I use Vegas, btw. SD resolution Neat Video I got it a time ago, it was cheaper than HD version. It is sort of must, if you do not want to fiddle manually elsewhere (VD, Avisynth, Vapoursynth) and for deinterlacing as a bonus using QTGMC, crop to 704x576, mask broken lines top and bottom. Then upscale to 1280x960 or any other 4:3.

if you feel video is too "plasticky" after denoise, just reduce denoising for Y channel, 50%, not 65% or whatever you feel. This is after denoise, QTGMC, crop and addBorders(masking lines), just before 4:3 resize, still in in 704x576, 50fps:
    Thank you very much for the advice. I really don't denoise because the conversion to MP4 already flattens colors and nuances quite a bit. Then, the YouTube conversion is shitty, already quite "plasticky", even if I upload a ProRes .MOV .

As to upscaling, I would thing that upscaling by a ratio other than 2, 3, etc., would worsen the file even more, so I keep the original 576p inside a 960x720p frame, with a 72-pixel black border up and down, and a 96-pixel black border on left and right sides.

PS: That pretty good quality what you got there, though I encode my MP4s/H.264 at 6000 Kbps - 8000 Kbps and you only used 2800 Kbps. Now, I don't understand why 704 x 576 if the DV source was 720. I also don't like much 50fps, since the vertical resolution of each frame is just 288 times 2 (and the image wiggles a little). I cannot see how any software can invent 288 horizontal lines if it's not by duplicating them, so for that I'd rather blend the two fields.

Also, if dealing with 24fps film (not the case) converting it to 50fps or 60fps is just killing it -- it horribly looks like video.
    Last edited by celsoac; 21st Apr 2019 at 14:29.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Do you presume it looks terrible, or have you downloaded and watched the fragments I uploaded?
    I downloaded the videos and looked at them. First of all you encoded a video with hardly any movement. So the worst effects of a blend deinterlace aren't shown. But here's an example, frame 23 from your JES 2YUV:

[Attachment 48763 - Click to enlarge]

Notice how the lower edge of the knife blade is badly aliased. At normal playback speeds edges like that "buzz". The black blob just below the knife edge/tip is fuzzy and indistinct. That's because it's a blend of two different fields. Here it looks a bit like motion blur because the motion was small. But with larger motions it would look like a double exposure.

Here's the result from QTGMC(sharpness=0.7) in AviSynth (frame 47 after QTGMC):

[Attachment 48764 - Click to enlarge]

The knife edge is smooth and sharp. The blob below the knife is much sharper. For reference, here's the QTGMC result of the prior field (frame 46 after QTGMC) that was blended in the JES deinterlace (your blend deinterlace is a blend of these two fields):

[Attachment 48765 - Click to enlarge]

Beyond those types of problems, your video only has half the motion smoothness (25p) of the original video (25i, 50 fields per second). QTCMC produces a 50p video by default, keeping all the motion smoothness of the original. 25p is jerky and flickers when motions get larger.

And regarding the quality of the DV capture, the video has pretty poor horizontal time base. Scanlines of the picture wiggle erratically to the left and right with each field. You need a line TBC to stabilize that. And your VHS deck is badly oversharpening horizontally, creating halos around sharp vertical high contrast edges.
    Well, this is really helpful, thank you very much, as I have a visual basis to compare, instead of just words. It is clear that deinterlacing by QTGMC is better than JES Deinterlacer, yes. But I wasn't thinking of producing 50fps output; I was comparing methods for blending 25i into 25p. Yes, of course, 25p from a 25i source yields ghosty frames where there is movement. But 50p reduces vertical quality, doesn't it? -- there are only 288 horizontal lines to a PAL field. All field-drop deinterlacing methods I tried were shitty. Now, what you show me is quite good, so that's an option too: keeping the DV file for storage, and converting it to 50p for upload.
    Quote Quote  
  6. for that dv sample in Vapoursynth I used: clip = core.std.SeparateFields(clip)
    to see if there are fields, and it was there, so I used QTGMC, sure if it is not interlaced footage you'd not deinterlace. I know it could be kind of a bit disturbing for our brain, it kind of makes no sense , it is "super fluid" but crappy video with no resolution, ..... you video, your choice.

True 4:3 is within 704x576, not 720x576. Footage as you provided most likely. Those black borders are a giveaway, there is something even on top and bottom, so footage might be even slightly zoomed in, whatever broadcasters did, but those black borders left and right are more than 16 which I did not crop entirely, just total 16, so AR is more likely closer to the original if you cut 16 total from left and right and resize to 4:3

when noise is gone, bitrate goes drastically down,
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Do you presume it looks terrible, or have you downloaded and watched the fragments I uploaded? Because, in fact, the blended version looks better to me: in the DV version, sometimes you see the lines/fields, as is common in any interlaced source.
    But compared to other higher quality deinterlacers it looks bad

Blend deinterlacing quality is poor. In general, it's the worst choice. Because you are combining 2 fields into 1 - you have both ghosting (double image), and aliasing artifacts (jaggy lines, marching ants), with 1/2 the motion samples (choppy motion) . You are essentially throwing away 50% of the information right off the bat; youtube supports 50p for many years now for 720p or higher

Contrast is increased too much - levels blown out - reduced highlight, shadow details . It's unclear if jes did that, or something else in your process

Here is a comparison (1:1 , not AR corrected) as an apng (safari, firefox, chrome should support it)

CLICK to open apng
    [Attachment 48766 - Click to enlarge]

-blown out shirt collar details
    -aliasing jaggy lines around the collar, and eye lids.
    -missing hair detail from aliasing
    -blurry suit and microphone (ghosted image) , and if you had real motion (e.g. sports) it would look even worse .

Your specific sample has timebase errors, jitter field issues. Blending the errors between fields helps by by averaging them out, but at the expense of motion smoothness, aliasing, blurry ghosting.
    Thank you for taking the time to make the file and explain issues. Yes, the source itself is not good. Again, I am not a professional videomaker.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Do you guys typically crop off the bottom to get rid of the lines on vhs captures if final destination is TV? I don’t know if new TVs still have overscan or to what degree but my files still show the lines on my tv. If so how do you handle with regards to DAR SAR etc .. to keep things at standard resolution?

Lordsmurf- regarding the 640x480 1:1 from DV, is that the best option to keep things universal to work on all players? (Especially when talking about an entire collection of videos, not just one or two.) Any drawbacks? The tv stretching the 720x480 ignoring the flag wasn’t even all that bad and I was also wondering if anyone finds the slight stretching due to “stupid” TVs at all acceptable these days or even noticeable from an untrained eye. Anyone that does this professionally for clients who want final files on a hard drive, what is the norm when you don’t know what they will be played on?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    Does anyone know why my tv would ignore PAR flag in h264 mpg file when playing file directly off USB hard drive? TV is a current model smart tv. Also are these the results I can expect on most current TVs when playing these files off a hard drive?

The only way I’ve been able to get the files to play in correct AR is converting to 720x540 1:1 which I understand may introduce more of a possibility of issues. If I leave it on source 720x480 with rectangle pixels the video on my tv is stretched slightly too wide as a result of ignoring the flag.

All files play correctly on computer (VLC, QuickTime).
    Christina, that has never happened to me. Would you upload a fragment of the file somewhere? Or, could you open it with Subler, and capture the "Visual Settings" screen? (click once on Video Track).

-celso
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    Do you guys typically crop off the bottom to get rid of the lines on vhs captures
    Always mask, never crop. Cropping introduces resize noise/aliasing/etc.

I don’t know if new TVs still have overscan or to what degree but my files still show the lines on my tv.
    HDTVs have overscan. But again, devices do whatever they want, and sometimes it's assumed that MP4 was cropped. Other devices don't make that assumption, so you'd end up losing more video on display if cropping. Some give you a choice in how much overscan is used.

Lordsmurf- regarding the 640x480 1:1 from DV, is that the best option to keep things universal to work on all players?
    Given your source, yes, 640x480.

anyone finds the slight stretching due to “stupid” TVs at all acceptable these days or even noticeable from an untrained eye. Anyone that does this professionally for clients who want final files on a hard drive, what is the norm when you don’t know what they will be played on?
    Never. Batman becomes Fatman. Everybody notices, trained eyes not needed. You know full well when an image gives you 1/3rd more width (fat) than you really are. It gives new meaning to "I look fat in that picture".

Well, this is really helpful, thank you very much, as I have a visual basis to compare, instead of just words. It is clear that deinterlacing by QTGMC is better than JES Deinterlacer, yes. But I wasn't thinking of producing 50fps output; I was comparing methods for blending 25i into 25p. Yes, of course, 25p from a 25i source yields ghosty frames where there is movement. But 50p reduces vertical quality, doesn't it? -- there are only 288 horizontal lines to a PAL field. All field-drop deinterlacing methods I tried were shitty. Now, what you show me is quite good, so that's an option too: keeping the DV file for storage, and converting it to 50p for upload.
    You can decimate 50>25 with QTGMC (ie, remove half the frames, odd or even), and it still looks much better than a blended mess. However, QTGMC requires Windows (Avisynth), but even Yadif is better (available in Avidemux for Mac/Linux/Windows).

Always keep master archives, best quality, encode copies in lower quality.

But you still have massive timing issues to worry about. You encodes are literally about 10% of the true quality that can be gotten from a VHS tape. All it takes is quality hardware and methodology. You can do it, too! But you have to listen to us, not argue. You may not be a professional, or even serious hobbyist, but some of us are. But it does take some time and funds.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    You can decimate 50>25 with QTGMC (ie, remove half the frames, odd or even), and it still looks much better than a blended mess. However, QTGMC requires Windows (Avisynth), but even Yadif is better (available in Avidemux for Mac/Linux/Windows).
    I'm experimenting with it. Avidemux for Mac does not open DV. It says "Cannot find a demuxer". I have to open it with QuickTime and save it again (no recoding, just change of container). Yet one more step, then. If anybody knows how to make Avidemux open DV directly, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. QTGMC is available under mac using vapoursynth, but the learning curve is steep, more so than avisynth

I think selur's hybrid might be an option as a GUI (mac/linux/pc versions) . I think the windows version can run both avs/vpy variants, I think the mac version has the vpy variant (not sure)

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Hybrid
    Quote Quote  
  13. I took my portable Hard drive to someone else’s house today to test how my mp4s play (quality, aspect ratio etc) and on one TV (Samsung, a few years old) the media player on the TV didn’t recognize the device and the other Tv didn’t even have a USB port. I have one of those media player devices that plugs into TV with HDMI (the hard drive plugs into the device), but I forgot the remote so I couldn’t try.

This is probably a question for another thread but since I feel like I know you all by now, might as well ask... what is a good method to save/store/share a collection of converted home videos between family members that will work across devices? Are people still using DVDs?

I believe I formatted my drive NTFS and it’s a western digital elements 2TB, figured this would be the most universally friendly option.
    Last edited by Christina; 21st Apr 2019 at 20:21. Reason: Brain fart. Corrected “NTSC” to “NTFS”
    Quote Quote  
  14. That Hybrid is a good tip for Mac. It designs a script for you and also under its hood deals with audio and muxes it for you. Vapoursynth does not handle audio like Avisynth does.
    Vapoursynth script I used to get that 704x576 mkv from 720x576 1-Test.dv:
    Code:
    import vapoursynth as vs
    from vapoursynth import core
    import havsfunc
    clip = core.ffms2.Source(1-Test.dv)
    clip = core.std.SetFrameProp(clip, prop="_FieldBased", intval=1) #intval=1 for bff
    clip = havsfunc.QTGMC(clip, Preset='Slower',  TFF=False)
    clip  = core.std.Crop(clip, left=4 , right=12, top=4, bottom=4)
    clip  = core.std.AddBorders(clip, left=0 , right=0,   top=4, bottom=4)
    clip.set_output()
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    NTSC is not a filesystem that you format, it's a a Tv format/spec that you design/encode for. I think what you meant was NTFS. That may be better performance-wise for you individually, but it is not the most cross-platform, common denominator. That would be FAT/FAT32. On devices like tvs, even exFAT is more common. Remember, NTFS is proprietary to Microsoft.
    If you plan to share files, it is best to be aware of the various devices' limitations beforehand so you can either come with a mutually-acceptable, common denominator set of formats, or you break it up into multiple groups of formats where one works optimally on players A,B,C and another works optimally on C,D,E.
    That is one good reason for continuing to use formats like DVD, Bluray - they are meant to be universally acceptable for their players. I wrote about this very thing a few years back when I mentioned how it would be a bit "Wild West" for many "general media" file players.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 21st Apr 2019 at 18:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Duplicate
    Quote Quote  
  17. Haha.. oops. Yes, of course I meant NTFS!! Multitasking during Easter festivities at its finest.

Ok, thank you. I will confirm which format I used when I’m back in front of computer.

I figured DVDs were sort of becoming a thing of the past and I’m surprised there aren’t more devices on the market for sharing personal media - I guess everything these days is YouTube, smart phones, and social media for a lot of people.

This is what I bought to try out, which takes the guesswork out but I swear it does something to the quality on playback.

Micca MPLAY-HD Mini 1080P Full-HD Digital Media Player for USB Drives and SD Cards https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074DKYT74/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.zrVCb0Q9XP6B
    Last edited by Christina; 21st Apr 2019 at 20:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't know the specs or ruggedness or quality, but it does look like a cute little player. Too bad you didn't have the remote as that probably would have been a good solution.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  19. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    I took my portable Hard drive to someone else’s house today to test how my mp4s play (quality, aspect ratio etc) and on one TV (Samsung, a few years old) the media player on the TV didn’t recognize the device and the other Tv didn’t even have a USB port. I have one of those media player devices that plugs into TV with HDMI (the hard drive plugs into the device), but I forgot the remote so I couldn’t try.

This is probably a question for another thread but since I feel like I know you all by now, might as well ask... what is a good method to save/store/share a collection of converted home videos between family members that will work across devices? Are people still using DVDs?

I believe I formatted my drive NTFS and it’s a western digital elements 2TB, figured this would be the most universally friendly option.
    It depends on how much effort your friends/relatives are putting into watching your shared videos and what equipment they own, The trend now is just post them on youtube with a private link that you share with them so they can watch them with any device, this is the most convenient way. I don't think DVD is a good option now since you would have to buy the blank media, convert to mpeg-2, author to DVD and burn the damn disc and few months later it will get lost or buried in the junk anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by celsoac View Post
    But 50p reduces vertical quality, doesn't it?
    No, blending fields reduces vertical quality. Better deinterlacers keep both fields in parts of the frame where there is no motion (and that's were you are most likely to see the details). In parts of the frame where there is motion there are many ways of reconstructing the missing field, some better than others. QTGMC uses motion prediction from adjacent fields to intelligently fill in the missing data, followed by some "cleanup" to reduce residual artifacts. It's the best deinterlacer by far for most material. It's main drawback is it's speed -- it's very slow.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    That Hybrid is a good tip for Mac. It designs a script for you and also under its hood deals with audio and muxes it for you. Vapoursynth does not handle audio like Avisynth does.
    Vapoursynth script I used to get that 704x576 mkv from 720x576 1-Test.dv:
    Code:
    import vapoursynth as vs
    from vapoursynth import core
    import havsfunc
    clip = core.ffms2.Source(1-Test.dv)
    clip = core.std.SetFrameProp(clip, prop="_FieldBased", intval=1) #intval=1 for bff
    clip = havsfunc.QTGMC(clip, Preset='Slower',  TFF=False)
    clip  = core.std.Crop(clip, left=4 , right=12, top=4, bottom=4)
    clip  = core.std.AddBorders(clip, left=0 , right=0,   top=4, bottom=4)
    clip.set_output()

Thank you. I've installed Hybrid and Vapoursynth in my Mac (Mojave). Yes, the QTGMC plugin in Hybrid promises, and Hybrid itself, though cumbersone for a GUI-oriented person like me , looks great. I can see the output in the Preview window. However, it does not output video, due perhaps to a python error? Since I know close to nothing about scripts, python, and the like (I manage well with on-line commands from old-times when I started computing with UNIX!), could someone please give me a hand for fixing this? Below is the script and the error message. Thanks!
    -celso

SCRIPT:

# Imports
    import os
    import sys
    import vapoursynth as vs
    core = vs.get_core()
    # Import scripts folder
    scriptPath = '/Applications/VÍDEO/Hybrid.app/Contents/MacOS/vsscripts'
    sys.path.append(os.path.abspath(scriptPath))
    # Import scripts
    import havsfunc
    # Loading /Users/xxxx/xxxPathHiddenxxx/1-Test.dv using LWLibavSource
    clip = core.lsmas.LWLibavSource(source="/Users/xxxx/xxxPathHiddenxxx/1-Test.dv", format="YUV420P8", cache=0)
    # making sure input color matrix is set as unspec
    clip = core.resize.Point(clip, matrix_in_s="unspec",range_s="limited")
    # making sure frame rate is set to 25/1
    clip = core.std.AssumeFPS(clip, fpsnum=25, fpsden=1)
    # Setting color range to TV (limited) range.
    clip = core.std.SetFrameProp(clip=clip, prop="_ColorRange", intval=1)
    # setting field order to what QTGMC should assume
    clip = core.std.SetFrameProp(clip=clip, prop="_FieldBased", intval=1)
    # Deinterlacing using QTGMC
    clip = havsfunc.QTGMC(Input=clip, Preset="Slow", TFF=False)
    # adjusting output color from: YUV420P8 to YUV422P10 for ProResModel (i422)
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.YUV422P10, range_s="limited")
    # Output
    clip.set_output()

LOG:

Failed to evaluate the script:
    Python exception: No attribute with the name lsmas exists. Did you mistype a plugin namespace?

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "src/cython/vapoursynth.pyx", line 1927, in vapoursynth.vpy_evaluateScript
    File "src/cython/vapoursynth.pyx", line 1928, in vapoursynth.vpy_evaluateScript
    File "/Users/xxxx/xxxPathHiddenxxx/tempPreviewVapoursynthFile16_35_23_268.vpy", line 12, in <module>
    clip = core.lsmas.LWLibavSource(source="/Users/xxxx/xxxPathHiddenxxx/1-Test.dv", format="YUV420P8", cache=0)
    File "src/cython/vapoursynth.pyx", line 1522, in vapoursynth.Core.__getattr__
    AttributeError: No attribute with the name lsmas exists. Did you mistype a plugin namespace?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by celsoac View Post

Python exception: No attribute with the name lsmas exists. Did you mistype a plugin namespace?

It means you didn't load the lsmash .dll dependency

In vapourysnth it's "vslsmashsource.dll"

I suspect it should be somewhere in the hybrid install directory

It might be a bit different on a mac, but in windows you load it like this, and the lsmas namespace is built into the .dll
    Code:
    core.std.LoadPlugin(r'PATH\vslsmashsource.dll')
    There is a database of various plugins, but note there are several lsmash versions, sometimes there are updated ones or variations not reflected in the database .

http://vsdb.top/

For example, there are some newer 2019 builds here. (But DV is very old, nothing has probably changed in the last 20 years, so you don't need the latest and greatest)
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176198

Alternatively , you can use ffms2 to load the .dv clip (and I suspect hybrid has that .dll bundled somewhere too as "ffms2.dll" )
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

It means you didn't load the lsmash .dll dependency

In vapourysnth it's "vslsmashsource.dll"

I suspect it should be somewhere in the hybrid install directory

It might be a bit different on a mac, but in windows you load it like this, and the lsmas namespace is built into the .dll
    Code:
    core.std.LoadPlugin(r'PATH\vslsmashsource.dll')
    There is a database of various plugins, but note there are several lsmash versions, sometimes there are updated ones or variations not reflected in the database .

http://vsdb.top/

For example, there are some newer 2019 builds here. (But DV is very old, nothing has probably changed in the last 20 years, so you don't need the latest and greatest)
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176198

Alternatively , you can use ffms2 to load the .dv clip (and I suspect hybrid has that .dll bundled somewhere too as "ffms2.dll" )
    Thank you. Well, Mac OS works differently in terms of libraries (.lib), directories, and symbolic links. But despite having done everything I've found, about installing l-smash, Hybrid for Mac still gives errors with QTGMC (not with other deinterlacers), either lsmas not found, or fmtc not found. Any help with QTGMC for Hybrid - MacOS would be greatly appreciated.

One thing I haven't done is try different versions of lsmash. I installed it fine, though, automatically, with > brew install l-smash , so it should have installed the right version for my OS.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Did you check this thread ?
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175522

Selur actually posted there with mediafire links , but he said he'd update hybrid, so they should be bundled

You should probably start another thread ; Selur (hybrid's author) probably won't look in this thread . Either post on selur's forum, or start another thread here, or one at doom9 (either in the vapoursynth or encoder gui subforums)

You can replace lsmash with ffms2 , and fmtc with resize (zimg / zlib) for functional equivalents

But those error messages are vapoursynth plugin issues, not necessarily hybrid the GUI issues . You're not loading or it's not finding the libraries
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Did you check this thread ?
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175522

Selur actually posted there with mediafire links , but he said he'd update hybrid, so they should be bundled

You should probably start another thread ; Selur (hybrid's author) probably won't look in this thread . Either post on selur's forum, or start another thread here, or one at doom9 (either in the vapoursynth or encoder gui subforums)

You can replace lsmash with ffms2 , and fmtc with resize (zimg / zlib) for functional equivalents

But those error messages are vapoursynth plugin issues, not necessarily hybrid the GUI issues . You're not loading or it's not finding the libraries
    Thank you. Yes, I thought about another thread. Selur said he wouldn't update Hybrid for Mac. I'll try it, though.
    Ffms2 doesn't load, either. Hybrid gives you the option of activating Vapoursynth preferences (see capture). None works.
    [Attachment 48774 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hybrid itself, though cumbersone for a GUI-oriented person like me
    Hybrid is a GUI. Before Hybrid, this sort of work required by-hand scripting.

Selur's done an amazing job.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Hybrid itself, though cumbersone for a GUI-oriented person like me
    Hybrid is a GUI. Before Hybrid, this sort of work required by-hand scripting.

Selur's done an amazing job.
    You clearly have a problem. You may know a lot about video, but you read very poorly, or you have a need to reply to anything I say. Of course Hybrid is a GUI. It surely is powerful. But it is cumbersome. For example, this (below) is the opening screen in Hybrid for Mac. For anyone who has not used Hybrid before, how do you select the input video file?

[Attachment 48776 - Click to enlarge]

Just ignore my posts, ok?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by celsoac View Post
    For example, this (below) is the opening screen in Hybrid for Mac. For anyone who has not used Hybrid before, how do you select the input video file?
    I haven't used hybrid before, mac or windows, and I'd guess input is probably the arrow button to the right of the upper field box . Similarly the output is probably the other arrow button on the lower field box . Most conversion software have input / output fields

Maybe he wanted it more streamline instead of everything spelled out and cluttered?

selur is active on several forums, you can provide feedback on the GUI if you want things changed

quit hijacking the thread
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You clearly have a problem. You may know a lot about video, but you read very poorly, or you have a need to reply to anything I say. Of course Hybrid is a GUI. It surely is powerful. But it is cumbersome. For example, this (below) is the opening screen in Hybrid for Mac. For anyone who has not used Hybrid before, how do you select the input video file?
    Just ignore my posts, ok?
    It's drag and drop.
    Or use the arrow to the right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hybrid.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	48777

Software has a learning curve. It'll take a good bit of time to fully understand Hybrid options. But it's worth it. And again, as a GUI, far easier than manual Avisynth or Vapoursynth usage.

I also suggest you stop being an ass to people who are trying to help you.

And perhaps open a new thread, as it is threadjacking. You're actually the interloper here, requesting help that is off-topic to the original topic, and you're not the original poster (not your thread).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Oh, and MacOS does NOT work that differently WRT libraries/dlls and symbolic links. Especially as it is a form of BSD unixlike. Once you know your way around, they translate pretty straightforwardly.

Scott
    Quote Quote