VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a PAL B/G tape from Tunisia I'm trying to capture using a Samsung SV5000 and ADVC700. It uses SECAM color according to this website, https://www.videouniversity.com/articles/world-wide-tv-standards/

The result I got is black and white when capturing in PAL and SECAM mode on my ADVC700. Samsung SV5000 is operating in throughput mode and the indicator is switching between NTSC and PAL-M constantly, I'm assuming it can't determine it's origin.

Attached is the video. It is also horizontally jerky, is there an avisynth script that can stabilize it?

Edit: Tunisia is using SECAM B/G according to this website. http://www.ediplomat.com/np/television2.htm
    Maybe the tape is MESECAM?
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by digicube; 22nd Jul 2017 at 18:55.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not PAL G. More likely SECAM G. Incompatabale with SECAM L (France). A true multi-standard VCR should be able to play this as intended.

Surely the jerkiness is a job for a TBC
    Quote Quote  
  3. Samsung SV5000 is a true multi-standard VCR and I'm using datavideo TBC-1000. Know any capture device that can capture PAL/SECAM B/G?
    Last edited by digicube; 22nd Jul 2017 at 18:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are confusing PAL B/G with SECAM B/G. Two very different standards.

Ok. That VCR does claim to play back anything. Maybe there is a particular menu setting. The SECAM G was also used by East Germany so that might assist.

And that TBC is AFAIK full-frame. Totally unsuitable for this. Read Lordsmurf's guide at DigitalFAQ
    Quote Quote  
  5. I was only allowed to choose between NTSC and PAL-M during playback in the menu settings.

I think the tape is black and white. Probably it was recorded originally on a SECAM camcorder and then copied onto VHS system such as NTSC/PAL, hence the black and white.

AFAIK, line TBC only fixes wavy lines. I'm currently trying to see if avisynth can fix the horizontal jerkiness.
    Last edited by digicube; 22nd Jul 2017 at 20:35.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by digicube View Post
    AFAIK, line TBC only fixes wavy lines.
    Not correct.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That Samsung looks like a repackaged version of my old Aiwa MV 1000 VCR......it's broken. It broke a long time ago.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by digicube View Post
    I was only allowed to choose between NTSC and PAL-M during playback in the menu settings.

I think the tape is black and white. Probably it was recorded originally on a SECAM camcorder and then copied onto VHS system such as NTSC/PAL, hence the black and white.

AFAIK, line TBC only fixes wavy lines. I'm currently trying to see if avisynth can fix the horizontal jerkiness.
    Did you try 'conversion' mode on the VCR. If the tape is original then you should then get a color/colour picture.

But if, as you now state, the tape is a copy, artifacts could have occurred in the copying process along with a inter-conversion to B&W (which may even have contributed to those artifacts) even a line-TBC might not correct them.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I tried the conversion, it didn't work. I think the tape is a bad copy. I agree a line TBC will not fix it because that is how it was recorded. That is why I'm looking to Avisynth/Adobe. I will try Adobe first since it's easier.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some things you should try (if you have not already)

1. Play the tape straight to a tv. If those artifacts are not there then it is a TBC issue

2. Take your current TBC out of the capture chain just in case it is that which is contributing to the issue.

Doesn't your ADVC700 have the same functions of the 300 ? If it does then there should be some form of line-TBC present.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have tried both but still same problem. I think ADVC700 has line TBC too, so my only option is Avisynth or Adobe.

Edit: Welp. Adobe Warp Stabilizer didn't work so I doubt Avisynth will work either, probably because it's VHS, a low definition media.
    Last edited by digicube; 23rd Jul 2017 at 17:44.
    Quote Quote  
  12. The video you attached in the 1st post is a good candidate for fixing with this Avisynth script:
    Software TBC 0.6
    (it's a line jitter remover based on picture content)
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'll sure give it a try but I don't have high expectations after the Adobe failure.

Edit: After watching the sample, I think I'm not gonna even bother. My hardware line TBC can do a better job than this software TBC.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by digicube; 24th Jul 2017 at 20:22.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Doesn't your ADVC700 have the same functions of the 300 ? If it does then there should be some form of line-TBC present.
    Just got a ADVC500, found out it has no line TBC, so

ADVC500 and ADVC110 = NO LINE TBC
    ADVC300 and ADVC700 = YES LINE TBC

looks like they used the same marketing strategy for the pro market too; i.e. get the more expensive one if you want this feature.
    Quote Quote