VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. All the stuff I had when it worked without problems:

PC specs: Asus Prime B450-PLUS, Ryzen 3400G, 16gb DDR4, Windows 10.

ADVC-100, Panasonic NV-HS950(also LG), Canon DM-XM2E(minidv), Delock Texas Instruments firewire card and 2x KkMoon VIA firewire card, many different FW-cables.

First time trying converting old tapes and everything worked like a charm. Build the computer, installed all that was needed, put cable between camera and Firewire card and used Scenalyzer to convert. There was 0 problems. Then one morning there was no connection.

All the things we have tried:

- Different drivers
    - 3 different FW-cards
    - 4 different FW-cables
    - Re-install Windows 10 many times with different versions(1809, 1909 and 2004, 20H2)
    - Change computer to totally different
    - Change computer to a third one with Windows 7
    - Changed PCIe ports
    - Many different programs, nothing works because nothing is recognized in device manager

Is there anything that I can do? The stranges part is that EVERYTHING worked perfect and then one morning there was no connection. I have checked this forum, asked in reddit, googled for many many hours, done all the things said above. I have lost hope totally.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Varg View Post
    All the stuff I had when it worked without problems:

PC specs: Asus Prime B450-PLUS, Ryzen 3400G, 16gb DDR4, Windows 10.

ADVC-100, Panasonic NV-HS950(also LG), Canon DM-XM2E(minidv), Delock Texas Instruments firewire card and 2x KkMoon VIA firewire card, many different FW-cables.

First time trying converting old tapes and everything worked like a charm. Build the computer, installed all that was needed, put cable between camera and Firewire card and used Scenalyzer to convert. There was 0 problems. Then one morning there was no connection.

All the things we have tried:

- Different drivers
    - 3 different FW-cards
    - 4 different FW-cables
    - Re-install Windows 10 many times with different versions(1809, 1909 and 2004, 20H2)
    - Change computer to totally different
    - Change computer to a third one with Windows 7
    - Changed PCIe ports
    - Many different programs, nothing works because nothing is recognized in device manager

Is there anything that I can do? The stranges part is that EVERYTHING worked perfect and then one morning there was no connection. I have checked this forum, asked in reddit, googled for many many hours, done all the things said above. I have lost hope totally.
    What you have done is actually a perfect troubleshooting process that sadly has confirmed that the ADVC-100 is broken.

I worked in a computer store during my university years two decades ago and would have gladly given you a new unit with only half of that story you just wrote.

Now, with old hardware you never know, it can actually be the fw cards or something else, but if I were to bet a body part I’d say the capture device is broken.

Generally speaking there was always more trouble with computer hw that worked in the analogue domain. TV-tuner cards and capture devices were somehow more frequent candidates in our RMA shelf.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks 88charlie!

Originally Posted by 88charlie View Post
    What you have done is actually a perfect troubleshooting process that sadly has confirmed that the ADVC-100 is broken.
    Sadly that has come to mind. It's still strange that at the same time also Canon DM-XM2E stopped connecting. That camera doesn't need ADVC-100 between.

I worked in a computer store during my university years two decades ago and would have gladly given you a new unit with only half of that story you just wrote.

Now, with old hardware you never know, it can actually be the fw cards or something else, but if I were to bet a body part I’d say the capture device is broken.

Generally speaking there was always more trouble with computer hw that worked in the analogue domain. TV-tuner cards and capture devices were somehow more frequent candidates in our RMA shelf.
    I have been doing computer repairs, data recovery and digitizing for 10 years now That's why this is making me crazy. Maybe just have to accept and buy a new device and try with that.

Is there any good alternative for firewire? There are those usb converters, are they any good? Is there one that is better than rest? I did use Magix once and it was decent but that was around 10 years ago.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks 88charlie!

Sadly that has come to mind. It's still strange that at the same time also Canon DM-XM2E stopped connecting. That camera doesn't need ADVC-100 between.

I have been doing computer repairs, data recovery and digitizing for 10 years now That's why this is making me crazy. Maybe just have to accept and buy a new device and try with that.

Is there any good alternative for firewire? There are those usb converters, are they any good? Is there one that is better than rest? I did use Magix once and it was decent but that was around 10 years ago.
    If the camera doesn’t work either, then we’re back to checking the firewire cards.

Has there been any thunderstorms in your area lately?

Are both cards and the onboard port showing up in device manager?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by 88charlie View Post
    If the camera doesn’t work either, then we’re back to checking the firewire cards.

Has there been any thunderstorms in your area lately?

Are both cards and the onboard port showing up in device manager?
    No storms, it's winter time here so no storms at all. Computer is not connected to internet so no new Windows update should be the reason.

Yes, all firewire cards show up in device manager. KkMoon VIA card drivers can't be updaded, it always crashes computer. Delock Texas shows and updates without problem.

I have already one more card coming up but it takes time to get here. And of course there has been already 2 cards ordered before and none work properly at the moment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Surely you contradict yourself.

Earlier you stated nothing shows in Device Manager but now you state otherwise.

To clarify, you can neither transfer from the vcr using the ADVC or the camera ?. Discounting the camera, which you were also asked to confirm is in 'working' order the issue must be the cards. Yet it would be odd in the extreme that all failed at once and on different PCs and OS's
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks DB83!

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Surely you contradict yourself.

Earlier you stated nothing shows in Device Manager but now you state otherwise.
    Sorry, english is not my main language and I can see that there is a mistake. I mean that yes, I can see the FW-card in device manager but nothing else pops up when something is connected on that card(x3). There should be something showing up yes?

To clarify, you can neither transfer from the vcr using the ADVC or the camera ?. Discounting the camera, which you were also asked to confirm is in 'working' order the issue must be the cards. Yet it would be odd in the extreme that all failed at once and on different PCs and OS's
    Yes, all programs tell me that there is no source to connect. ADVC(with 2 different VCR) and Canon Camera are not showing up in device manager(should they?) and there is no video source to connect.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can only write about Win7.

The firewire controller and driver details should show under IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller.

The ADVC (I have a 300) should show under Imaging Devices as 'AV/C Tape Recorder/Player' WinDV will also show this as the recording source not actually an ADVC xxx

As for the ADVC you have not inadvertingly toggled the top button to Digital Input rather than Analogue Input ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    The firewire controller and driver details should show under IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller.
    This shows up correct in Windows 7 and Windows 10.

The ADVC (I have a 300) should show under Imaging Devices as 'AV/C Tape Recorder/Player' WinDV will also show this as the recording source not actually an ADVC xxx

As for the ADVC you have not inadvertingly toggled the top button to Digital Input rather than Analogue Input ?
    That's the part I'm missing. Nothing pops up in device manager after connecting and WinDV, Scenalyzer etc. can't find any recording source.

I did tap the button but still nothing. There is two blue lights showing up.

I have now made another order for a new FW-card and cable. Let's see how that works when it arrives.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This shows up correct in Windows 7 and Windows 10.

That's the part I'm missing. Nothing pops up in device manager after connecting and WinDV, Scenalyzer etc. can't find any recording source.

I did tap the button but still nothing. There is two blue lights showing up.

I have now made another order for a new FW-card and cable. Let's see how that works when it arrives.
    what new firewire card did you order ?? maybe try the LinksTek PCIE FireWire Card - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlqxTt75Ntw
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My ADVC is working under the Canopus program but when it is turned on it is in Digital mode. The 300 controller switches it to Analogue mode and there are two red lights at the top.

When it is turned on there are two blue lights at the front and they are both on briefly. Now there is just one which varies whether the device is in digital or analogue mode.

So, yes, two lights on at the same time suggests some transport fault.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BTW Firewire cards (my understanding) do not require independent drivers - they use the ones provided by the OS (My Win7 driver is actually dated 2006)

If you are running one of these programs that claim to keep your drivers up to date then goodness knows what has happened.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Reboot the computer, Power up the ADV100 first then hook it up with firewire without anything connected to it, Try several times, if it is detected then connect the analog connectors, Ground loops and static charges do sometimes interfere with firewire protocols, As funny as it sounds it happened to me quite few times with one DV deck and one D-VHS deck, required several reboots and several cable disconnect combinations to get it to work. If all failed, the only explanation is a dead ADVC100.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Peek this article about switching to OHCI legacy firewire driver. Not saying it's the fix, but some devices need it.

https://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Firewire-1.htm
    Quote Quote