VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just installed AVSTODVD 2.8.6 .
    As in the Readme.txt file, under "NOTE for Windows Common Controls 6.0 ActiveX Library (mscomctl.ocx)" section , I have run into an error when I try to start AVSTODVD, giving me the "This file is not present or not correctly registered" error.

I found the file in the SysWOW32 folder in Windows folder and deleted it, as per directions.
    Following the directions in the readme I found the "mscomctl_reg.bat" and ran it as admin.
    I think the reg.bat program is trying to place the mscomctl.ocx file in System32 folder when it should be placing it in the SysWOW64 folder, so, when I try to start AVSTODVD I am getting a
    "The module "mscomctl.ocx" failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified pathor debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependant .DLL files. The specified module could not be found. " error.
    When the terminal window opens, it shows:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32>regsrv32 /u mscomctl.ocx
    C:\WINDOWS\System32>regsrv32 mscomctl.ocx
    Should it not show SysWOW64 in the path if it is trying to place it in the SysWOW32 folder??
    If so, how do I get it to do that? Can I open a terminal, as admin, and type it in?
    If not, what else can be wrong?

If I should be sending this somewhere else, pls tell me.

Thank You
    Quote Quote  
  2. All ocx are 32 bit and should be placed in syswow64. Just copy it there, start CMD from the same folder and register mscomctl.ocx.
    Quote Quote  
  3. andkar
    All ocx are 32 bit and should be placed in syswow64

mscomctl.ocx IS located in SysWOW64.

I am saying that I think the mscomctl_reg.bat program is looking in System32, rather than SysWOW32.

I am thinking this because when I run mscomctl_reg.bat, this is what shows in the cmd terminal:

C:\WINDOWS\System32>regsrv32 /u mscomctl.ocx
    C:\WINDOWS\System32>regsrv32 mscomctl.ocx

which would indicate [to me] that the mscomctl_reg.bat is looking in System32 folder.

And also the error is telling me:
    "The module "mscomctl.ocx" failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependant .DLL files. The specified module could not be found. "

So how can I change the [code?] in the .bat file so that it looks in SysWOW32 and not System32?

Or am I all wet and there is something else that needs doing?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just do what I wrote. Start CMD from syswow64. Run it as admin. The WoW will translate the path. Or edit the bat if you must run it from the 64 bit environment.

But it's not that complicated. Run the 32 bit CMD and all is well.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank You andkar
    Start CMD from syswow64. Run it as admin.
    I did this and got a msg saying it was successful.
    However, I am still getting an error when I try to start AVSTODVD.
    ERROR:
    Warning!
    Windows common controls 6.0 active X Library (mscomctl.ocx) is not present or correctly registered.
    This file is mandatory for AVStoDVD.
    Pls take a look at the dedicated section of 'ReadMe.txt' file for troubleshooting.

The 'ReadMe.txt says:
    NOTE for Windows Common Controls 6.0 ActiveX Library (mscomctl.ocx)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    AVStoDVD is developed with good old Visual Basic 6.0 and uses the ActiveX library mscomctl.ocx.
    This library is common and very likely it is already installed in your system (MS Office does include it).
    The Installer package does include mscomctl.ocx too, so it will takes care to install it if not present.
    Anyway, if there is already an old or broken mscomctl.ocx file, the Installer will not overwrite it.
    In that case AVStoDVD will complain. You have to:

· Delete any previous mscomctl.ocx files in your system folders (e.g. C:\Windows\System32 or C:\Windows\SysWOW64)
    · Run as administrator ..\AVStoDVD\Lib\mscomctl_reg.bat file

I have followed these directions, but still get an error when running the mscomctl_reg.bat file.

ERROR:
    "The module "mscomctl.ocx" failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependant .DLL files. The specified module could not be found. "

MSCOMCTL.OCX is found in C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64. I have tried deleting it from there as suggested in the ReadMe, but it changes nothing. I am running the ..reg.bat file from the AVStoDVD/Lib folder. Should it be run from the SysWOW64 folder?
    Is there anything else I can do to correct this?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I just tried and the AVSTODVD 2.8.6 installer installs the ocx correctly on my test machine. Unreg and reg also works as expected. There must be something else with your system.

Is the mscomctl.ocx version 6.1.98.34?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Is the mscomctl.ocx version 6.1.98.34?
    NO, it is 6.0.88.62.
    Where/How would I get the latest version?
    I have checked my Windows updates and they are up to date.
    Quote Quote  
  8. AVStoDVD package contains mscomctl.ocx version 6.1.98.34. Unfortunately Windows 10 does not include mscomctl.ocx library anymore.

- Delete any mscomctl.ocx file in your System32 or SysWOW64 folders
    - Download AVStoDVD 2.8.6 Installer package (https://sourceforge.net/projects/avstodvd/files/avstodvd/AVStoDVD%202.8.6/AVStoDVD_286...l.exe/download)
    - Run the installer. It will take care to reinstall mscomctl.ocx version 6.1.98.34.

Thanks for the report about the errors messages coming from mscomctl_reg.bat file. Next release (2.8.7) will have a fix for that.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank You _MrC_

Followed your directions re: post of 8th Jan 2018 11:58.
    I am now at the quick startup tutorial.
    Quote Quote