VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just got a Terapin (about 2 weeks ago). Basically like it, though I've got no experience with other VCD recorders to compare it with. I've run into a couple of problems, and I was wondering if any of you can tell me what's going on. Teroptix tech support is not returning my calls and the woman in customer service said she'd never heard of these problems.

One: I'm unable to copy the .dat files from the finished VCD to my hard drive for editing or playback. When I was reading reviews of the Terapin before buying, almost every one mentioned simply copying the .dat files to the hard drive, and converting them to MPEG 1 in order to either play them or edit them. I try to do it, and get told by Win 98 that the file can't be copied. Can someone tell me what I need to do?

Two: When I'm trying to record from older VHS tapes (new ones work fine), I sometimes get an effect where the video become simply a series of still frames, while the audio tracks remain unaffected. Perhaps this is what is referred to as "dropped frames", but I don't know all of this yet. I was wondering if this a sync problem which could be corrected using a time base corrector, or if I'm completely off base. Any input from those with more experience? I've got some older tapes I'd really hoped to transfer to VCD.

Thanks in advance, folks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I also have a tx-0002 VCD Recorder. I can't seem to record any more that 39 min.s before the recored starts acting up. I guess I'll call them monday and send it back. Video freezes, and the audio track is way off. Anyone that has any ideas why this is happening please contact me at mwhecloc@yahoo.com. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. To properly read the dat files from your VCD's, you're going to need the file Scsi1hlp.vxd in the directory C:\Windows\System\Iosubsys. If you are using Windows98 or later, chances are it is there, but has been renamed to something like Scsi1hlp.vxx.
    To convert the dat files to standard MPEG-1 files, you will need a utility like VCD Gear. For more info, go here: http://www.vcdhelp.com/convertdat.htm
    As for your other problem, I have not observed this on either of the Terapins that I've worked with.
    As for the other gentleman's problem, I'd say that the unit is probably bad. What did their tech support say?
    Good luck to both of you.

see ya,
    Bullseye
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Well I recived a new VCD recorder, and can record live broadcast, and from the DVD player, but a VCR Tape still locks up when recorded to the Terapin. any ideas why. please contact me if you have any seg. Thanks mwhecloc@yahoo.com
    Quote Quote