VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    I have an MKV video file (AVC H.264 video stream, AAC LC SBR audio stream, SRT text stream).

When I trim it (to the nearest key frame) with MKV Cutter 20170625, I get a video file called "video_withoutSubs", with no text stream.

When I trim it (to the nearest key frame) with avidemux 2.7.6 (Copy / Mkv Muxer), I get a video file with no a text stream.

Whichever program is suggested would need a GUI, so I can see the frame(s) I'm cutting on.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by kingmustard123; 15th Dec 2020 at 04:04.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use mkvmerge/global/split mode and select how you want to cut,it will keep the sub.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by kingmustard123 View Post
    I have an MKV video file (AVC H.264 video stream, AAC LC SBR audio stream, SRT text stream).
    Anyone have any ideas?
    You can use clever FFmpeg-GUI to cut the mkv. The subtitles are also cut and remain in place.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Use mkvmerge/global/split mode and select how you want to cut,it will keep the sub.
    When I launch mkvmerge, I see a command line window appear and disappear.

Can it be done within MKVToolNix GUI?

Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Originally Posted by kingmustard123 View Post
    Anyone have any ideas?
    You can use clever FFmpeg-GUI to cut the mkv. The subtitles are also cut and remain in place.
    Please see attached screenshot.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	eb_cleverff-1.png
Views:	1276
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	56255  

Last edited by kingmustard123; 18th Dec 2020 at 06:33.
    Quote Quote  
  5. [QUOTE=kingmustard123;2604091]
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Please see attached image.
    This seems to be a duration info problem.
    Retry with the newest beta https://files.videohelp.com/u/292773/clever_ffmpeg_gui_newest_beta.7z
    Quote Quote  
  6. Do you need to trim the beginning and the end or do you need to make cuts in between as wel?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bonnevue View Post
    Do you need to trim the beginning and the end or do you need to make cuts in between as wel?
    I need to trim some from the beginning, and some from the end. The middle part remains intact.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Look in your mkvtoolnix program in your accessories,there should be a gui that starts mkvmerge.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Look in your mkvtoolnix program in your accessories,there should be a gui that starts mkvmerge.
    If that isn't clear enough : mkvtoolnix-gui.exe
    mkvmerge.exe is a command line utility. Any parameter set in the GUI modifies the command line which is then sent to mkvmerge to perform the actual task. With more experience, one can operate mkvmerge directly from the command prompt (CMD) or a batch script (a text file containing a list of commands, with a .bat extension).

Also, MKVToolNix doesn't have a video preview, but you could use Avidemux to preview the cutting points and get the proper timecodes, then copy those timecodes into MKVToolNix. (If you hover over the relevant field with the mouse pointer, explanations should appear regarding the available options and the proper syntax.) Both Avidemux in "copy" mode and MKVToolNix (which does no re-encoding at all) only allow to cut at key frames, i.e. frames which are fully encoded and do not rely on adjacent frames to be calculated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    [QUOTE=ProWo;2604094]
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Please see attached image.
    This seems to be a duration info problem.
    Retry with the newest beta https://files.videohelp.com/u/292773/clever_ffmpeg_gui_newest_beta.7z
    I've managed to get clever FFmpeg-GUI working.

Cutting appears to work by timestamps (00:00:00:0000). However, MKV Cutter (which I'm using to visually discover keyframes) only tells me the frame numbers. I need 0-479 and 20880-22307 removing.

Originally Posted by abolibibelot View Post
    Look in your mkvtoolnix program in your accessories,there should be a gui that starts mkvmerge.
    If that isn't clear enough : mkvtoolnix-gui.exe
    mkvmerge.exe is a command line utility. Any parameter set in the GUI modifies the command line which is then sent to mkvmerge to perform the actual task. With more experience, one can operate mkvmerge directly from the command prompt (CMD) or a batch script (a text file containing a list of commands, with a .bat extension).

Also, MKVToolNix doesn't have a video preview, but you could use Avidemux to preview the cutting points and get the proper timecodes, then copy those timecodes into MKVToolNix. (If you hover over the relevant field with the mouse pointer, explanations should appear regarding the available options and the proper syntax.) Both Avidemux in "copy" mode and MKVToolNix (which does no re-encoding at all) only allow to cut at key frames, i.e. frames which are fully encoded and do not rely on adjacent frames to be calculated.
    I have opened MKVToolNix GUI (v51) and added the video file.

The only reference to timecodes I can find are on the Input tab, and are: 'Delay (in ms)', 'Stretch by', 'Default duration/FPS' and 'Timestamp file'.

Is this the correct section?
    Last edited by kingmustard123; 18th Dec 2020 at 06:45.
    Quote Quote  
  11. The only reference to timecodes I can find are on the Input tab, and are: 'Delay (in ms)', 'Stretch by', 'Default duration/FPS' and 'Timestamp file'.
    No : Output tab, “Splitting” section. It seems to support frame numbers although I've never tried this : select “By parts, based on frame/field numbers”, then hover over the blank field below for further explanations. It's stated that “the numbering starts at 1”, so you may have to shift the values by 1 if the frame numbers in MKV Cutter start at 0.
    Or with Avidemux you could get the timecodes/timestamps, then it would be “By parts based on timestamps”.
    Quote Quote  
  12. As a side note: cutting srt subtitles with MKV Cutter should work at least with the 'MkvCutter_r20190123_untested' version from 2019,... (I remember writing code for cutting srt/ass and idx/sub subtitles... -> yup there's code for it)
    So you might want to check the newer version too.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by kingmustard123
    I have opened MKVToolNix GUI (v51) and added the video file.

The only reference to timecodes I can find are on the Input tab, and are: 'Delay (in ms)', 'Stretch by', 'Default duration/FPS' and 'Timestamp file'.

In 'Output' -> Splitting --> Split mode: ---> 'choose mode'
    責任者-MDX
    Quote Quote