VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I purchased Episode 6 from Telestream for encoding to H.264 video in an MPEG4 wrapper. Episode 6 uses the Main Concept encoder.

The resulting files display black when opened with Quicktime Player 7, prior to starting playback.

HandyGeek posted about the same problem in "H.264 encodes start with black frame", Telestream's Episode Desktop for Mac Discussion forum, 8/26/2011.

Telestream Desktop Support says engineering is not going to put resources into fixing the issue because Quicktime Player 7 is an end of life player.

I'm told Episode 5 doesn't have the problem, and Telestream Desktop Support provided a link for downloading it and serial number to activate it. But it doesn't use the Main Concept encoder, and I don't really want to use it.

Can anyone speculate on what the problem is with the files? Would you consider this issue an Episode 6 bug, or a Quicktime Player 7 bug? What do you think of Episode engineering's decision?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Both are at fault, yet both are passing the buck.

Telestream needs to get their act together though, because QT7 may be end of life on the Mac (doubtful), but it's the ONLY QT player on the PC side (not counting VLC,mplayer, etc). What, are they just going to ignore all those customers?!!

If you know about this and still intend to use the Episode6 encoder, create your video clips with a fade-up-from-black-to-still and then once the fade is done, begin the motion. But I wouldn't stop hassling Telestream...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Scott. Great point about Quicktime Player 7 on the PC side.

I'm not getting very far with Telestream so far, but I intend to keep trying.

P.S. A free trial of Episode is available (videos are watermarked) if anybody reading this wants to observe the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This problem is fixed in Episode 6.3, according to a few quick tests that I did.
    Quote Quote