VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello

I have the movie "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales" on 3D Blu-ray. The movie does not include the subtitle I want.
    I searched online and I wasn't able to find a 3D subtitles, but I was able to find an ISO of the movie, that was re-encoded and authored with Sonic Scenarist. Somehow, they added the 3D subtitle I need.

How it is possible to rip those subtitles, so I will use it on the uncompressed-not re-encoded Bluray I have?

In addition, for another movie: how it is possible to add a 3D subtitle to an existing 3D Blu-ray movie? I only have regular (2D) subtitles...

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You cannot.

BD3D Subtitles require not just the picture data but also instructional metadata that tells the 3DBD player where to place the subtitle in the 3D plane.
    In 2D it is unnecessary as it it merely overlayed on top of the 2D video background. But in stereo 3D, since part of the sense of depth is determined by the disparity between the left and the right images, various titles all have differing amounts of disparity and thus differing amounts of depth, and often this is dynamic, changing throughout the duration of the program. So the 3D subtitle needs to have its 3D depth mapped dynamically to maintain its ability to "stay out in front", otherwise it would slice through or lay behind an image (yet still be visible) and generate a disturbing optical disconnect.
    This dynamic mapping TELLS the 3DBD player to generate the necessary L & R elements for the 3D sub. It does this UPON PLAYBACK, it is not "baked in".
    So to incorporate a new/different 3D sub, a new set of dynamic instructional metadata must be generated. This is done during authoring.

In other words...you MUST re-author, using a 3DBD authoring app that supports 3D subs. Aka Scenarist! Or something of that equivalent calibre.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you rip your BD disc to MKV format there are posts on this site to make a 3D compatible subtitle as an .ass format. You need to add the font FONT_THIN.ttf to the MKV file. I did as an experiment for my Dial M For Murder (1954) disc. Needless to say I didn't bother with re authoring an actual disc just have it on my NAS as a MKV file
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    But is it possible to do without creating optical distortions, dissonance & contraditions? Nope.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The method I followed simply produced centred subs front to frame much like any SRT file on a mono vision movie. Using my Popcorn A-500 device to playback the file located on my QNAP NAS to my old Samsung 3D TV.

I was not aware of any optical distortions

Notwithstanding my ancient eyes I do have perfect 6 ~ 6 vision.
    Last edited by netmask56; 27th Jan 2021 at 22:44.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can demux PGS streams from (any 2D or) 3D iso with tsMuxer or HdBrStreamExtractor. Should you want to use the SUP from the re-encoded version, you can mux it with your original disc image into new 3DBD iso with tsMuxer again.

SUP files are 2D and image-based. They contain the subtitle pictures, timings and horizontal & vertical screen-positioning coordinates.
    Display depth info of 3D subtitles is defined in so-called 3D-planes, which are muxed as SEI messages in the mvc stream. They tell the player what L/R offsets it should use. Eventhough these 3D-planes can be extracted, with current freeware at hand, I don't think it would be possible to import a 3D plane and mux it properly into the mvc stream of your original BD.

Of course you can try & assign one of the 3D-planes that are in your original BD already. There is a tool called "Verify 3D planes compatibility" which may help you choose the "most compatible" one. It's in the toolbox of BD3D2MK3D. As I do a lot of subtitle creating/editing, I consider this piece of software my workhorse for 3D subtitling projects. It has a bunch of priceless tools, IMO. One of them offers the possibility to clone the horizontal & vertical offsets of subtitles to yours. Can be enourmously handy.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    There is a tool called "Verify 3D planes compatibility" which may help you choose the "most compatible" one. It's in the toolbox of BD3D2MK3D. As I do a lot of subtitle creating/editing, I consider this piece of software my workhorse for 3D subtitling projects. It has a bunch of priceless tools, IMO. One of them offers the possibility to clone the horizontal & vertical offsets of subtitles to yours. Can be enourmously handy.
    Thanks for the review, Ennio !
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My pleasure, r0lZ.
    Quote Quote